Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Answers

change location
taxing's Profile Photo

Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido

by taxing Online Now Dec 19, 2003 at 5:15 AM

I'm planning a week in Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido in mid January. I'll be flying into Oaxaca from the U.S. I'll be in Oaxaca for a few days and then go to Puerto Escondido. Should I use public transportation or should I rent a car? I saw an ad for a company that rents bikes to tour the Oaxaca area. I'd like to ride around, and the ad says you can bike to villages in the countryside to see weavers and pottery and crafts. Is it safe for two middle age gringos to bike around? How hilly is the area?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • SamSalmon's Profile Photo

Re: Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido

by SamSalmon Online Now Dec 19, 2003 at 11:31 PM

The best way to get down to the Coast is to fly. Busing is the second best mode of travel and biking to PE is for fit people only-the area between the city and the coast is not 'hilly' it is MOUNTAINOUS. Yes the Oaxaca area is safe but how's your Spanish-few outside of Oaxaca city will speak English-many speak little Spanish-indigenous languages only. There are numerous tours to small craft producing villages I suggest you find one that suits unless you're fluent in Spanish. Renting a car would be something of a waste IMO-not cheap and driving on those mountain roads is anything but relaxing.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Prinsalsita's Profile Photo

Re: Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido

by Prinsalsita Online Now Dec 20, 2003 at 4:54 PM

i dont think is a good idea to bike to puerto. try busing instead and then rent a bike once you are in puerto. sometimes the roads are not too good because of the rain. when you are in Oaxaca try the famous "banana al horno" from Marco Polo restaurant . it is a superb dish And if you are into salsa dancing go to Candelas. it has live salsa almost every night

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido

by leffe3 Online Now Dec 22, 2003 at 6:08 PM

as with your later posting, fly from Oaxaca to PE. We had originally hired a car with intention of driving down (see Oaxaca pages for full story) but Alamo hadn't booked the car for us. Discovered it was cheaper to fly to PE (and return to Oaxaca) and hire a car for 2-3 days while in PE than hire a car from Oaxaca for 8 days. Also it was likely to be a whole day of driving in each direction. By flying we were in PE by 9am and left PE at something like 5pm thus gaining 2 whole days and avoiding a very stressful 2 days of driving...... As previously stated, Oaxaca is moutainous, not hilly. For about same cost of hiring a car ($40 -50), you can hire a taxi and driver fro most of the day - well worth it for Agua del Huerve (an absolute must see) and Mitla. Enjoy Keith

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines