Nice Travel Answers

change location
KMJSKINS's Profile Photo

August trip to Provence

by KMJSKINS Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I am planning to spend 6-7 days in late August visiting South of France. We will spend 2 nights in Nice, 2 in Avignon, 1 in Montpellier and 1 in Perpignan.
We will take day trips and visit, Aix, Menton, Roussillon, Carcassonne, Pont Du Gard and Eze. Is this too much? Also, we will be driving and want to stop in Italy for lunch. There are 3 of us, me, my wife and 22 year old son. Any suggestions on hotels. When should I book?
Thanks

Quote & Answer
18 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: August trip to Provence

by gwened Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

7 days around the world is too much. you see the area you are talking about? map ...Italy too. Driving is best I know, but the drive to all these places only will tell you were there nothing more.

I will take my 6-7 days into NIce, Avignon, Aix, Carcassonne, pont du gard and Eze. just a thought, I am from France and drive a lot.
    take a look at those town here in destinations and see what they have.
    Hope it helps your planning

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

If that's not too much it is way too much, really.

> I will take my 6-7 days into NIce, Avignon, Aix, Carcassonne,
    > pont du gard and Eze.

That would be the maximum for me.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I have recently spent the best part of a week advising a member of my family on a weeks holiday in the Nice area.
    They will be based outside Nice near St Paul de Vence and it will be a bit cooler and very much less crowded at the end of May than during your August visit.
    I must say I felt quite dizzy just reading the long list of places you included on your itinerary.
    Driving on the Cote d'Azure can be quite stressful. Most places on your proposed itinerary will be crowded - I would think of booking hotels (for 4) now rather than later.
    I guess you have already looked at the maps but in case you have not come across it do look at -
    www.viamichelin.com
    for route planning which gives itineraries, distances,driving times (enter your dates) and also hotels, usually in the middle- upper price bracket - as well as tourist attractions.
    For reliable, comfortable hotels see www.logishotels.com - family run typical French hotels and Chambres d'hote under the Gites de France site - the French version of B&B.
    You know best how much travelling in a day you can cope with and enjoy but for my money, at that time of year covering so many places, plus a dash over the border for an Italian lunch would be no holiday!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM

When I first started travelling in Europe, I gave into the temptation to cram as much into every day as possible. I worked on whistle stop itineraries and it was exhausting. Once I came to my senses, I started basing myself in a central hub and doing day trips from there. In 2011 I based myself in a wonderful and very well situated, not to mention affordably priced, apartment in L'Isle sur la Sorgue, which is a fascinating town in Provence about 30kms from Avignon. The town itself offered a lot to a visitor especially on market days and getting to Aix, Marseilles, Avignon, Arles, St Remy, Pont du Gard, Nimes etc was very doable by public transport and would be even more convenient with a car. Have a look here:
    "L'Isle sur la Sorgue - a wonderful getaway" - L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue by Maryimelda
    You could also use Nice as a hub to see Cannes, Eze, Menton, Monaco etc.
    Please don't fall into the trap of packing up and changing location every day. You will see very little of this fabulous part of the world if you do that. Enjoy your trip!

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I'll second what previous members have advised. We have spent a toal of 25 days in Nice (3 of these in the mountain village of St Dalmas de Tende) and have taken day trips to Monaco, St Paul de Vence, Vence, Biot, Cannes, Antibes, Eze, Tende, La Brigue, L'Escarene, Luceram and Villefranche to name a few. There is still a lot we want to see in this small area and to extend it to Carcassonne and Perpignan with lots of stops in between would be possible, but hectic and would leave little time to sit in a village square and enjoy a glass of wine or a coffee, wander through a market, sample the local food etc. The straight trip from Carcassonne to Menton via the places you want to see, is only about 410 miles, which to an American may not seem much; but remember this is through a very popular tourist area at the height of the tourist season. As you are coming from a distance away, you will want to spread yourself a bit thinner than we have done, but try to concentrate on fewer areas, possibly using the earlier suggestions. Have a look at my pages for Nice and Eze for some ideas. Hope you enjoy your holiday in the south of France, I'm sure that you'll love it. Bruce

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

In reading further down the forum I see that you are driving from Barcelona and back which makes the total trip over a thousand miles. All the more reason to rethhink your plans. An earlier answer mentioned the Gites de France website. For slightly upmarket choices (mainly small hotels), also try the Logis website: www.logishotels.com/en/index.html
    Hope this helps. Bruce

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM

You really don't have much time so why not split your trip into two? You could drive from Barcelona to Perpignan, visit the city and move on to the beautiful village of Collioure where you could spend the night. Then while driving to Montpellier, make a side trip to Carcassonne, a definite must-see in the area. Move on to Montpellier and then Avignon. Visit Avignon, the Pont du Gard and perhaps Arles for a real taste of Provence. That will easily take care of 6-7 days and is still a bit rushed.

Then start planning another trip to Nice with a visit into Italy for lunch . . . or perhaps a market day. There is so much to do in either area that you will only begin to scratch the surface in two trips. Besides it will give you something to anticipate . . . ;^)

Type all of these places into the VT Search Window above to see what members have already written about them and you will quickly discover how much there is to see and do.

Have fun visiting one of my favorite parts of France. You never run out of things to do there and it is gorgeous.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

by painterdave Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Wow, you are going to have fun, you picked a great area to visit.
    Roussillon.. I painted some watercolors in that town. So colorful.
    Your trip seems a bit over what you have time for....
    Here is a page I made for a town I think you would like. It is near Roussilon, we drove there one morning, I think it was about an hour from Bonnieux.
    I found this town completely by accident, and it turned out to be a super accident!
    When you have your plan figured out, you should try to book ASAP. The reason is that a whole lot of Italians go on vacation in August. The factories shut down and EVERYBODY goes. Prices go up! And everything else factors in. I know all this seems crazy but that is how it is here. Get planning... and enjoy.
    Have fun, Dave
    Retired American Teacher living in Venice

• painterdave's Profile Photo

by painterdave Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:02 AM

• KMJSKINS's Profile Photo

by KMJSKINS Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Thank you so much for your insight. Sometimes, I fall into that trap of trying to see everything. I will now reconsider.

by KMJSKINS Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Thanks so much for your advice.

by KMJSKINS Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I really appreciate your help and advice. Will have to scale back on mu initial plans.
    Thanks

by KMJSKINS Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Thank you so much for your advice and insight. I obviously have to adjust and make a new travel plan.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Don't forget to come back with more specific questions should further advice be needed as you redo your plan

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM

> L'Isle sur la Sorgue, which is a fascinating town in
    > Provence about 30kms from Avignon

Thanks!! Stupid me had never heard of it and a Google Picture search quickly revealed that you are absolutely right. Now that's another spot I need to see!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM

@Turtleshell ..... Just be sure to be there in L'Isle sur la Sorgue on Thursday or Sunday (preferably Sunday) for the markets. One of the very best I have ever seen.

• Re: August trip to Provence

by blinkwish Online Now May 31, 2013 at 7:37 AM

We will spend 2 nights in Nice, 2 in Avignon, 1 in Montpellier and 1 in Perpignan. We will take day trips and visit, Aix, Menton, Roussillon, Carcassonne, Pont Du Gard and Eze. Is this too much? Also, we will be driving and want to stop in Italy for lunch. There are 3 of us, me, my wife and 22 year old son. Any suggestions on hotels. When should I book? Thanks

Hey your choices are great, I've visited the south of France during my vacation before,  now I actually live in France right now :

Here's some advice for your trip :

When I went there, we were 5, my husband, 3 children and I, so we stayed in a holiday village called Escapde Vacances http://bit.ly/16vQdYw  it was very affordable and we were near . It was in Vaison-la-Romaine, take a deep look here http://bit.ly/1430Mi7

The town is full of history and things to discover for all generations. I love Avignon, especially in summer, there a theatre festival during July, too bad that you come only in August, you'd have loved it. Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is another "must" down there, and you can enjoy the road of Ocres http://bit.ly/10EoUqs It's in Roussillon, so don't miss it, take clothes for change after visiting it, you'll understand why later, trust me. I' would also recommand you Nime, and Uzes, for its candy factory, Haribo. And if you plan to drive to Menton, their best product is lemons, sweet and delicious lemon.

Where in Italy you want to stop by ?  Maybe I know some restaurants there 

Have fun, and have a nice trip to France, hope you'll share your trip report later.

• Re: August trip to Provence

by Peter4YU Online Now Jul 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Thanks to you !
    I love the south of France and I thought in a holiday village.
    I'll look at their website Escapade vacances => nice !
    Bye !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines