North Korea Travel Answers

change location

Guidelines.. cams and phones

by divinebaal Online Now Aug 5, 2005 at 1:56 AM

Hi. Sorry for being a n00b and skipping the "UTFSE"... but this is a more direct way to get the best answer.

I will be going on a 3 nation trip in Oct. (China - North K - South K) and have some minor questions.

When I travel I always looks like a japanese tourist with cameras hanging all over. Usually I have one SLR with 2-3 extra lenses, one or two digital cams and one videocam. (yes - I KNOW!!)

My travelagent sent me a "what to and what not to" stating that there might be some problems with cameras. They supposedly do NOT like videocameras and cameras with lenses greather than 150mm. And if the gear looks like "pro equipment" they might seize it at customs. I could leave my bigger lenses at home but.. I don't want to!! And I have no probs with the local rules, but since I'll be snapping shots in China AND South K.. I want my gear!

And on another site I saw that mobile phones where also seized at customs.

So my questions are:
* What kind of photogear should one take and what should I DEFINITIVLY NOT bring.
* I can perhaps live with some stuff taken by Customs if there is a certainty that I'll get it back when I leave.. but do they?
* anything else regarding electronics that might be a problem? Portable mediaplayer, iPod, portabe DVD-player and so on??

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular North Korea Travel Answer Locations