Norman Travel Answers

change location

studying at the university of oklahoma in norman?

by marichou85 Online Now Sep 7, 2006 at 6:31 AM

hey everyone

im a french student ....going into my 3rd year of law ...there are possibilities to study abroad in the US next year and there are 2 partnerships with my university ...so one is the university of virginia in charlottesville in Virginia and the other one is the university of oklahoma in norman in OK

So so far i've only been to NYC and Denver in colorado and i dont know anything about oklahoma (sorry ) so i was wondering how is life over there?and especially norman?is it big?is it nice?
i have to fill out everything this fall but i would like first to have some informations about these places to see if i could fit in ....

so any informations would be much appreciated !!

thank u in advance

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

RE: studying at the university of oklahoma in norman?

by TexasDave Online Now Sep 7, 2006 at 6:47 AM

I've stayed in Norman for a week and this is what I observed: it seemed to me to be a small town attached to a BIG University. Therre is not much there that is not connected to the university. The town is a little isolated from everything else- it's about 30 mins by car to Oklahoma City, which in itself is medium sized city by U.S. standards. The state of OK values its native American (Indian)roots and there is also a Cowboy Hall of Fame that is very interesting. The topography is generally flat, with some gently rolling hills. Hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

RE: RE: studying at the university of oklahoma in norman?

by Roadquill Online Now Sep 7, 2006 at 1:10 PM

In Virginia you are relatively closely connected to many areas of interest on the East Coast. In Nebraska (unless you are a college football fanatic) you will be bored to tears after a few weeks. You don't say the dates, but the winters can be rough.

• RE: RE: studying at the university of oklahoma in norman?

by marichou85 Online Now Sep 7, 2006 at 2:50 PM

thank u well im from bordeaux it's in the south west of france near the atlantic coast a nice place to live in ....weather is nice in the winter we never get snow ....so yes im not used to snow (unless i go skiing in the mountains) ....
    well as said previously i dont know anything about virginia and oklahoma .....and i would like to study abroad especially in the US to get a new experience because i love your country but i would be very disappointed to end up in a smaller town than the one i actually live in ...maybe it's silly but us european when it comes to experience life oversea we think about some urban big cities ....all modern .....so to see i would have to spend 1 year (university's year) in a cow boy village would be quite a big shock to me (no offence intended) but i prefer to know about what to expect before to apply to study .....

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Sep 7, 2006 at 4:29 PM

I don't know how I got Nebraska from Oklahoma. Sorry. Norman and nearby Oklahoma City has a bit more going for it than Nebraska (just my humble opinion and I don't mean to disparage any cornhusker), and the weather is moderate in the winter. However, it is dry and you would see everything in about a week. Still very much a college footbal town. This means that life revolves around the Oklahoma Sooners home games. On a scale of 10, I would rate going to Oklahoma only a 2, and Virginia an 8. I would take Virginia any time. You still get a smaller town feel with Charlottesville, but are within a few hours to any number of major cities. Karl

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Sep 9, 2006 at 10:02 AM

I'd recommend the University of Virginia. Although Charlottesville is kind of in the middle of nowhere, it's only about 2 hours from Washington, D.C., and there's so much to see and do there: museums, art, historic sites. And if you like nature, Charlottesville is also not far from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Sep 9, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Also, Washington, D.C., would be an interesting place for a student of law to visit. :)

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Sep 9, 2006 at 10:32 AM

I am sure that your professional development is the most important factor. Assuming the universities serve your needs equally, Charlottesville will offer a far more sophisticated environment both locally and accessible with 2-3 hours travel time.

• BixB's Profile Photo

by BixB Online Now Sep 20, 2006 at 11:51 PM

Mademoiselle,

I am a lawyer living in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I have been to Norman, OK, numerous times and have also been to Charlottesville, VA, three times to attend classes at the Army Judge Advocate General's school on the University of Virgina (UVa)campus. I love Oklahoma and it has much more to see and do than most people know. You would find the people of Oklahoma to be some of the friendliest in the United States, and the fact that you are French would no doubt make you a popular novelty!

That said, I think you would ultimately enjoy UVa more. Virginia is a more aesthetically pleasing part of the U.S., especially with the Blue Ridge Mountains near Charlottesville. Charlottesville is not much larger of a town than Norman, but Charlottesville is more cosmopolitan.

AS you probably know, UVa itself is very historic, having been founded and the architecture planned by Thomas Jefferson. His home, Monticello, is nearby. UVa is also arguably the finest public university in the U.S.

As others have said, the proximity to Washington, D.C. as well as historic sites throughout Virginia is a big factor in its favor. There is Amtrak passenger train service to Charlottesville, which would provide you with easy access not only to D.C. but all along the Atlantic seaboard - Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Boston and many others would all be easy to reach via train.

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be a great adventure.

Je tu envoie mes bien amicales pensées.
    -BixB

• hundwalder's Profile Photo

by hundwalder Online Now Sep 27, 2006 at 6:04 PM

Norman is a suberb of Oklahoma City. Oklahoma's main industries are petroleum, ranching, and heavy manufacturing. We have a some cultural activities but they are limited. I am a pretty good fiddler ( violinist ). We okies would be proud to have you here.

• hundwalder's Profile Photo

by hundwalder Online Now Sep 27, 2006 at 6:07 PM

By the way, Oklahoma has nearly the lowest cost of living in the United States.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Sep 27, 2006 at 6:32 PM

Prague, Oklahoma - is your town 9-hole golf course still9 a round?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines