Nicosia Travel Answers

change location
MrBill's Profile Photo

Flying from Nicosia to Turkey

by MrBill Online Now Feb 24, 2005 at 4:09 AM

Hello all,

I have heard from my colleagues that it is not possible for me to cross the green line in Nicosia from Cyprus to the Republic of Northern Cyprus and take a flight from Nicosia to Istanbul or Ankara. They tell me that I may be arrested or get into trouble on my return as this is considered illegal. That is to improperly leave and then re-enter Cyprus without going through customs so to speak?

Does anyone know the true story here? Flights from Nicosia are much cheaper and direct. If not, I would have to fly from Larnaca to Turkey via the ME or somewhere and that would add both time and expense. Thanks.

Very much appreciated.

Bill.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • CliffClaven's Profile Photo

RE: Flying from Nicosia to Turkey

by CliffClaven Online Now Feb 24, 2005 at 4:32 AM

Yes, it's a problem. As the Foreign Ministry of the Republic of Cyprus clearly indicates, "Any entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus via any other port or airport in the area of Cyprus in which the Government of the Republic does not exercise effective control (Turkish occupied area) is illegal."

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MrBill's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Flying from Nicosia to Turkey

by MrBill Online Now Feb 24, 2005 at 5:21 AM

It would certainly be an interesting test case for the European Court of Justice, but not sure I want to be the test case? Last time I crossed over, I was only checked on the Turkish side and not the Greek Cypriot side, and as only my visa was stamped there is no permanent record of me ever being in N. Cyprus. However, I suppose if I cross into a third country this would be of record? Thanks Cliff.

• Profsmiley's Profile Photo

by Profsmiley Online Now Feb 24, 2005 at 11:54 PM

First of all, this is merely propaganda - there is no way they are finding out
    whether you left North Cyprus or not, unless you get a stamp in your passport -
    something which the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus immigration control would not do knowing it's trouble for the foreigners who cross borders. Whether you stay at a hotel or fly out, it looks the same - there is no trace on your pass.

Even the Greek Cypriots fly out of Ercan now - and I have not read/heard of any
    arrests in the South because of this...

Secondly, The Foreign Ministery of Republic of Cyprus might say this is illegal but there is a difference in the situation - if you arrive the island first time ever from TRNC - and you are not an EU citizen, then overland entry to the South is illegal.

If you arrive in the South, on the other hand, then you can cross the border to the North, fly out, return and then go back to the South.

• MrBill's Profile Photo

by MrBill Online Now Feb 25, 2005 at 12:31 AM

Hello Faize, thanks.

I would like to see them arrest a Canadian? It would make interesting reading back home, not that the Canadian Embassy would do anything to help me? But, it might affect my living & work permit in Cyprus? That would not be good.

Also, the R.N. Cyprus may not stamp my passport, but if I fly to Turkey and need a visa, then for sure it would be in my passport. Hypothetically, I enter Cyprus in January. In February I fly in and out of N. Cyprus to Turkey. Then next time I leave Cyprus, say in March, they would see that I was in Turkey in the meantime and wonder how, as I never legally left Cyprus so how could I come back in?

• RE: Flying from Nicosia to Turkey

by michaelayne Online Now Feb 26, 2005 at 12:42 PM

Agreed with most comments already made. Its best to stay on the safe side of foreign laws.

• george5b's Profile Photo

RE: Flying from Nicosia to Turkey

by george5b Online Now Aug 30, 2005 at 6:19 PM

Hello,

Flying and out of Ercan is illegal - unless you are a citizen of the European Union (that inclueds citizens of Cyprus) which are now allowed to enter Cyprus through any ports they chose. For non-EU-citizens the use of non authorized ports is illegal and may lead to arrest by Greek-Cypriot authorities. If that happens the result is usually a hefty fine and deportation.
    Apart from that flights out of Ercan to Istanbul are quite inconvinient. KTHY leaves at 5:50 in the morning, so you have to cross the border at about 3:00 to catch the flight on time.

• MrBill's Profile Photo

by MrBill Online Now Aug 30, 2005 at 11:45 PM

Thanks again, guys/Faize, very much appreciated. I guess I had better play it safe, as I am still here on a work/living permit, and don't need any problems. Hope your summer is going well? Take care. Bill

• Profsmiley's Profile Photo

by Profsmiley Online Now Sep 1, 2005 at 1:31 AM

Hey Bill,

Again I had to respond to some of the earlier comments. Noone had been arrested on the Greek side for flying out of Ercan.

And Turkish Airlines fly to Istanbul at 5 am, not Cyprus Turkish Airlines (KTHY) - KTHY have two daily flights; the morning one is at 7 am, and the evening one is at 7pm.

So you can fly as you like.

Dear friends who responded in these forum - if you insist to use the forum as a lobbying outlet, at least use correct information. Please do not misinform anyone!

Thanks, and take care!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines