North Rim Travel Answers

change location

Picnicing at the North Rim

by goldengopher0075 Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM

We are planning a trip for August 2012 and we are staying at the Grand Canyon Lodge. We'd rather bring and eat our own food. Can anyone tell us if there are places to grill at the North Rim? If so, where are they? Thanks for the help.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Picnicing at the North Rim

by goodfish Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM

To my knowledge, the only grills that may be available are at the campground and those are really for campers leasing those sites. It's possible you may find one no one is using but I'm guessing the campground will be full.

CLast I knew (and can tell from the NPS website) charcoal or wood fires are strictly prohibited anywhere else but those provided at the campgrounds because of fire danger.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Picnicing at the North Rim

by goldengopher0075 Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Thanks for your response. Do you think we could use a small portable gas grill at picnic areas?

by goodfish Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM

It's possible, depending on the fire danger at the time you'll be at the canyon. Probably the best thing to do? Email them with your question - you can do that here (click "General Information" and a form will come up):

http://www.nps.gov/grca/contacts.htm

You could ask about grilling of ANY kind (charcoal/gas) just to see if they might say it's OK to use those at the campground even if not camping, or to bring along a small charcoal/gas unit of your own. It could be that the issue is more WHERE you do it than doing it at all, and they'd have some good suggestions.

I have emailed questions about others of the National Parks and it can sometimes take a few days for them to get back to me 'cause they're pretty busy but they WILL return your message. :)

On a side note, do you just happen to be from Minnesota, Goldengopher 0075?

by goldengopher0075 Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I did email and their response was "The only place to grill on the North Rim is at the campground. However, to use the grill you would have to be staying at the campground." I think I will now respond back with can I use my own portable gas grill. Hopefull they will say yes. We really don't care to eat out for a week straight. And yes, we are from MN. The Gophers are playing UNLV over Labor Day weekend, so we thought we'd visit the Grand Canyon, Zion AND see a football game.

by goldengopher0075 Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I did email and their response was "The only place to grill on the North Rim is at the campground. However, to use the grill you would have to be staying at the campground." I think I will now respond back with can I use my own portable gas grill. Hopefull they will say yes. We really don't care to eat out for a week straight. And yes, we are from MN. The Gophers are playing UNLV over Labor Day weekend, so we thought we'd visit the Grand Canyon, Zion AND see a football game.

by goodfish Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Lol- I'm from Minneapolis and figured anyone tagged Goldengopher must be a local! Good luck with your picnic- you might be eating a lot of cold sammies. They might say ok to a Peak stove?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines