Northland Travel Answers

change location

Cape Reinga Tours

by Frankxvii Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Are these a safe deal? We didn't get a refund after we were forced to cancel a booking with one outfit? Since the company is not responsive, is there some other body (other than the Disputes Tribunal or Fair Go?), that we could approach?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Cape Reinga Tours

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Who or which company did not give you a refund?

There are several companies that run Cape Reinga tours. I went on a tour with Harringtons Cape Runners:

http://ahipara.co.nz/caperunner/

This one also has a good reputation but I have no personal experience:

http://www.sandsafaris.co.nz/

You have to read the terms and conditions of all tour companies to see in which case you get a refund or not. Some do not give refunds if you cancel less than 24 hours before a tour, others have different rules.

If you are forced to cancel a tour at short notice you might have a travel insurance which covers such costs. Just yesterday I got such an insurance.

For small claims as a Cape Reinga tour I would lay a complaint at the Small Claims Tribunal - with police it is only if large sums are involved.

A tour company might be a member of a travel association (which you would see on their flyers or website, for example Qualmark), then you can complain there.

And you should report them to Tourism New Zealand. They assist with laying complaints and contact the involved parties, here is the info and contact form:

newzealand.com/travel/index....

And we also have a Ministery of Tourism, and the minister BTW is Prime Minister John Key. So you can also write to him, see direct Email link on:

www.parliament.govt.nz

And then go to members and scroll to his name.

But first you should read terms and conditions if you can find any.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Cape Reinga Tours

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM

If you paid by credit card, file a claim with the credit card company and dispute the transaction. i.e. service paid for but was not delivered. They will go after the vendor and they do have a bit more clout than you do.

• Re: Cape Reinga Tours

by Frankxvii Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Thanks - the company publicises itself widely.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Northland Travel Answer Locations