North Korea Travel Answers

change location

Entering Japan with NK visa/stamps

by perapoma Online Now Mar 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Hi,

Does anyone have experience in entering / re-entering Japan after a NK tour?
I am a temporary resident here in Japan, and I'm thinking of taking a tour to North Korea leaving and returning from Dandong, while being in China.
In principle, NK Visas are not attached to the passport, but I have heard many "stories" from Japanese colleagues about potential complications at the time of coming back to Japan.

Does anybody know whether there is anything to worry about? Can I expect questioning at Japanese immigration?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Entering Japan with NK visa/stamps

by aidanaidan Online Now Mar 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I just got back from the DPRK and a guy on my trip was a resident in Japan and planning on heading back there. I've not heard from him (his stay was longer than mine) but I suspect he'd have checked it out before leaving.

As you note about visas, there'll be no DPRK mark or visa in your passport after you leave unless you bribe it out of one of the officials, so I'm not sure if they'll even be able to tell if you've been there. I managed to get a stamp and as far as I understand from conversations with travel agents etc. there's not a lot to worry about.

Anyway good luck with the trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by perapoma Online Now Mar 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Hi aidanaidan,

Thanks a lot for your answer. This is also what I heard from Japanese travel agencies, but just wanted to make sure.

Anyway, if you happen to have the contact of this guy who was coming back to Japan, would you mind emailing it to me, so that I could ask him directly about his experience?

Thanks a lot

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Entering Japan with NK visa/stamps

by DSwede Online Now Mar 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I went to DPRK to Korea, then to Japan about 3 months later. There is no stamp or mark in the passport. Japan will only know you went to DPRK if you tell them you did.

Honestly, if you are not a North Korean yourself, I do not see that they would give you any problems. I did not tell the Japanese immigration officers, but I did tell my Japanese friends. They were all genuinely curious.

by uristeve Online Now May 7, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Watch out for the new Chinese 72-hour visa and returning to Japan. If you mention you went to North Korea at customs (they will ask you where you went without another stamp) they will open your bags and confiscate items they think you bought in North Korea.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular North Korea Travel Answer Locations