change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• self drive tour of uluru and the olgas

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Mar 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Hello
      Is it possible to drive around the base of Uluru ? Like maybe do a mix of drive and walk around the base.

I am planning a 2 to 3 days visit in early july, with my 2 young children (8 and 6) and I find it hard to choose between an organised tour, the uluru express shuttle or just hire a car : I am not sure my kids could do the long walks in the time imparted by most of the organized tours but I would like them to do more than watch the sunset and take a photo !

more
    • self drive tour of uluru and the olgas

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Mar 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Hello
      Is it possible to drive around the base of Uluru ? Like maybe do a mix of drive and walk around the base.

I am planning a 2 to 3 days visit in early july, with my 2 young children (8 and 6) and I find it hard to choose between an organised tour, the uluru express shuttle or just hire a car : I am not sure my kids could do the long walks in the time imparted by most of the organized tours but I would like them to do more than watch the sunset and take a photo !

2 Answers Mar 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    • Places to stay in NT and time frames

Northern Territory Mar 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM

We are heading to NT in June from Sydney. Planning to stay at Ayres Rock (3 nts), Kings Canyon (2nts), Alice Springs (3nts), Tennant Creek (2nts), Katherine (2nts) and then Darwin (7nts). Would this be enough time in each place and are there any other places along the way we should see. We are travelling in a sedan.

3 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 4:41 AM
    • usnco's Profile Photo

Suggestions, tips etc

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Mar 12, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Travelling from Sydney to Uluru and return in Jan 2015 with my partner and two teenage boys 14 & 15. AM I MAD?
      Is it safe to sleep in a motor home on the side of the road? Also, any tips or suggestions on where to stay and where not to stay, and anything the boys might be interested in would be greatfully accepted. Thank you.

4 Answers Mar 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    • Uluru - Kata Tjuta

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Mar 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM

what are natural hazards that occur?

7 Answers Mar 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    • Guided Tour or self-guided tour

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Mar 7, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Which is the better option - guided or self-guided tour?

2 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    • marieana's Profile Photo

Going to Ayers Rock

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Feb 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Hi
      Is there any coach going directly to Ayers Rock Uluru from Sydney? Any details please
      or from Perth?

6 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    • Uluru and Olgas

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Feb 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Hi Myself and my 23 year old daughter will be in Adelaide early May. We have 3 days for Uluru and Olgas before heading back to Adelaide. Im a little confused and would hugely appreciate advice:
      Are there direct flights to Uluru from Adelaide?
      Can one hire a car in Yulara?
      We love camping but won't have tents. Can we hire in Yulara? Is there a decent backpackers as an alternative?
      Thanks

7 Answers Mar 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    • Rock and Rail package on the Ghan

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Feb 5, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Can anyone tell me approximately what time the bus returns to the hotel on Day 4 of the "Rock and Rail" package on the Ghan? We wish to do the "Sounds of Silence" dinner, which requires pick-up one hour before sunset, and I don't know if we'll be back in time. According to the brochure, Day 4 involves:
      1. Travel from Alice Springs to Uluru, which takes about 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
      2. Visit Cultural Centre and Arts and Crafts Co-op.
      3. Guided walk to Mutitjulu waterhole; view cave paintings
      4. Tour base of Uluru and discover Mala walk. (Does "discover" mean we actually do the Mala walk? How long is it?)

Seems like an awful lot to cover. Would we be back in time to leave one hour before sunset for the dinner?

1 Answer Feb 6, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    • Fly direct to Uluru or Alice Springs?

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Jan 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I am backpacking around Australia and just received a note from my Dad saying that he intends on joining me from the UK to see Uluru. Any tips on whether to go to Alice Springs or direct to Uluru as I gather you can fly with Qantas. Also, any tips on where we should stay? Obviously he's not a backpacker or fan of camping so those 2 options are out.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Kirsty

2 Answers Jan 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    • schooling in alice

Alice Springs Dec 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

We are a family with 3 kids 11, 10 & 5. We are moving to alice for a year or two and living in a caravan. Being white, I am just wondering about the right schooling options for my kids. Any suggestions? We both plan on working so distance ed or home schooling would not really suit us. I just want to know about the best schools etc. Thanks in advance

3 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    • Darwin in six days

Darwin Dec 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

My father served in the RAAF in WWII in Darwin. My sister and I are taking a "pilgrimage" to Darwin for 6 days, What shall we see and do? How can we go to see parts of Kakadu?

7 Answers Dec 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    • name of shop

Darwin Oct 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Hi I bought some 100% rayon hand made pants that were made in Indonesia that came in various colours in a shop in Darwin City. Does anyone know the name of the Shop. These pants were one size fits all. Thanks.

3 Answers Oct 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM
    • Uluru tours

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Sep 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I am looking for a 3 day camping in swags tour beginning and ending at Ayers Rock airport. Is there anything available that would fit that itinerary? Thank you!

4 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 3:59 AM
    • almost 3,5 days in Darwin area - help to optimise

Darwin Sep 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I am arriving at 1pm on Day 1, leaving at 6 pm on Day 4. How to see the most in that time? Can I still visit both parks, Kakadu and Litchfield? How to organize the time? Where to spend nights?

4 Answers Sep 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    • Safe to drive

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Sep 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Myself and 3 kids age 12,10 and 8 yrs are taking a slow drive across to Perth from Melbourne. I will be on my own as hubby is in Perth already, we have no time limits and would really like to do a trip up to Uluru and back down before crossing to Perth. My question please for anybody who has done Adelaide-Uluru section, is it safe for a woman and kids to do this? My car is AWD and 3 yrs old, hopefully should not break down. Is there enough passing traffic to help if there is a car problem?Thank you

10 Answers Oct 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    • KoalaB's Profile Photo

Campervan Hire

Alice Springs Aug 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

My husband and are looking at hiring a campervan in Alice Springs and driving to Uluru (Ayers Rock), the Olgas and Kings Canyon and would like some feedback from other couples who have done the same and perhaps some do's and don'ts!! From a female point of view I would love to hire one with a shower/toilet however am wondering if it's worth the extra $400 as we will probably be staying at caravan parks overnight anyway.

3 Answers Aug 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    • tayzm274's Profile Photo

Darwin to Kakadu

Kakadu National Park Aug 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM

how long does it take to get from Darwin to Kakadu?

11 Answers Aug 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    • glen006's Profile Photo

Driving holiday from Darwin to Ayers Rock

Northern Territory Jul 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Hey,

My wife and I were thinking of doing a driving holiday from Darwin to Ayers Rock, probably at the end of the wet season, around May or June and just looking for advice as to whether we're allowing long enough, too long, and what sights we should make sure we see and activities we should do.

We were thinking of a few nights in Darwin, with a day trip to Litchfield.

Then one day to drive from Darwin via Kakadu to Katherine

Another day from Katherine to Tennant Creek

Another day fromTennant Creek to Alice Springs

Another day from Alice to Uluru, and a few nights there.

Is there anythin we should spend longer on, Kakadu, anything along the Stuart of interest or in Alice?

We are in our early 30's with a keen sense of adventure, we like good food and drink (I'm aware there'll be none of that on the Stuart!!)

Any advice would be appreciated.

9 Answers Jul 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM
    • Gold Coast to Uluru - Best Bet for a Week

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Jul 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Ill be in the Gold Coast for a week at the end of August. I really want to go see Uluru. Flying looks like the only option. What are the best airports to fly in and out of? Best places to stay in Uluru? Rent a car from Alice Springs? Any info would be great! :)

3 Answers Jul 30, 2013 at 1:37 AM
    • job searching

Darwin Jul 18, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I am heading back to aus after spending 10 months in Melbourne there. I want to try a different adventure. thinking bout starting in Darwin and working way down east coast, but picking up work along way. Has anyone worked in Darwin, what sort of jobs are there, and how easy are they to come by? thanks!

2 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 4:05 AM
    • share car for urulu and soroundings dates 10 uo to 17 july 2013

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Jul 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Hi, my name is carolina, i am looking for sharing a car to do uluru and soroundings by the 10 to the 17 july, 2013, anybody interested? My mail is carolacarola.cr@gmail.com. thank you

2 Answers Jul 2, 2013 at 3:17 AM
    • BIG TRIP AHEAD!!

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Apr 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Hello there,
      Myself and my co-worker are taking 6(max) kids on a driving/camping adventure from Melbourne to Uluru beginning June 28th until Sunday 7th July. These kids are on their Learners.. what would be the best route and are there any nice stops/attractions to see on the way!!

Any information would be a great help as this planning stuff is very overwhelming!!

5 Answers Apr 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM
    • Has anyone done tours with Groovy Grape travels in Adelaide/Alice Springs.

Alice Springs Feb 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Am considering them for tours in and around the Aldelaide/Alice Springs area. Especially this one - groovygrape.com.au/6dayadela... If anyone has reccos for trips starting from Adelaide and ending in Alice Springs, that would be great too.. I am looking forward to do the Uluru, Kings Canyon and maybe Kangaroo Island. Realised pretty late that my tickets have to be booked that way!! Thank You!!!

4 Answers Feb 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    • A five day itinerary in Alice Spring

Alice Springs Feb 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I am going to be in Alice Springs for five days between March 20th and 25th, after which I am planning to board the Ghan and go to Darwin. I am planning to do Uluru and King Canyon while I am in Alice Spring. Maybe do coach tours. Does anyone have good reccomendations for this. Also, what else do you think I should be doing while I am there - I can think of Larapinta Trail, has anyone else done it - is it really as awesome as everyone else is making it out to be.

Additional Details: I am going to be travelling alone, so no driving for me. Planning to stay in the YHA hostels everywhere. I am an Indian, female living in Australia for the last three years. I am getting back home in a few months time and am doing a three week see as much as you can trip before I leave. Thanks!!

16 Answers Feb 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    • LisaW43's Profile Photo

Uluru to Broome

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Jan 16, 2013 at 2:54 AM

I'm planning a trip to Australia in May and am hoping to visit Uluru and the surrounding area and then travel to Broome to do a tour to Darwin.
      The travel agents are telling me the best option is to either fly to Broome or do a tour up to Darwin, do the Darwin to Broome tour in reverse and fly out of Broome (via Perth) back home. Does anyone know of a better way I could see everything? I was hoping there would be a circular tour that left Darwin and returned to Darwin visiting the Kimberleys etc on the way but as yet I haven't found any.

Thanks for your help.
      Lisa

5 Answers Jan 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    • Jim Jim & Twin Falls in May

Kakadu National Park Nov 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Hi
      We are planning a trip of the Darwin/ Kakadu & Katherine Regions in late May 2013. One of the areas I have read about which interests us, is the Jim Jim falls and Twin falls area. We will be hiring a 4WD from a hire car company (and need to read the fine print on using this) but I cannot find much information on whether this is feasible or not.
      Is there enough water running in the falls at this time of the year, and therefore worth the extra money to hire a 4WD, as this is really the main reason for us to do this.
      I researched doing a tour of these falls, but they don't start until June, so this bothers me a little as well, as is it unsafe for us to drive in this area?
      Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
      Leigh

4 Answers Nov 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    • Snuggles2012's Profile Photo

9 months to plan

Darwin Aug 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM

So I am an American living in Australia now, moved from Victoria here to Kalgoorlie western australia bout year ago my husband and i are planning on a trip in late May to NOrthern Territory via Alice Springs and all that for approx 8 weeks. Looking for suggestions on where to go wat to see and do from anyone interested in chatting about it to me. things to see, things to avoid, tourist traps, hidden gems. not just in NT but also up Northern WA. Husband and I have 4wheel drive wed like to try while out and about so any suggestions...Thanks a bunch

8 Answers Aug 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    • Cahill's Crossing/Stone Country Festival

Darwin Jul 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

We'll be in the Darwin area in late Aug. We're hoping to go for a few days to Kakadu, then to the Stone Country Festival on August 25. We will be borrowing a friends car (not hiring) and they've said it's ok to use it off-road, but I believe it's 2WD. Will we be able to make it across Cahill's Crossing, if we chose the right time? I'd really love to go the the festival, but don't want to damage the car or drive all the way out there to discover we can't make it across. Any other advice for the area, Kakadu, Nitmulik, or the festival would be much appreciated.
      Thanks!

6 Answers Aug 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM
    • xantylaol's Profile Photo

Enjoying Darwin a couple of days in July

Darwin Jun 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Hi!

I'm gonna travel to Darwin in a few days and I've done some research on the tours and stuff you can do there. I really wanna experience the nature and see as much as possible. I have three-four days roughly, and I would like to focus primarily on the landbased tours, even though the ocean is great as well. What are the best tours I can take now? I've targeted these as good options so far:

1. Venture North Daytrips: http://www.venturenorth.com.au/
      2. Litchfield Day Tours: http://www.litchfielddaytours.com/
      3. SeaDarwin: http://seadarwin.com/

What I want to experience is as much as possible of genuine nature, wilderness, wild animals and landscapes combined with a guide with a lot of factual knowledge, competence and passion for these things who wants to share. If travelling alone with the guide and not a group is the best option, that's ok.

I'm travelling alone, am fit, used to rough terrain, heat, humidity, wild animals and whatnot and like to get out there :)

I hope you can give me some tips and recommendations on what I should focus on.

Secondarily, tips on nice stuff to do in Darwin itself is appreciated - like where to grab some good food, good place to grab a beer during the evening, and so on. I also noticed the Botanical Garden as a probable nice place to visit.

Thanks to everybody who takes the time and effort to assist! :)

Chris

10 Answers Jul 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    • major advice needed for a camper van trip to Uluru from Adelaide

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Jun 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Hi everyone,
      we are in Australia in August going from Sydney to Perth in a Campervan, and would love the diversion to Uluru.

So, can i ask what the road is like from Adelaide to Uluru, gas stations (are they frequent?), how long in a camper van is the drive? and lastly and most important i suppose, can anyone recommend any good camp grounds for a single night? (i think 1 night will do it as we are rather nomadic and we are on a limited time to get back to the coast road and Perth.

Any help and advice appreciated.
      cheers
      Dave

5 Answers Jun 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM