Norway Travel Answers

change location

Norway Itinerary – Feedback Requested

by jdbs3 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM

We will travel to Norway for the first time this summer for 18 days, and traveling by car. The planned itinerary is listed below. I’d like to finalize it asap.

I don’t expect we will do much if any hiking other than some on flat terrain; just not packed for hiking and knees are ??.

To cut down on cost, we will stay in hostels, camp ground cabins, or reasonably priced B&B’s. I expect we will make most all of our reservations prior to leaving. Not the way I prefer to travel, but given the cost of Norway, a way to keep costs down.

I’m interested in any feedback, e.g.

• Is the number of days listed for each part of the trip reasonable?
• Any suggestions for either increasing or decreasing the days in a given area based on things to see or do?
• Any suggestions for additions or deletions for the overall route?
• Any suggestions on specific places to stay for each of our daily end destinations
• Any other comments?

Thanks.

Day

1- 3 - Denmark
4 - Evening ferry from Hirtshals Norway to Stavanger
5 – See Stavanger, camp near Pulpit Rock (skip climb – to much for the knees)
6 – Road via Sand – Ropeid – Hordatun – Josendal - Odda - to Lofthus
7 – Road via Kinsarvik – Utne – Jondal – Torvikbygd – Norheimsund to Belgen
8 – Bergen
9 – Begen
10 – Road via Voss – Vinje – Stalheim – Gudvangen to Flam (take ferry from Flam back to Gudvangen and bus back to Flam
11- Road via Undredaal (and back) – Aurland – Laerdal – Fodnes – Mannheller – Sogndal to Solvorn
12 – Road via Gaupne – Gjerde (see glacier) – Hoyheimsvik – Luster – Skjolden – Urnes (see stave church) – Solvern – Balestrand
13 – Road via Fjaerland – Skei – Byrkjelo – Stryn
14 – Road via Videsaeter – Grotli – Langevatn – Geiranger take ferry to Valldal
15 - Road to Alesund (see Alesund)
16 – Road via Vestnes – Molde – Bud to Kristiansund
17 – Road via Gjemnes – Sunndalsora – Oppdal to Roros (see Roros)
18 – Road via Tynset – Rondane national park toOslo
19 – Oslo
20 - Oslo
21 – Oslo
22 – Road via Drammen – Drobak – Fredrikstad (stop and see each of these towns) to Goteborg Sweden

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Norway Itinerary – Feedback Requested

by viewtheworld Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Hi, Will come back to the rest later. Superficially looking at your post, you don't need so long in Oslo!! Norway is more about the nature, eg Bergen area, fjords, Troll ladder road, etc :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • daarth's Profile Photo

Re: Norway Itinerary – Feedback Requested

by daarth Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM

This looks like a good plan. About a week to see the fjords is a good idea, since that is what Norway is about. But also the rout you chose between Stavanger and Bergen is worthwhile. But be flexible as you go, since you might enjoy some things more and other things less.

• Kaaskop85's Profile Photo

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Hi,

I think the schedule is really great and includes the best places in that part of Norway. I recognize many places. Bergen is a very nice city. Personally I would stay one day shorter in Oslo. From the capital cities in Scandinavia Oslo is the least interesting in my opinion, but of course still nice to visit. Perhaps you can use the extra day on day 15 or 18.

From Aurland to Laerdal you can take the long tunnel which is by far fastest. Inside there are three nice places with lights. But the scenery on top of the mountain is very nice. It takes more time, but it's worth it.

To visit I can suggest the glacier along the road north of Fjaerland and also the Briksdalbre near Olden or Loen. Further the view over Geiranger from the mountain Dalsnibba is beautiful.

Greetings,
    Rob

by jdbs3 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM

From Aurland to Laerdal, we will take the snow road as you noted.

RE: Glaciers - While I'd like to take a 1 hour guided walk on one of them, my wife doesn't want to. The alternative is to at least be able to walk up to one by ourselves, if possible, just to see the majesty of it. Is this possible with any of the glacier fingers?

RE: Snow road and other routes.

You'll notice I did not include the troll ladder road in my itinerary. Recalling a time when we drove up the side of a mountain (with switch-backs) in Spain, I panicked. We were on the inside hugging the mountain (2 lane road), but on the opposite side of the rode was just a low stone wall and the sheer drop off from there that one could see. I called this my 'white knuckle' driving experience. After watching a youtube video on the troll road, we both decided that was not for us.

So to my question - I have no feeling for how many such 'white knuckle' driving experiences I may encounter on the itinerary I mapped out. I'm also not sure one could see the fjords, etc. of Norway without some of this. So "get used to it" as a friend once said to me.

What might be the worst 'white knuckle' roads we will go over on this itinerary? How bad are they (yes, I understand this is relative), and any way to avoid the worst ones?

I hate to change anything I have, but would be interested in any feedback. Possibly they make a medication that would ease my fright? :)

thanks

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Honestly I don't know about walking on glaciers. I've seen some people doing it on some glaciers, but I don't know where to arrange it. If you only want to see the majesty of it then perhaps go to Briksdalbre near Olden. There you can walk until the ice. North of Fjaerland is nice too, but there is a small lake in between.

About ''white knuckle' roads ... most roads in Norway have barriers. The snow road Aurland to Laerdal and the road near Geiranger has a steep part, but I think it's fine. In your schedule I also saw Stalheim. There is a very steep part with 18 or 20%, but not to worry because they also have a tunnel.

by jdbs3 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Thanks all - all good input!

We will be in Norway from mid June through the 1st week in July. We are trying to determine what cloths to bring while traveling in the fjord area.

So for the Bergen through the fjords and on to Kristiansund, what is the average day time temperature at that time of year.

thanks

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I've had very nice sunny weather in summer with 25 degrees, but also a year with a lot of rain, fog and only 13 degrees. It's difficult to predict. Bring at least a warm sweater and coat.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Norway Travel Answer Locations