Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel Travel Answers

change location

Trees

by Tori_T2U Online Now Jan 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM

I'm writing a book about your area, and I wondered what kinds of trees do you have. I believe it is the birch tree that grows out over the canals and has loose bark. What other kinds of trees do you have in your area. Also, do you have caterpillars and what colors are they?

I would very much appreciate your help in giving me details about your lovely city. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Trees

by ATLC Online Now Jan 20, 2008 at 10:11 PM

LOL! I never perceived Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel as a lovely city :-)
    It's more of a village really, a satellite to Rotterdam.
    It has the lowest point in The Netherlands. 6,76 metres below sealevel.

Next to NK a/d IJ is a nature park called Groot Hitland. I've found a description but it is in Dutch. Give me a little time to translate the essential...

The link is: anwb.nl/images/vakantie/wand...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jan 20, 2008 at 10:23 PM

The nature park Hitland is peat moor ground. In the 1980s a fast growing wood was laid out by landscape architects. Featured trees are alder, as, willow and poplar.

More images here: http://www.hitland.info/
    This looks like a badly maintained website but you could try to contact them: hitland.info/default.asp?Ele...
    Or contact the town council to direct you to the municipal landscape department: nieuwerkerk-ijssel.nl/conten...

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jan 20, 2008 at 10:30 PM

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jan 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM

ah, good one PJ!

That reminds me. Generally in The Netherlands it is birch tree, and beech tree (I have an ancient one, 300 yrs old) in my garden.
    And American oak.

Don't know anything about caterpillars though. I would think brown. I mean, we don't have very colourful insects apart from ladybirds, butterflies... but I may be wrong.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 12:43 AM

For more information about Nieuwerkerk take a look at the pages of VT-member '36 waterfalls', she is living there. Or else write/mail her to get your information.

If you are interested reading about the lowest point of the Netherlands see my tip: members.virtualtourist.com/v...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel