North Eastern Province

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Food and drink?

Sri Lanka Jul 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

going to sri Lanka in 3 weeks (late booking), roughly how much can we expect to spend on meals, both in hotels and cafes? Going with our 2 teenage boys who have hollow legs so won't be fine dining too often!

more
    • fergal26Solo's Profile Photo

Rough Route Any Help Please!

Sri Lanka Jul 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Hello,
      I'm hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction and Help me. I'm going to Sri lanka for 17 Nights, Arriving on the 1st of September. I’m 26 travelling on my own. Therefore I'm honestly a bundle of nerves but it’s something I really want and need to do for myself.

Knowing Nothing about Sri lanka. I bought A Lonely Planet Guide book. I've read a fair bit about certain places besides the North. To say the least it's hugely overwhelming. Even beginning to put an itinerary together is seriously daunting there's just so much to choose from and too much info on the net. That's why I turned here. Anyone’s guidance on a route and how to get from A to B would Be Invaluable.

Initially I had written down in my Things to Do list:

See Elephants and National Park
      Go for A longish cycle (Day-trip)
      Train Ride (Perhaps through the Hills)
      Some form Of hike forest-jungle
      See some wildlife + (See Some stunning Views)
      Sigiyara
      See Some Impressively big Buddha Statues

Now after reading about Colombo, West Coast, The South, The hill Country, The Ancient Cities and the East my mind is boggled. My List has morphed into another Guidebook. The last thing I want to do is be running around like a headless chicken trying to see too Much .I'm clueless which direction to start going. I'd like to see some Nice views, wildlife, Rural Villages and experience Sri lanka and its people not at a frenetic pace. I'm not really interested in history to much and I'm not a mad drinker also I will be on a budget so I doubt I’ll be hiring Drivers at all. Any tips on how to fit these in or the best approach or any advice would be more than welcome.

The only part I have decided on is to go to Negombo Over Colombo, So I will start out from here. It sounds like a place where I would be able to do a nice cycle and see some fishing towns. That’s what id really love to see authentic Villages and People. The only other concrete conclusion I have is it will have to be either the West or East coast to see some nice beaches both sound great. Galle again doesn’t hold too much to interest me, but it would be nice to see some nice beaches on the way south on the west coast and some towns and villages. So Maybe The south coast might be worth it (Love Fishing) It’s a toss up between west coast and The east coast for beaches. The east coast sounds a lot more interesting given its struggles over the past few decades and Argum bay and around sound equally nice any Opinions.I’m leaning towards the East.

Negombo-West Coast-South (Either option would give me a good foundation
      Negombo-East to start my trip)

The hill country sounds great (God It has So Much to Offer and I Bet Id get Great Views) I would like to see Horton plains – Worlds End .What stood out here was Sinharaja forest reserve for a trek (Even If Only for the day) or the Knuckles Range any advice would be Fantastic and also any recommendations for the hill country .I hear Nuwara Eliya and Ella are nice but I don’t want to bite of more than I can chew. What I have added to my original Wish List is Anuradhapura and Mirissa also Sounds Really Nice. So From my original list to Sinjahara ,Anuradhapura etc and the other places I have mentioned Could Anyone suggest what is achievable and what isn’t worth it. I’m Not sure where to fit the National Park into all of this Maybe once I have a rough route There may be one that will suit in the area I am in.

I’m sorry for the ridiculously long Questionnaire. I feel this trip is out of my depth at the moment and if I had a Rough Idea of where I was going I would be an awful lot happier so any Feedback I’d be So grateful.
      Thanking you
      Fergal

more
    • herathsasi's Profile Photo

mihinthalaya destination in srilanka

Mihintale Jun 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM

what is mihintale in anuradapuraya

more
    • fergal26Solo's Profile Photo

Revised Route September 1st (Any Input Very Welcome)

Sri Lanka Jul 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Hey
      Im wondering if ye would be so kind as to give me your thoughts on what I have been thinking following my last post.I promise I wont annoy ye too much anymore but I could do with the advice.

Looking At the Map I'm Wondering Is this feasible in the 17days and also How would be the best way to travel between each..

Negombo (2-3 Nights)
      Sigiriya (Habarana Nartional park) and do my cycle trip
      Anuradhapura
      Trincomalee (2-3 Nights)
      Maybe one more stop on the east coast
      Sinharaja (2Nights)
      Haputale (2Nights)

(Nights in each Place Just guessing But I dont want to Rush)

Therefore I would Skip Kandy and Finish my trip In Haputale.I think I would Be quite Happy with this Itinerary.Seem's to be a good Mixture. I'm Unsure where to base myself and for how long in Sigiriya (Habarana National Park) And Anuradhapura. What Do You think! And Ill be heading to trincomalee after.

I finally feel I am getting Somewhere thanks for the Ideas Guys :)

Thanks Fergal

more
    • Ideas for a beach stay - 5 days free in Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka Jun 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Hi, we are 2 ladies visiting Sri Lanka from Australia in late August and have 5 days for a beach break before going on a tour around the country to see the main sights. We will be spending the first few days in Hikkaduwa so will travel from there, before starting the tour in Negombo.
      Any suggestions of where would be good to spend these 5 free days at that time of year? We are happy to get off the beaten track a little but prefer to spend it by the sea, a little relaxation and maybe some hiking and diving as well. We would like to experience more than just the areas dedicated to tourists and see the real Sri Lanka. Happy to travel around but this may prove challenging in the short amount of time we have.
      Any advice would be much appreciated! Cheers

more

Popular North Eastern Province Travel Answer Locations

• Accomodation

Trincomalee Jun 12, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Hi all. I am really struggling to find good accomodation in and around the Trinco/Nilaveli area for August. Ideally, we'd like a beach front location, quite secluded and happy to go basic as long as it's clean and has mosquito nets! Our budget is £60pn - does anyone know of anywhere they'd recommend?

2 Answers Jul 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    • rberelia's Profile Photo

Night Bus service from Kandy or Kurunagela to Trincomalee

Trincomalee Nov 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM

is there any Night Bus - Luxury or AC - service from Kandy or Kurunagela to Trincomalee. Frequency and time table of the service please
      Regards

3 Answers Nov 24, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Budget Hotel

Jaffna Oct 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM

looking for budget hotel at Jaffna, Trincomalee and colombo

6 Answers Nov 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Visiting Nainativu

Jaffna Oct 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

how to reach from India? any ferry service from Rameswaram ( India ) or from any other place ? Can anybody guide me

3 Answers Oct 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    • Photographs

Trincomalee Aug 17, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I am looking for someone to take a digital picture of a gravestone in the Trinco Protestant Cemetery. Also to find out if church birth/marriage/death records still exist for the area. Do you know of anyone?

1 Answer Aug 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    • Family Guest Houses in Trincomale and Kilinochchiya area

Trincomalee Jun 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Hey Guys,

We are planning to visit Tricomalee, Kilinochchiya and Jaffana in late December 2010 to Early Januaray 2011.

We would be grateful if any of you could provide information on family guest houses.

Thank you kindly

Sandya and the family

2 Answers Aug 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    • Nainativu and Accommodation in Jaffna

Jaffna May 28, 2010 at 1:58 AM

How hard is it to go to Nainativu from Jaffna? I heard there is a ferry, and there is heaps of people waiting all the time.. How does it all work? Do you book the ferry and wait for your turn?
      Also how hard is it to find accommodation?

4 Answers May 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    • How long will it take to get to Jaffna

Trincomalee May 28, 2010 at 1:55 AM

How far and how long will it take for us to drive by car from Trincomalee to Jaffna?
      And what is there to see in Trincomalee other than the beaches, and Pigeon Island?

4 Answers May 29, 2010 at 1:13 AM
    • the climete n the specialities in that area

Pottuvil Apr 11, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Wht is da normal waether range n wht are the specialities of this area when compared with other areas in that country???????

1 Answer Apr 11, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    • Advice Needed!! Trincomalee, Batticoloa, Ampara

Trincomalee Feb 17, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Hey guys,
      My friends and I are trying to plan a trip through the east. We are starting in Kandy and then going up to Trincomalee, then Batticoloa and lastly Ampara and back to Kandy.

I've been trying to figure out how to get from Kandy to Trinco and I've never been more confused. Does anyone know if there are direct buses from Kandy to Trinco or any train service? If not, what are best routes from Kandy to Trinco using public transportation?

I've also been trying to find some budget accommodations in Trinco and it's been pretty much impossible. Does anyone know of places that are around Rs.1000-1500 per night for a double room?

Also, what is the best way to get to Batticoloa from Trinco? Also, is it possible to get from Batti or Ampara back to Kandy or would I have to go back to Trinco to find public transportation back to Kandy?

Sorry for all the questions! Any other advice/tips you have regarding the east coast would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

3 Answers Mar 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    • looking Holiday house

Trincomalee Dec 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM

We are looking Holiday house for two days.
      Suppose to come with our family members on 27Dec - 28Dec.
      Please let me know.

• supune's Profile Photo

travel by road to Jaffna from the south

Jaffna Jul 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Is it possible to get to Jaffna by road? How is the security going that way?

4 Answers Jul 21, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    • to know about batticaloa

Batticaloa Apr 4, 2008 at 10:00 PM

what are the best things in batticaloa?

6 Answers Apr 13, 2008 at 2:22 AM
    • is passikudah beach is a greatest in the world?

Batticaloa Aug 19, 2004 at 6:47 AM

where is batticaloa and r there any beaches named passikudah? im at srilanka. i want 2 visit there! but i dont know thew actual place!!1 some body srilankans plz tell abt me! bye,ramana.

3 Answers Dec 15, 2004 at 8:00 AM
    • Nilaveli to Arugam Bay

Trincomalee Jul 20, 2004 at 10:16 PM

Does anyone know the best route to take to travel from Nilaveli to Arugam Bay, and approximately how many hours? Thanks

2 Answers Aug 1, 2004 at 1:09 PM
    • Safety

Trincomalee Jul 15, 2004 at 5:58 AM

I am due to visit Trincomalee at the start of august. I am concerned about safety due to the worsening security/political situation. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice

2 Answers Jul 16, 2004 at 8:07 PM
    • hang's Profile Photo

Travel to Jaffna

Jaffna Jun 1, 2004 at 1:17 PM

How is save travel to Jafna? any hostel recomendations in Jafna? What it is worth to see arround the Jaffna

6 Answers Jul 28, 2004 at 6:04 AM
    • Wadduwa and Kalamata

Trincomalee Jun 1, 2004 at 7:47 AM

I am considering going to either the above in September and wanted to hear from anyone about the local area. For instance, outside the all inclusive hotels is there much going on - restaurants/bars/shops etc.

1 Answer Jun 1, 2004 at 2:36 PM
    • The Sea Angler's Club Trincomalee

Trincomalee May 8, 2004 at 9:26 AM

Does anyone know whether the Sea Angler's Club in China Bay is open? Is it possible to make reservations? Does it still have motor boats for rod and line fishing? I am hoping to be in Trinco in August with a family of four - and the Sea Angler's Club is where we would like to stay if possible.

5 Answers Mar 10, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    • Cheap Accommodation in Trincomalee

Trincomalee Apr 6, 2004 at 12:11 PM

Will be travelling to Sri Lanka in end May-mid June and would like to visit NE Region on low budget. Perhaps stay in local accommodation or nice cheap guesthouse? Any ideas and thanks for this July

3 Answers Apr 23, 2004 at 9:34 AM
    • Hotels in Trincomalee/ Nilaveli

Trincomalee Feb 24, 2004 at 7:14 AM

I am going to Sri Lanka in July for my honeymoon and wanted to stay in Trincomalee/ Nilaveli for a few days. I wondered if anyone had any hotel recommendations - The Nilaveli Beach hotel doesn't look that great, and I have read mixed reviews, although I understand it is on the most beautiful beach. I was thinking about the French Garden Guesthouse (maybe a bit basic????) or the Club Oceanic. Has anyone stayed in any of these? Any advice much apprecitated!! Emma

5 Answers Mar 24, 2005 at 7:47 PM
    • hiring a car from trinco to the airport

Trincomalee Oct 14, 2003 at 10:12 AM

a group of us are planning to visit Trinco in December. One person will need to get back to the airport the next day. Is it possible to rent a car and driver from the Nilaveli Beach Hotel for the return trip for one person? Is it safe? Thanks!

3 Answers Nov 21, 2003 at 10:21 AM
    • Mick_B's Profile Photo

Wadduwa

Trincomalee Jun 23, 2003 at 12:12 PM

We are going to wadduwa in September, I have read all the forum messages and this place is never mentioned, is it ok here or have we made a mistake. Are the beaches ok or is it better in the south. Thanks Mick

3 Answers Jun 29, 2003 at 6:35 AM
    • Crowther's Profile Photo

Diving

Trincomalee Jun 6, 2003 at 8:21 AM

What diving is available on the east coast, Trincolmallee to Batticola

1 Answer Jun 9, 2003 at 1:53 PM
    • Recommend a hotel in Trinco for family 5?

Trincomalee Jun 6, 2003 at 7:09 AM

Could anyone recommend a good hotel in Trinco for a family of five, 2 adults and 3 children near town? We will be in Trinco in early August.

3 Answers Jul 29, 2003 at 3:23 AM