Nikko Travel Answers

change location

Nikko accommodation.

by nizora Online Now Oct 23, 2007 at 7:09 AM

Could anyone please recommend a hotel or ryokan in a convenient location in Nikko, around 15000 yens for 2 people.
Many thanks in advance .
Bob

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Nikko accommodation.

by vtforls2007 Online Now Jan 2, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Avoid Logette Sanbois! I'm sorry I can't recommend a good place to stay in Nikko

This is a review that I wrote about the place:

Avoid Logette Sanbois! It was slightly snowing when we arrived at Logette Sanbois and it was as cold INSIDE as it was outside. We stayed in the waiting area 20 minutes (our rooms weren't ready) before asking them if they would turn on the heater because it was freezing inside! We decided to go in town to WARM up and get some lunch. When we came back to the house we noticed that only certain parts of the house were heated. I continuously had to wear my 2 light jackets under my feather down parka and a fleece hat IN THE HOUSE (and even sleeping) to stay warm. We stayed in the Japanese room with a gas heater. When you turn on the heater, it smelled horribly of GAS which made me feel sick to the stomach. I had a slight cold when I arrived at the house. My cold turned to bad to WORSE because the house was very cold and the owners did not adequately supply us with a safe heater. This place was miserable to stay in. The choice was either use the heater to keep warm (still wearing my 2 light jackets under my feather down parka and fleece hat) or get sick from the smell of GAS. I choose not to use the heater because of the smell.

The house is 20 minutes from town -- very inconvenient. Since it was snowing and very cold, we couldn't walk to town. There is nothing to do near the house. When we arrived at the house and noticed the inadequate heating arrangement, we were reminded of the 100% no money back if we canceled our reservation (according to the reservation policy). I should have just paid them and left. This was the most miserable accommodation I ever stayed in. We were the only guests staying at the house at that time, that was a tell-tale sign.

I read the reviews of the house before we made the reservations and they were very positive -- contrary to my experience. I wonder if they stayed at the house when the weather was warm and the use of the gas heater was not necessary. I was misled by the reviews and felt compelled to write one.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Nikko accommodation.

by Brandiarae7 Online Now Nov 9, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Dear Bob,
    15,000 yen for two people is not a lot for a Riokan in Nikko. Ordinarily a Riokan includes dinner, breakfast, and a place to stay. Usually you are paying mostly for the meals.

I would suggest that you open your search a little bit to include the town of Kinogawa onsen. It is about a thirty minute train ride from Kinugawa to Nikko. The ride itself is very beautiful as it winds through the mountains. The price of onsens in Kinugawa are much lower than those in Nikko. I think it is a more enjoyable trip.

Brandia Tanaka--
    author of Five Great Days in Tokyo avail at amazon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines