North Carolina Travel Answers

change location
gardnnut's Profile Photo

Retire

by gardnnut Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

What are the best small towns in eastern NC to retire to?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • azweigar's Profile Photo

Re: Retire

by azweigar Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Morehead City and New Bern would rank pretty high on my list!!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM

At one time I was seriously considering retiring in North Carolina (NC) and I narrowed it down to two towns. One was on the eastern coast of NC by the name of Southport. It is a small and still active fishing town not too far from Wilmington. There are lots of sandy beaches, lighthouses and old Victorians. Costs there were moderate compared to Northern California where I live. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Incidentally the other town was Boone which is the high foothills of Western NC. I fell in love with the simplicity of the town and fact that there was an active college and beautiful scenery all around.

1 member found this helpful

• DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

There's a magazine called "Where to Retire" - you might see if you can find back issues or online issues. I'm sure they've covered NC at some point. My mom has read this several times and they usually feature several places in each issue all over the country. Good luck:-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Even though not in eastern NC, I was going to suggest Boone as well. I lived there for several years and it's such a great place. The only downside might be the winter - if you don't like snow. A more mild climate and another great place to consider is Asheville, although not in eastern NC either. :-)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Pinehurst or Hillsborough. Type them into the VT Search Window and check them out. We lived in Chapel Hill for 10+ years and loved it there but it's a little more expensive than the rest of NC . . . and not very southern either.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular North Carolina Travel Answer Locations