Nice Travel Answers

change location
Blahnix's Profile Photo

Is there a train?

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Is there a train from Nice airport to Roggio, Italy?
If so will I have many changes to make?

Thanks, Franki

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Is there a train?

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 5:54 AM

I assume you mean Roggio in the province of Lucca?

If so, it has no railway station, I'm afraid. The nearest seem to be either Poggio or Camporgiano, both some distance away.

You can't take a train from Nice airport but you can from Nice Ville. The official French railway website (in French) is

www.voyages-sncf.com

but you will find it easier to find train times and details for this international journey using the reliable

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

which carries data for almost all European trains.

Nice Ville station (not at the airport) to Camporgiano or Poggio will take you at least 8 hours, with at least two changes involved.

You will then need bus or taxi from the station up to Roggio. I have found the (very infrequent) bus times from Camporgiano (about 4 miles from Roggio) >Roggio. Line Q52 on this link:

vaibus.com/pdf/Extraurbano4f...

but can find none from Poggio (about 6 miles from Roggio).

For those reasons I suggest you arrive at Camporgiano rather than Poggio.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:09 AM

A short answer to your question is NO. However from the airport you can catch the train to Nice, but you will have to find the nearest station to Roggio in Italy. And i am not sure which that one would be but you must head towards La Spezia

1 member found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:15 AM

International trains depart from Nice Ville station. Bus 99 will take you from the airport direct to Nice Ville railway station:

en.nice.aeroport.fr/Passenge...

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Blahnix's Profile Photo

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Thank you so much for the very detailed answer to my question. I think I may look into flying into Italy instead. Stand by, I'm sure I'll have more questions.
    Many, many thanks, A bientot, Franki

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM

You're more than welcome....do ask more if you wish!

Best airport s to try for are probably Pisa or Florence. If you can choose either I suggest you use the Trenitalia link I gave to check train times to Camporgiano, then pick the most convenient.

www.skyscanner.net will give you all carriers and, usually, fares for your date and route but book on the airline's own website.

1 member found this helpful

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Hi Leics,

Thank you once again. I think you are probably right about the airports and from the North I can more easily get to Pisa, just checking out fares and routes right now so as soon as a cheap enough fare comes up I'll be off. Have to jump in the tub right now but will be back with more questions tomorrow ,

Franki

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Hi leics, I looked up the site you gave me but it came back to VT. Also looked up Train Europe, still no luck.
    Does all correspondence go on the site? Many thanks, Franki

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think there must have been a glitch when you were looking.

All the links I have given work perfectly for me from this thread: I just checked them all.

Let me know if you're still having problems and I'll send you the full links via a VT message.

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Possibly. I tried it again and did get the site with train time schedule but no prices. Message was that prices were not given on line outside of Germany but there was a phone number so perhaps that will be the next step. Thank you.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM

The bahn.de site will not give you fares other than for and from Germany.

The voyages-sncf site won't give you prices for all international journeys, I'm afraid, and especially not when at least one of the segments involve journeys on trains owned and run by another country.

That's usually the way, I'm afraid. Even a ticketing agency such as Raileurope won't give you a ticket price online for international journeys which go to settlements as small as Camporgiano (you have to phon an agent).

But you can get a pretty accurate idea of costs like this:

Check the routing using bahn.de and find the crossing point between France and Italy (Ventimiglia).

Get the fare for the Nice>Ventimiglia (Vintimille) segment from voyages-sncf: around 6.80 euro.

Then get the fare Venitimiglia>Camporgiano from the Italian railway website in English:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

(from 23.80 euro, depending on the departure you choose).

Adding the two together will give you rough idea of what the ticket cost will be.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines