Norway Travel Answers

change location
michael89's Profile Photo

Winter tire

by michael89 Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I'll go to Norway at the end of April beginning of May and will be renting a car. Is there still snow on the road (especially in the north; Tromso)? Do I need to rent it equipped with winter tire?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

Re: Winter tire

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM

First things first the regulations says: "During the winter, you must drive with winter tyres with or without studs. All-year tyres can also be used. Use of studded tyres is allowed from 1 November - 15 April. In Nordland, Tromso and Finnmark studded tyres are allowed during the period 15 October - 1 May. Studded tyres may also be used outside these periods if the weather and road surface conditions make it necessary."

I think that it is not your decision, depends on the rental company, this is from Europcar:

"The driver is always responsible for correctly equipping the vehicle according to the weather conditions. For South and Central Norway it is forbidden to drive with studded tires or chains from the first Monday after the 2nd Day of Easter to October 31st. For Nordland, Troms and Finnmark it is forbidden from May 1st to October 15th."

"While renting with Europcar in Norway, all our cars will be equipped with snow tires. This is covered by a "winterfee" always included in the rate, from Nov 1st to April 15th."

As you know, forecasting is difficult especially towards future :) I think you should discuss with your rental office when you take the car then we are wiser.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM

By the way, we have here almost similar snow conditions and tyre rules than in Norway. I have once made "all-tyre-change-in-30mins" when we got 20cm snow and I had already changed summer wheels :) You can't do the same (and I don't like to), so hope that whether is snowless or all forecasts say that it's snowing when you take the car, then it's well equipped to you.

Where are you coming from, you don't mention it in your profile?

• michael89's Profile Photo

by michael89 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM

hi,

thank you for your help, sorry if my question sound dumb I just want to be sure because when I was in the process of renting the car it ask me if I want extra for snow tire (just wanted to know if it would be necessary or not)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Norway Travel Answer Locations