Nottingham Travel Answers

change location
stevee's Profile Photo

Nottingham for 1 Day

by stevee Online Now Mar 8, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I will be arriving in Nottingham on a Thursday for a brief visit to the Nottingham City Hospital. Looking for some ideas on sightseeing and pubs to visit. I will be arriving by train, staying at the "Park Inn", and will not have access to a car.

Ideas?????

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: Nottingham for 1 Day

by hawkhead Online Now Mar 8, 2008 at 11:29 AM

There's the Castle, and the Art Gallery. Also the Caves.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 8, 2008 at 11:36 AM

But watch out for bandits in Sherwood Forest. I hear there's a group of them robbing the rich to give to the poor!

• Abeyna's Profile Photo

by Abeyna Online Now Mar 8, 2008 at 11:43 AM

"Ye Old Trip to Jerusalem" is one of the oldest pubs in the UK.. near to the castle.
    Also recommend cruising round the town square, visiting Hockley area with all the bars and night clubs.

The Nottingham Uni campus is probably one of the more aesthetic in this country.. plenty of buses from town go in that direction. After visiting the campus, head on towards Beeston and visit the pub next to the Beeston Train station; they do great meals; apparently won a few awards in Times magazine or something similar..

• raquelitalarga's Profile Photo

by raquelitalarga Online Now Mar 8, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Hi, I have a few ideas! To follow up on the previous reply mentioning the pub in Beeston... it's called The Victoria Hotel, is a traditional real ale foodie pub. However I would say that Beeston is quite a bus ride out of the centre and evening local trains don't stop as frequent as they should....so if you are looking for good restaurants and real ale pubs The Mansfield road has The Lincolnshire Poacher, The Golden Fleece and the Hard To Find cafe bar and at the top The Maze.
    The Broadway cinema in Hockley has a very popular bar restaurant and good independent movies. The Botanical Gardens in the centre (on the tram line) are charming. If you do take a bus to the University campus then also visit the art gallery and theatre on site near the boating lake. Check out the NCT website for bus timetables.

• Re: Nottingham for 1 Day

by brazzi Online Now Mar 8, 2008 at 1:57 PM

jerusalem is just outside the castle,reported to be the oldest pub in england.
    also another pub i forget the name,but5 minutes walk from the jerusalem walk down to castle boulevard,turn left and cross the road,a trendy sort of boozer that the canal flows through.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

by sourbugger Online Now Mar 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM

the caves - great idea. Also don't miss the galleries of justice. Avoid the Robin hood dark ride like the plague. ye olde trip to jerusalem - great, but there are better pubs in the city - checkout www.beerintheevening.com

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM

I think the post above that mentions the Robin Hood dark ride means the Place I am going to recommend - The Tales of Robin Hood in Maid Marion Way. We go every few years and never get bored with it.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

by sourbugger Online Now Mar 9, 2008 at 4:08 PM

yes, that is where i meant. the 'tales' of robin hood. we will just have to agree to disagree - i thought it was cobbblers. and overpriced. and incoherent. and historically inaccurate. and naff.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines