North Yorkshire Travel Answers

change location
smeans2's Profile Photo

Shopping for food in Wensleydale

by smeans2 Online Now Apr 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Hello. We have let a cottage in West Burton, Wensleydale, for a week this August. I have traveled through the area, but I have little sense of the shopping options (I stayed in Ripon and toured the dales from there). Does anyone have any suggestions for food shopping in/near Wensleydale? We would be especially interested in good quality prepared or semi-prepared foods, à la Marks & Spencer, so that there can be less time spent cooking and more time enjoying the dales. We are vegetarians and we do cook, but on vacation we would ideally like to find quality shortcuts if possible. Not looking for places to eat out (unless there is something not to be missed). Many thanks in advance. --Spencer

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • BesarRahasia's Profile Photo

Re: Shopping for food in Wensleydale

by BesarRahasia Online Now Apr 12, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Hello
    well as you already know it's a lovely part of the UK, and in particular West Burton, however for your particular food requirements, then I would have to suggest that the nearest place for that would be Harrogate or Darlingtom, (Harrogate gets my vote though) both are quite a distance from your base.

There are of course smaller towns and hamlets around , which may have something that you can get, but I really think that you will have to buy produce in one of the many local markets and prepare it yourself.

Bedale has a really good market with fruit and vegetables every Tuesday, there used to be a speciallity deli/cafe at the top end of the main street, opposite the tourist information centre, but it has been a couple of years since I was there,so don't know if it's still open.

Leyburn is larger and has a bigger selection of shops, but nothing of the Marks & Spencer food type of thing market day there is on Fridays

Richmond may have something, but it has been so long since I was there I can't remember whats there.

There is a fairly good website about the towns in Norht Yorkshire

http://www.northyorkshiretowns.co.uk

Hope you have a really great time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Shopping for food in Wensleydale

by Sjalen Online Now Apr 13, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Yes West Burton is lovely - it's where James Herriot spent his holidays. Funny how he never left North Yorkshire once he settled :)

I think Leyburn is where you will have most success in the immediate area since there are quite a few shops there even if I cannot think of a special one with semi-prepared stuff.

Hawes also has a few things since it is geared up for hikers and walkers who want easy to pack ready stuff but that's of course not always fresh stuff which I assume you're looking for - then you're better off with Hawes market which I think is Tuesdays.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular North Yorkshire Travel Answer Locations