Nikko Travel Answers

change location
autumn918's Profile Photo

Nikko mini pass

by autumn918 Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Hi fellow VTs,

Does anyone know much about the Nikko free pass?

If I purchase a 2 day pass(which include round trip from tokyo), can I stay in Nikko for 2 nights & use the pass for 2 days, & only return to tokyo on the 3rd day?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Bilimari's Profile Photo

Re: Nikko mini pass

by Bilimari Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 8:07 AM

If you have a 2-day pass, you'll need to complete the entire trip in 2 days.

JR Tobu has 3 day pass. See detail here: jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nikko_ki...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM

The pass is valid on four consecutive days only.

Full explanation here:
    japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002....

by Bilimari Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Note that the one's on the Japan-guide.com (4 days pass) is different from the one that I mentioned. It is good for 3 days. It costs more but you can do more with it. Read the detail on each page, and decide which one works better for you.
    Enjoy Nikko!

• autumn918's Profile Photo

by autumn918 Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Thanks for all your replies.

Actually I read somewhere that there is a mini pass for 2 days. But forgotten where is the info.

by Bilimari Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM

The only 2 day pass I found was run by Tobu-bus.
    tobu-bus.com/pc/ticket/nikko... (Note: the linked page is in Japanese. Try Google translate, etc. to get the info on that page.)

Basically, they have 5 different passes, all good for 2 days, but it doesn't include round trip from Tokyo.
    I've seen several bus tours from Tokyo to Nikko when I stayed at hotels in Tokyo, but couldn't find the info online. :(

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM

If that interests you, I used a full day organized bus tour from Tokyo to Nikko which included a great lunch, Japanese style and a visit to to Kegon Falls and the Lake.

This is what I wrote about it then:

The Cherry Tree blooming season was over in Tokyo, but the trees on the road up to Nikko were in full bloom. There is a special beauty to the wild cherry trees that only grow on the mountain tops. Saw 300 year old Cedar trees and some fine examples of the typical Japanese Pine that is so often seen in Japanese prints.

The shrine at Nikko is impressive. Wooden carvings 8-9 hundred years old gilded with a thin layer of real gold. The Japanese Phoenix that could visit only in time of peace.

A gorgeous GONG!!! Very low tone that carries for miles! It is rung using a clapper on the end of a full sized log (a whole tree) dependent on long rope that requires real strength to pull.

On to the Lake and Kegon Falls - an extinct volcano, 1,300 meters high. The climb up that steep turning, twisting road is fantastic. So narrow and steep that there are two different roads for traffic climbing and traffic descending. There are wild monkeys in the trees up there.

japanican.com/tours/tourdeta...

Full details: "A very different and fascinating visit." - Tokyo by unaS Tips/To Do

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines