Norway Travel Answers

change location
michael89's Profile Photo

14min commuting at Hamar

by michael89 Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Hi,

I plan to take the train Oslo-Trondheim on the saturday. For this day the train is not direct and stop at Hamar for 14min. Do I have to change train or this is just a 14min stop? If I have to change train will I have the time (I will be with luggage)?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Crazywoman's Profile Photo

Re: 14min commuting at Hamar

by Crazywoman Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Which Saturday and what time?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • michael89's Profile Photo

by michael89 Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Saturday May4th. The train is at 14:34. Actually my whole trip is Oslo-Bodo and also what I don't understand is that the NSB website give me this train to Trondheim with the change at Hamar when there is a direct train to Trondheim at 14:02.

• Re: 14min commuting at Hamar

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 5:09 AM

What I don't understand is why the website doesn't give you the direct train to Trondheim at 16:02...

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 7:08 AM

The reason it is giving you the change in Hamar is that NSB is offering you the minipris of 299 and that price is highlighted in red. If you want to take the train with only the connection in Trondheim then you must choose the selection below the one offered at 1579 which is standard fare.

by michael89 Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM

ok but this strange because I could take 2 minipris (Oslo-Trondheim 14:02 and Trondheim-Bodo nighttrain). But is the one that stop at Hamar doable or 14 minutes would be too short to change train? (also are the train pretty good on time in Norway?)

by michael89 Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

thanks for your help, actually I have seen with the nsb and they said if I miss the connection then I don't get reimbursed since I don't have the minimum commuting time of 30 minutes between the train. So finally I'll take the plane.

by michael89 Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 4:40 AM

no it's not cheaper, Oslo-Bodo would have been close to 900nok round-trip and by plane it is 1300nok (and I'll actually go to Narvik but Bodo would have been about this price too) so a little difference but on the other hand the positive side is that it will give me 2 more days too enjoy.

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I don't get that 30 minute rule NSB. The only way I can interpret that is that they do't guarantee that the train will wait. If you however have a ticket, and you miss a connecting train because your first train runs late you can use that ticket on the next available train. Normal tickets are valid for any train on a route. Tickets that are train specific become non train specific as soon as a connection is missed because of a delay.

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Actually reading again the 30 min rule applies to compensations for delays. NSB gives you a 50% refund if a train is more than 30 minutes late. However, if you make a trip with a short connection, shorter than 30 minutes, you cannot claim this refund if you miss a connection.
    However, NSB does commit itself to transporting you to your final destination.
    So if you were to arriva at Hamar late, and the train to Trondheim via Roros has already left they must allow you on the next available train to Trondheim, which is the one via the Dovre railway, and which will get you there in time for the sleeper.
    But I suspect they will hold the train in Hamar in case the train from Olso is late, otherwise they'll have a lot of passengers on hand that they need to put up in a hotel (as the 16:07 from Hamar is the last one of the day to go all the way to Trondheim).

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM

NSB calls their standard tickets "fully flexible" which I interpret as not being linked to a particular train.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Norway Travel Answer Locations