Norway Travel Answers

change location
oRi_5's Profile Photo

Cruise itinerary with 10 month old

by oRi_5 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Hi all,

We're considering going on a cruise with our (then) 10 month old son at the beginning of May. Is May a good time to go and does the following itinerary of Royal Caribbean look good?

04-May Copenhagen, Denmark 5:00 PM

05-May Cruising

06-May Flam, Norway 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

07-May Geiranger, Norway 11:30 AM 8:00 PM Tendered

08-May Alesund, Norway 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

09-May Bergen, Norway 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

10-May Cruising

11-May Copenhagen, Denmark

Will there be suitable tours/excursions to do with a 10 month old (in a pushchair)? Any suggestions would be very welcome please! We found a good offer which will expire soon.

Thanks

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Cruise itinerary with 10 month old

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Hi - this sounds like a great cruise! If you check on RCI's site you'll see minimum ages for particular excursions. That should give you an idea of what is available. A good site to get specific recommendations is cruisecritic.com. Go to ports of call and find the appropriate forum. I'd recommend booking on your own though - will give you flexibility and cost less. You'll find tour/guide/driver recommendations on cruisecritic as well. Have a great time!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • evaanna's Profile Photo

by evaanna Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I haven't been on such a cruise but I have been to all the places you mention and I know it may still be very cold in Norway in May. I don't know about the other ports but in Geiranger the passengers are transferred to the port in boats while the ship waits for them in the middle of the fjord. That might mean that you won't be able to get back to your cabin before the time set for your return. And I don't quite see what you will be doing there with the baby for so many hours. Sitting at the restaurants? A bus trip up Dalsnibba is doubtful as there will still be snow there in May. Flam, Alesund, and I think Bergen too are no problem - the ships are easily accessible at any time but you'd better ask the travel agents about it.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:49 AM

evaanna wrote:
    in Geiranger the passengers are transferred to the port in boats while the ship waits for them in the middle of the fjord. That might mean that you won't be able to get back to your cabin before the time set for your return.

The tenders run continuously so you can always get back to the ship should you not want to stay on shore

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM

We went on a Norway cruise last year in July, I did take the time to write up our excursions which you can see on the inividual pages, we stopped in Flam, Bergen and Geiranger from your list. The only ship tour we took was in Flam and I wouldn't recommend that for a 10 month old but you should still be able to do just the Flam railway trip weather permitting. That is all train ride with a short stop to take photos of a waterfall, all of the cruise lines should have them. I also suspect that you can book on your own but the info I got on that was conflicting so we booked with the ship.

In Bergen, we just self toured, you can easily go up to the top of Mt. Floyen by funicular without a ship tour.

http://www.floibanen.com/

It looks like the buses start running in May for Mt. Dalsnibba, we booked in advance before we got there but there was plenty of availability on the buses. However in May they probably don't run as frequently and are probably subject to weather conditions.

geirangerfjord.no/bus-tour-t...

Maybe someone else can help with whether May is a good time to go, I waited until July because I wanted to make sure there was more light, you might search the Norway forum as I'm pretty sure I asked a similar question last year before I booked.

1 member found this helpful

• starship's Profile Photo

by starship Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I recently was looking at and researching a similar cruise on a different cruise line -- though the cruise I looked at left from Rotterdam. My research showed that the best month for visiting Norway, as far as good weather is concerned, was June. But having good weather is often more luck than planning. I think how easily excursions can be taken with a 10-month old depends on your family and your child. I know Flam has an incredible train journey that could be taken with your baby and should be OK to take a stroller/push chair on. If you take other excursions in other ports, it could be a bit of work to take your baby on and off buses or boats with the stroller but perhaps a baby backpack carrier might work. Of course, then you will also be carrying other necessary baby items with you. In other towns, you might want to consider seeing all that you can on foot rather than taking an excursion if that would work for you. Or you could also check to see if you can pre-book a private, guided tour while in each place if the cost fits your budget. Norway is an expensive country so it would probably be wise to bring everything you think you might need for yourself and your baby when you leave the ship.

• tmosterhus's Profile Photo

by tmosterhus Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I didn't read through all the responses, but from experience, this is what I will tell you. We have done "several" cruises with our now, toddlers. We traveled with them when they were babies too. A couple of things to consider: Your itinerary looks great, we did almost the same itinerary a few years ago. I believe June is the best time to travel. As for your 10 month old, keep in mind that no matter where you go, you will not have access to a carseat and a lot of tours will not allow you to bring an infant with you and if they do allow the infant, they usually have a tough time accomodating a stroller, so make sure you have some sort of portable tiny stroller that you can tuck under seats and carry when necc. You would be better to get a "backpack style" baby carrier instead of a stroller. If you need to keep milk cool, you will also have to specially request a refrigerator for your cabin. I would make sure you have powdered formula with you and all things necc for a baby, as northern Europe is extremely expensive.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Starship is right about Norway, it is frightfully expensive so plan on bringing what you need with you. We didn't eat off the ship at all, the port times weren't that long in most cases and we brought a snack with us from the ship just in case we got hungry. Norwegian food didn't seem like it was all that interesting, normally I might try the local cuisine but I never found anything that looked interesting

• oRi_5's Profile Photo

by oRi_5 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Thanks all so much for your quick replies! All were very helpful answers!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Norway Travel Answer Locations