Nijmegen Travel Answers

change location

Nijmegen Travel Plan, need advice

by karprasad Online Now Jul 9, 2010 at 4:24 AM

Dear Forum Members,

I have been seeing posts here and find that people are extremely helpful, I need some advice as I would be shortly travelling to Nijmegen, and a first time traveller.

1. I would be reaching Amsterdam Airport by flight at around 13:30 (Local Time) on a weekday (Friday), what are the options (Along with Cost will be helpful) to reach Nijmegen from Amsterday (Remember that I will have atleast 30kg Luggage bag with me).Please suggest.

2. I would get three weekends in during my stay in Nijmegen, I plan to visit Paris,Venice and Swiss or Berlin over these weekends from Nijmegen, As I dont prefer very expensive itenary please suggest some cheap flight or train options and also what places within these cities would I be able to cover in 2 days (which includes my to and fro travel time from Nimegen), also some cheap but neat bed and breakfast inns. Let me know your thoughts.

Regards
Prasad

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Nijmegen Travel Plan, need advice

by ATLC Online Now Jul 9, 2010 at 5:12 AM

First of all: public transportation.
    The schedules of train/tram/bus/metro in English (door-to-door) can be found here:
    http://journeyplanner.9292.nl

The train journey from Schiphol (=airport Amsterdam, platform 3) to Nijmegen is 1.5 hrs.
    Considering the amount of luggage, take the 29 or 59 minutes past the hour trains as this train has no changeover. (For instance: 14.29 and 14.49). There are 4 trains per hour but as said, take one of the two suggested here.

A one way ticket is 17.70 euro.

Schiphol Travel Taxi.
    I did the calculation for you, taking a central point in Nijmegen. I also added some extra luggage, since you mentioned that.
    The cost is about 90 euro if you share the taxi.
    For a private drive, the cost is about 160 euro.
    More info: schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFro...

So far my reply to your first question.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jul 9, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Part two.

In my opinion, Paris and Berlin are most feasible as they can be reached by high speed train easily and fairly quickly without the hassle of check-ins at airports.

The prices depend on how early you book. Meaning 3 months early will get you a much lower price than a few weeks or days ahead (if the trains aren't fully booked).

Here's your link: http://www.nshispeed.nl/en
    I did a test booking for a month ahead (13-15 August) to Paris with the Thalys train, return ticket, prices from 92.4 euro. However, this one is already sold out. The travel time is about 5 hours.

A second test booking under the same conditions to Berlin with the ICE train is
    from about 128 euro return ticket. The shortest travel time is 6 hrs 45 mins.

I suggest you repeat your question about accommodation in the appropriate forums (Paris, Berlin) so that other members will see your question and help.

• Re: Nijmegen Travel Plan, need advice

by karprasad Online Now Jul 9, 2010 at 5:54 AM

Hi,

Thanks for such a speedy reply, now if we narrow down our discussion to reaching Paris from Nijmegen, do we also see some cheap flight options? or may be a over night direct bus option? if yes how much does it cost, any pointers appreciated.

As you suggested I would also repeat this question in Paris forum.

Regards
    Prasad

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jul 9, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines