Normandy Travel Answers

change location

Renting a car

by shill46 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to make our Normandy transportation smooth without too much luggage lugging! We are arriving by ferry at Cherbourg in the early afternoon and want to rent a car there that we will use for 4 days in Normandy. We're staying at a b&b near Bayeux, but will explore the countryside during the days, eventually going to Paris by train. Our b&b host says we can return our rental car to and take the train from Bayeux, but I can't easily figure out if it's possible to rent the car in Cherbourg and return it to Bayeux, and the only place I see to return a car in Bayeux is the Total gas station (problemmatic return?), which I doubt is near the train station. I'm guessing it's easier to drive to Caen and return the car and take the train there. Does anyone have information about these things?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Renting a car

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Kemwel will let you pick up in Cherbourg at the Ferry welcome and drop off in Caen. You could take the train from Caen to Paris. They didn't have a Bayeux drop off but Caen is very near. http://www.kemwel.com/

Auto Europe let you pick up in Cherbourg or Bayeux but didn't give options for separate pickup and dropoff. You'd have to check with them. http://www.autoeurope.com/

Sixt offered so little information that I'm not even going to include their web site. You can also check major brands like Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, National, etc. We always check as many as we can stand just to get the best rate. The Auto Europe might be the best option though.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 3:04 AM

oh yes renting a car is king and Normandy is glorious for it. You have the two international broker car rentals I always use from abroad for many years in autoeurope and kemwel,given above by Beausoleil. Bayeux is wonderful to be base at and will allow great flexibility to see the countryside. You can't have return in  Bayeux  that is why you need to go to a lease agency total gas station; you do have return in Caen but you will have drop off charges (whether in Bayeux or Caen) so the rental will be more expensive.

I suggest renting in Bayeux for your countryside trips, and returning the car to Bayeux then take the train to go to Paris from there. You can rent and drop off at the Bayeux train station.

hope it helps

1 member found this helpful

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 3:08 AM

ahhh yes coming to Cherbourg you can rent the car there and drop off there (taking train to paris) or take the train to Bayeux and rent return there(go to paris from here)

hope is not more confusing ::)

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Please note you are asking a Normandie, France question in the Normandy, England forum. Fortunately, most of us knew where you were really going. ;-) When we rented a car in Caen through a large auto rental (Hertz or Avis - sorry, I don't remember), it was fairly expensive. The rental pick up was close to the castle, which was easily accessed by the tram that runs from the train station to the car rental agency. Please note that while the distances don't look like much, it takes a long time to cruise through Normandie, especially if you take the coast road. So plan for additional time. enjoy, Karl

1 member found this helpful

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

good catch Roadquill, just notice it myself lol!! well its all related cousins ::)

• Re: Renting a car

by shill46 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Oops, can you tell I'm new to Virtual Tourist? Thank you for the tips.

by shill46 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Yes, I think Bayeux will be a good location from which to take day trips. I've already reserved the train from Caen to Paris, so I've closed off the car rental in Bayeux option. I think I'm just going to have to pay the extra for different location drop-off. Thanks for answering!

by shill46 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM

This is for beausoleil--I don't seem to be responding in the correct places, but I very much appreciate your prompt, informative, and thorough answer to my question.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

You are welcome. Hope we helped. Don't feel bad about posting on the wrong forum. You'll notice most of us didn't catch it either. ;^)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 3:26 AM

good deal, paying extra wont be notice once you see the beautiful area. all worth it. Enjoy it

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines