change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• funciassa's Profile Photo

from Kiruna to Abisko

Abisko Nationalpark Aug 1, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Hello, after many changes of plan, I decided that I arrive in Kiruna mid-October and would like to take a rental car to go to Abisko, which is my goal, hoping to see the northern lights .. can anyone tell me that I find climate and what kind of roads are there? Thank you

more
    • Travel from Abisko to Nikkaluokta

Abisko Nationalpark Jul 25, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Hi, first time posting, so hope someone can help...

We are getting a hire car from Stockholm airport and driving up to Nikkaluokta and trekking from there to Abisko along that stretch of the Kungsleden. As we are planning to leave the hire car in Nikkaluokta during our trek, we need a way of getting back to Nikkaluokta from Abisko after the trek.

So my question is this, does anyone know if there is a way of getting directly to Abisko from Nikkaluokta?

I've heard about a bus that runs once a day between the two, but haven't been able to find any info about it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

more

from Kiruna to Abisko

Kiruna Aug 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Hello, after many changes of plan, I decided that I arrive in Kiruna mid-October and would like to take a rental car to go to Abisko, which is my goal, hoping to see the northern lights .. can anyone tell me that I find climate and what kind of roads are there? Thank you.

more

from Kiruna to Abisko

Abisko Nationalpark Aug 1, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Hello, after many changes of plan, I decided that I arrive in Kiruna mid-October and would like to take a rental car to go to Abisko, which is my goal, hoping to see the northern lights .. can anyone tell me that I find climate and what kind of roads are there? Thank you

1 Answer Aug 1, 2014 at 7:41 AM

from Kiruna to Abisko

Kiruna Aug 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Hello, after many changes of plan, I decided that I arrive in Kiruna mid-October and would like to take a rental car to go to Abisko, which is my goal, hoping to see the northern lights .. can anyone tell me that I find climate and what kind of roads are there? Thank you.

4 Answers Aug 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    • Travel from Abisko to Nikkaluokta

Abisko Nationalpark Jul 25, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Hi, first time posting, so hope someone can help...

We are getting a hire car from Stockholm airport and driving up to Nikkaluokta and trekking from there to Abisko along that stretch of the Kungsleden. As we are planning to leave the hire car in Nikkaluokta during our trek, we need a way of getting back to Nikkaluokta from Abisko after the trek.

So my question is this, does anyone know if there is a way of getting directly to Abisko from Nikkaluokta?

I've heard about a bus that runs once a day between the two, but haven't been able to find any info about it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

1 Answer Jul 25, 2014 at 3:24 AM
    • transport to Björkliden

Kiruna Jun 20, 2014 at 6:50 AM

when we arrive at Kiruna airport in the afternoon, the last bus and train will have left for Björkliden. Are there other possibilites for travel than the very expensive taxi (1995 SSK)?

from airport in Kiruna

Kiruna Jun 2, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Hi, I do not know where to look,
      My friend and I would like to come to Kiruna 21 to 24 October 2014 landed at Kiruna airport and we should get to the city, or better still, the area of PUOLTSA.
      we do not want to take a rental car, how can we get up to the and then go back?
      is there any taxi that you can already book via the internet? thank you very much, Martina

1 Answer Jun 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    • laundry services?

Luleå May 27, 2014 at 4:36 AM

Hi, I will be arriving in Lulea with my family for a couple of days this July. We will be coming straight from wild camping and I expect that we will have lots of very smokey clothes that need washing. Can you recommend a launderette where we can get a load of washing done, please? Preferably full service, but we can do our own if needed.

Thanks

4 Answers May 28, 2014 at 12:33 AM
    • Can i rent a car at the lulea train station?

Luleå May 20, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Can i rent a car at the lulea train station?

4 Answers May 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    • Bringing a wood burning stove?

Abisko Nationalpark May 13, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Hey guys.

I'm planning a trip to Kungsleden. My plan is to walk the whole trail during june. Normally when I hike, I bring a lightweight wood burning stove and collect fuel before I reach camp.
      I've been reading about the area, and there is often mention of birch forrest and vegetation in the valleys. Now I'm wondering if it will be possible to use my wood burning stove on this trail, or I should rely solely on my backup gas stove? Will I get close to forrest or other kinds of fuel every day or every other day? I'm planning on averaging 20 km a day.

Thanks
      /Morten

9 Answers May 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    • Kungsleden trail between May 18th to May 24th, 2014

Abisko Nationalpark Apr 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM

My wife and I are experienced backpacker. We are planning a week long backpacking trip to hike Kungsleden trail between the north section of Abisko and Nikkaluokta. The time should be around May 18, 2014 to May 24. We will carry all the camping gears.

I know the transportation could be a problem during that time. I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the following questions.

1. I heard there won’t be bus between Kiruna and Nikkaluokta at that time. If our hike finishes at Nikkaluokta, is there a way we can get back to Kiruna Airport?

2. Is there any bus between Kiruna and Abisko during that time? Schedule?

3. Is there any taxi between Kiruna and Nikkaluokta? How about the cost?

4. Do you think if it makes sense to ride a taxi from Kiruna to Nikkaluokta, then hike north to Abisko, then ride a bus (see question #2) to Kiruna airport?

5. If we want to hike Kebnekaise, what will be the condition during that time.

6. If we want to hike Kebnekaise, I assume I have to bring microspike as the hut will be closed at that time and I won't be able to rent crampon? Are snowshoes necessary?

Thank you very much and I appreciate your help.

2 Answers Apr 24, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    • Are there day trails in Abisko National Park

Abisko Nationalpark Apr 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I am going to Sweden in July this year and unfortunately don't have time to walk the whole Kungsleden walk. It sounds an amazing area though so would like to go there for at least 2 or 3 days. Are there any day walks in the park that give a good idea of the character/flora/fauna that make a long train trip from Stockholm worthwhile?

1 Answer Apr 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    • Hiking from Kvikkjokk to Ritsem

Kvikkjokk Feb 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

We are planning this hike on the Padjelantaleden trail for late July or early in September. What kind of weather can we expect? Thanks you.

1 Answer Feb 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM
    • Snowscooters

Luleå Jan 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Is it possible to rent a helmed when we are going with the snowscooter

2 Answers Feb 9, 2014 at 1:31 AM
    • Going from Katterjåkk to Abisko

Abisko Nationalpark Jan 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Hi I'm planning to visit Abisko on the 15th of February from Kattterjåkk. Is it possible to walk or should I take a taxi? How much would that be approximately? The train only goes once in the afternoon and I'd love the see the northern lights in abisko so that's not really an option.

6 Answers Feb 3, 2014 at 3:08 AM
    • Northern lights in Abisko National Park

Abisko Nationalpark Jan 13, 2014 at 3:31 AM

How to go to Abisko National Park from Kirona by train?
      Do you think travel by a lady alone safe or not in February?
      Is there any tours run in the Abisko National
      Park?

3 Answers Jan 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    • bus in feb

Kiruna Dec 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

hi...is there any bus that goes from kiruna airport to abisko in feb 9th and back on 11th feb?thank you. :)

6 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    • littlebush's Profile Photo

Northern Lights, possible to just drive and see them?

Kiruna Dec 15, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Hi, my wife and i will visit the Kiruna region in March 2014 and will hire a car to get around

Therefore rather than spend money on a northern lights tour, is it possible to just drive and find a place to view the lights (obviously away from city lights)?

Can anyone recommend a good location for this?
      Thanks

dave

9 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    • Things to do in Kiruna

Kiruna Nov 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hi
      I want to visit Northern Sweden to see the Northern Lights in late Feb/early Mar 2014. I had intended spending 10 days to try to ensure that I had a good chance of seeing at least one good display. Is spending 10 days to much?
      I need to find something to do during the days. I have been looking at the prices of tours in Kiruna and they appear to be very expensive. I maybe able to take one tour. Are there other activities that can be done alone and safely e.g. hiking, shoe-shoeing? Is it possible to jump on some form of public transport and go somewhere just for the ride and scenery?
      Are there tour companies that I should steer clear of?
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.

Thanks

2 Answers Nov 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    • Abisko train

Abisko Nationalpark Nov 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Hello i am in Berlin Germany.
      and i already order the hotel in STF.Abisko Which from 22 Dec 2013 till 24 Dec.2013 Two persons,,,,But the problem is there is no any train from Stockholm to there durning 21th Dec...Whole of the ticket is sold out, also the airplane time is not suitable.....So what could i do? cancel the hotel booking?......That's too bad.
      is there any share cars website in Sweden? or i could take the bus ??
      Thanks very much

2 Answers Nov 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    • No Question Title

Abisko Nationalpark Oct 31, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Do u think it worth visiting abisko np for the day in jan staying 6 nights in kiruna and is there public transport

2 Answers Oct 31, 2013 at 4:49 AM
    • TITIskiSweden's Profile Photo

Renting equipement

Abisko Oct 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Hello

I will be in the Swedish Lapland, in Abisko, in January and I will need ski and / or snowshoes.

Where could I rent that???
      And are there price reductions for STF members???

thanks for the reply!

Tibo

2 Answers Nov 15, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    • TITIskiSweden's Profile Photo

Renting equipement

Abisko Nationalpark Oct 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Hello

I will be in the Swedish Lapland, in Abisko, in January and I will need ski and / or snowshoes.

Where could I rent that???
      And are there price reductions for STF members???

thanks for the reply!

Tibo

1 Answer Oct 22, 2013 at 4:47 AM
    • MFAMILY's Profile Photo

Chasing the northern lights on our own

Kiruna Oct 2, 2013 at 1:22 AM

My family and I will be in Kiruna, hotel Scandic, from Dec 30th until Jan 3rd. We have already planned a night out on dogsled on the 30th and New Year's Eve dinner in Camp Ripan. Fot the remainder 2 nights we plan on going further to Abisko and/or around Kiruna and try to chase the lights on our own. I have some questions, though.
      1. is the road to Abisko safe for inexperienced snow driving people?Are there gritters clearing the road frequently? Driving is what scares me the most. Had a scary experience once nearTromso, so I figure roads may be similar here (narrow...)
      2. are there any favorite dark enough spots to park a car safely and put the tripod and camera? Can anyone point out a few? We considered taking a guided northern lights tour to shoot some pictures, but I find them a bit overpriced for something that we probably will be able to do on our own, with good guidance from people here at VT.
      3. Can we ride the chairlift at Abisko without joining a visit to the Sky Station, which is already fully booked for our dates? Do we have to buy chairlift tickets in advance or just show up and buy them on the spot?
      4. We shall expect dark the whole 24 hours of a day, on the given dates, correct?
      Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Maria

10 Answers Dec 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    • apartment rental

Kiruna Sep 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I would like to rent apartment which can allow 5 adults(include 1 female and 4 male) to stay for at least 20 days since Oct. 1st, 2013, so 3 sleeprooms with 5 beds are required, where can I find one as described above. Thank you.

• 3 days Trip to Kiruna in October

Kiruna Sep 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Hi,

We have planned to come to kiruna in October. Can you please suggest us what trips we can take in month october in kiruna ? If possible, kindly provide us the links of what we can take ?

2 Answers Sep 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    • Alokjuneja's Profile Photo

Place in abisko with highest chance of seeing northern light

Abisko Nationalpark Jul 27, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I will be visiting abisko from 3-6 oct'13. Thinking of staying in hostel through abisko.net instead of tourist lodge.
      Is there equal chance of seeing northern light from village abisko and tourist station. Should we take a local guide ? And other suggestions , I really want to see northern lights :)!

5 Answers Aug 4, 2013 at 4:12 AM
    • the___gecko's Profile Photo

forums

Sarek National Park Jul 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Hi.

i am heading to the sarek national park in mid to late august to trek through the park. i was going with 2 friends who now look like there going to pull out. im coming from australia and dont want to miss this opportunity but at the same time due to the potential treacherous weather conditions of the arctic circle am a bit concerned to do this solo.

therefore im looking for a website or forum where you can possibly find other hikers to do the trek with as being a experienced hiker dont wish to go on a guided tour.

cheers

2 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    • PRIVATE COACH SERVICE FOR A GROUP OF 20 HEADS

Abisko Nationalpark Jul 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Hi...Need a caring advice please. We're a group of 20 heads from India have planned to be in Kiruna in early nov'13 as we are told that the maximum possibility of viewing Northern Lights in 2013. We may stay for a couple of day in Kiruna and want badly to visit Abisko for a full day trip...particularly from afternoon and would come back to Kiruna late night. Need a help to design a trip with a Coach to Abisko to explore and come back. Need advice in all respective areas, please.
      Regards,
      Pinaki Mitra
      E: pinakimitra.pinku@gmail.com

5 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    • Kiruna railway station to kiruna airport

Kiruna Jul 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I am arriving from narvik tomorrow at kiruna rly stn by 1330 h
      Any buses to kiruna airport
      My flight to stockholm is at 1600 hrs

1 Answer Jul 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    • the___gecko's Profile Photo

sleeping bag

Sarek National Park May 13, 2013 at 3:31 AM

hi. just wondering if a -5 sleeping bag is enough for the sarek in early september. im thinking a -10 to be sure but some views would be appreciated.

cheers

2 Answers May 20, 2013 at 3:08 AM
    • bus or taxi connections

Abisko Nationalpark May 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Hi,

We would like to hike the kings trail. THe only problem is that we are short in time an we have only 5 or 6 days, wich will not allow us to go from abisko to nikkaluokta, then take bus from nikkaluokta to kiruna, and another bus back to abisko (where our car might be standing).
      Has anyone an idea what the best possibility is to get back in Abisko in a 5 or 6 days time span?
      Walking in a circle or taking a bus/taxi somewhere (and where?:))?

Thank you really much!
      Maarten

2 Answers May 3, 2013 at 3:58 AM