Ningbo Travel Answers

change location

teaching in Ningbo

by jage Online Now Aug 27, 2003 at 10:54 AM

I'm teaching for 10 months in Ningbo and want to know the cost of living there. My apartment/dorm is paid for, but I need to pay utilities,l water, electric, internet phone. Any estimates? Also, where is the best place to shop for food, and for supplies such as paper, etc. What winter clothing do I need? snowboots?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • yuming's Profile Photo

Re: teaching in Ningbo

by yuming Online Now Aug 28, 2003 at 4:14 AM

electic : 0.60yuan/kw? water: 1.2yuan/ ton internet: dial: install fee 100yuan, and 20yuan/ month DSL : instal 308yuan, 90yuan/month 500yuan/ 6month, 900yuan/12month others, I think lots of people would like to help you. don"t worry alot...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • andrewr14's Profile Photo

by andrewr14 Online Now Sep 1, 2003 at 9:48 PM

As an American living in Shanghai, I had my first chance to visit Ningbo last weekend, and I think it's safe to say that, unless you are coming from another developing country you will find the cost of things in Ningbo to be pretty inexpensive! I believe I saw a Carrefour (a large French supermarket chain) on one of the main roads between the bus station and the downtown area. There are plenty of other smaller stores that will be able to sell you pretty much anything you are looking for! Don't miss Tsing Yi Square in downtown Ningbo in the evenings if you are looking for a fun place to go and hang out, and the temples/villages in the hills surrounding Ningbo (anywhere from 30-60 minutes from town) are very beautiful and would make for a good escape from the city every once and a while.. As for weather, I wouldn't worry too much about snow.. Ningbo is several hundred miles south of Shanghai, and in Shanghai last winter I think we saw a dusting of snow ONCE, but not nearly enough to panic or require extra clothing/footwear.. Good luck, hope you enjoy your 10 months in Ningbo!!

• asdf19's Profile Photo

by asdf19 Online Now Sep 2, 2003 at 1:08 AM

I was born in Ningbo, and I would say "welcome to Ningbo" to you. For the questions u asked, I think the most have been answered by other frineds, except the clothes/boots for winter, I think it is quite cold though the temperature won't below -3, u still need a pair of warm/water-proof shoes. Be prepare for a wet, rainy winter here. Good luck!

• Tina_z's Profile Photo

by Tina_z Online Now Sep 24, 2003 at 12:29 AM

Ningbo is my hometown and i am glad it has changed a lot these years. Don't worry about shopping, there are many supermarkets in the downtown such as XingYiJia and LeGou near ZhongShan Road you can also find 24 hours drugstores in most communities. I agree with ASDF19 refer to the winter clothing. It is quite cold because the city has no warm system like cities in North China. Aircondition can't make the room warm and you usually need to have thick clothing on at home. Enjoy your time in Ningbo and feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines