Northern Mariana Islands Travel Answers

change location

Finding work in Northern Marianas

by monkeylady Online Now Oct 23, 2004 at 11:22 PM

Hi! I am originally from the UK, now teaching in Japan, and when I leave I would like to work in the northern Marianas or in Micronesia teaching Enlish as a foreign language. I have degree, TEFL cert, 3 years experience etc. Does anyone know how easy it might be to find a teaching job in this region, or have any tips? Thanks for your help!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: Finding work in Northern Marianas

by rose96950 Online Now Jan 26, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Hi there Monkey,

The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) with islands like Saipan, Tinian and Rota are Dependent Territory of the US. They have their own immigration rules but pretty much follow US rules. Also when it comes to working on Saipan, I guess u pretty much need to comply to US regulations (green card and things).

Public schools are managed by the PSS (public school system) and there are some private schools. People in Saipan have the feeling things are going pretty badly there in an economic sense (basicly its the withdrawal of low wage garment industry which is unavoidable anyways with China that close) and a number of people leave the island, among which teachers. So they re pretty much in need of teachers I guess, but if u qualify i dont know.

For more information try geocities.com/saipan_info/sa..., http://www.cnmi-guide.com, http://www.cnmi.net and pss.cnmi.mp/PSSCentralOffice...

Good luck

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • uuchristine's Profile Photo

Re: Finding work in Northern Marianas

by uuchristine Online Now Apr 9, 2007 at 2:29 PM

I am a teacher as well. I finished my four year degree, and my teacher credential at Cal State Univ. Fullerton. I am currently looking for a teaching assignment. As all candidate teachers in southern CA know, teaching contracts are few and far between with each opening there must be a thousand applications.

I am registered with www.teacher-to-teacher.com I just recvd. an email from teachertoteacher with openings available in NMI Here is the contact information. teachers.com For more information, please send an email to psshro@yahoo.com or diazr@pss.cnmi.mp This is a legitimate site, I checked it out before copying it to you.

How was teaching in Japan?
    Best of luck and keep us posted

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Northern Mariana Islands Travel Answer Locations