Nizwa Travel Answers

change location

Oman...Dress Code????

by melaniejean Online Now Aug 17, 2004 at 12:31 AM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me. Do woman in Oman have to wear a veil, even if they are western and can western woman drink alcohol. I know that the UAE is a lot more relaxed with these issues! I hope someone can help me. Melanie Jean.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • rosymole's Profile Photo

Re: Oman...Dress Code????

by rosymole Online Now Aug 17, 2004 at 1:35 AM

Hello! This is one of those it depend answers! Be warned I've not been to Oman for about 7 years - however it is much more relaxed than Saudi - but it would be wise to repect tradition and religion when out and about, laos wearing some kind of head gear will help to keep you cool.- alcohol I would assume is illegal - the country is predominantly Muslim, but again this would depend where you are as to it's availability- if you want to have a drink link up with some ex-pats who really know how to party! While you're out there keep an eye out for the 'modern art' wedged into the roundabouts - very surresl, you'll know what i mean when you see them! If you have achance go on a boat trip - the snorkelling is incredible! Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Oman...Dress Code????

by CliffClaven Online Now Aug 17, 2004 at 1:53 AM

While some Omani women may prefer to be veiled when outside the home, the practice is not so common as in some other Muslim countries. Many local women working in Omani government offices do not wear a veil, although they may cover their hair. Expatriate workers, mainly from the Indian subcontinent and the Philippines, do not wear veils or cover their hair. In many stores the Filipina workers wear knee-length skirts.

• TAGB's Profile Photo

by TAGB Online Now Aug 17, 2004 at 2:09 AM

Hi Check this Site bugbog.com/exotic_places/oma... Have Good info about Oman and good answer about your question (i took it for the site) Clothing: This is a conservative Muslim country so sensitive Oman travellers should avoid shorts, short skirts, tight clothes and tank tops except on a beach. Hair cover is not neccessary for women.

• Ali&Steve's Profile Photo

Re: Oman...Dress Code????

by Ali&Steve Online Now Aug 18, 2004 at 1:59 AM

We are regular visitors to Oman and I promise , you don't need to wear a veil, and there's no problem with you drinking alcohol in any licensed premises (hotels). Providing you show respect and dress modestly (no vest tops, bare midriffs or mini skirts), you won't have any problems. Omanis are wonderfully friendly and welcoming - you'll have a great time!

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo

by TomorrowsAngel Online Now Aug 23, 2004 at 9:26 PM

Hey Melanie, Me and a mate visited Oman last June - see my pages for some pics and tips if you like. You can buy alcohol duty free and also at hotels, but no bottle shops on the street or bevvies in the supermarket. Out in the small villages, a lot of women were covered, but not so many in Muscat and Salalah. Westerners definitely do not have to cover (BTW we don't even have to do this in Saudi). It is fine to have bare lower legs and arms, just keep your shoulders covered out in the small villages. We had no problems with staring, comments etc (like sometimes happens in Saudi). We took shared taxis and hitched rides off the street - even at night. Definitely felt very safe there. Bec :-)

• Re: Re: Oman...Dress Code????

by melaniejean Online Now Sep 16, 2004 at 9:05 AM

Hi, Thanks for the info! I am a bit stressed as I have never been to the middle East. I will be there for one year. I hope everything goes OK!

by melaniejean Online Now Sep 16, 2004 at 9:13 AM

Hi Guys, Thanks for your response. I haven't gotten back to you because I have been so busy with work and the dreaded study. I have one question to ask you both!!! I have a daughter that will be visting me in November. She will have finished her Senior Certificate. She is seventeen. She will go on to university, but will be staying with me for about 3 months in Oman, where I will be working. What sort of visa will I have to obtain for her??? I start work soon in Oman!! I want to make her 'graduation holiday as pleasant as possible and I was wondering if I can get her a visa off of mine because she is my dependant?? I hope you can advise me or steer me in the right direction. Thanks, Melanie Jean

by Ali&Steve Online Now Sep 17, 2004 at 6:49 AM

For the usual Western bloc countries there will be two choices dependent upon exactly how long your daughter will stay: 1. She can get a tourist visa at the airport on arrival valid for one month. It can then be extended for a further month at the immigration department for a modest fee. 2. As you will be a resident, it should be possible to apply for a "family visit visa" (usually) via your employer. This will be valid for 3 months.

by melaniejean Online Now Sep 17, 2004 at 7:42 AM

Thanks Ali & Steve, I am currently in South Korea and my daughter stayed with me for my first year here and then back to school. All I had to do was present my visa, her birth certificate and cash at the immigration office and she was issued with a F2 Visa for 1 year and we had 3 months to do that upon arrival. It seems that Oman is alot more strict. She will be traveling on an Australian passport. I am going to the Oman Consulate here in Seoul next week before I leave for a further run down. Thank you both for your wonderful help! I was also reading on the internet that Australians don't need a vise for the UAE. It seems they have some sort of trade agreement going. Do you know anything about this?? Thank you to you both again.

by Ali&Steve Online Now Sep 17, 2004 at 10:53 PM

Ok - things are getting a little clearer now. My advice was based on your daughter visiting after you had been established in Oman. Why not get your daughter into the visa process being undertaken for yourself - assuming you will have a formal work permit (known as an NOC - No Objection Certificate)? That way, she will get residency as well. I note that you have posted this question in the main Oman forum and are getting replies there. Your contact with the Oman embassy in Korea should provide you with the necessary guidance on how to go about getting residency for your daughter. I also noted that you were toying with undertaking "visa runs" to Dubai in order to get repeat Omani visas. Please note that this process can only be undertaken by flying from airports. Australians will get an automatic visit visa at Dubai airport. Can't tell you how long it will be valid for (Brits get 60 days). Good luck in your dealings and have patience.

by melaniejean Online Now Sep 18, 2004 at 2:37 AM

Thanks, And patience....sometimes!! Yes, I will already be in Oman working when she visits and will have my work permit. I leave next Monday for Oman and she will arrive in late November. I am going to the Embassy in Seoul this week. Thanks for all of your help!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines