Nicaragua

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Bus travel San Jorge to San Carlos

Nicaragua Jan 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Is there daily bus travel from San Jorge to San Carlos? I will be on Ometepe and want to go to San Carlos, down the Río San Juan and return to Granada. Are buses frequent, daily?

more
    • Karlie85's Profile Photo

Finalizing seven-night itin, thoughts please

Nicaragua Dec 30, 2014 at 6:41 PM

My husband and I will be travelling to Nicaragua for one week in March - arriving midday on a Saturday and leaving midday the following Saturday - six full days/seven nights total.

We are trying to come up with an itinerary so that we can book accommodations in advance. We would definitely like to stay in León, hike a nearby volcano and either do a day trip to Las Peñitas or possibly stay there for one night. We are also interested in several sights around Granada, but we are not interested in Granada itself at all. We've done a lot of reading and based on our past travel experience, it doesn't sound like somewhere we need/want to spend any time in.

Here is exactly what we would like to do:

Around Granada

- Kayak around Las Isletas

- Go for a dip and relax in Laguna de Apoyo

- Visit Volcán Mombacho and do one of the hikes

León and Around

- Explore the city, see the cathedral and art gallery

- Relax in the city (cool bars/cafes)

- Hike/day trip to one of the nearby volcanoes

- Get a good amount of beach time at Las Peñitas (try surfing lessons, relax on beach)

- Possibly stay one night at Las Peñitas to be able to fully relax and enjoy the sunset

Given the time that we have (7 nights, 6 full days, and two half days), how would you suggest we split up our time? How long will we need in Granada to see those specific things? Should we use Granada as a base or should we be staying somewhere else, possibly at one of the accommodations at Laguna de Apoyo?

We want this to be more of a mellow trip so don't want to spend all of our time moving between destinations (even knowing that the distances aren't long).

Thank you very much!

more
    • rizame's Profile Photo

Nicaragua Route- Advice Anyone??

Nicaragua Dec 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I am travelling to Nicaragua mid January, solo female,my flight arrives late so I have arranged hotel with pickup in Managua and I plan on doing the typical gringo trail.My question is this - do I
      -A- stay overnight in Managua,next day take microbus from UCA to Leon (safe?) then make my way to Grenada , Omepete, SJDS .... or
      -B- when I arrive at airport go straight to Grenada to overnight,then do Omepete, SJDS, Leon........also keep in mind I want to hit up Corn islands and wasn't sure when I should do that....right away after arriving or later on in trip?I have 28 days total to burn.
      Thanx Aimee

more
    • Bus travel San Jorge to San Carlos

Nicaragua Jan 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Is there daily bus travel from San Jorge to San Carlos? I will be on Ometepe and want to go to San Carlos, down the Río San Juan and return to Granada. Are buses frequent, daily?

3 Answers Jan 24, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    • rizame's Profile Photo

Nicaragua Route- Advice Anyone??

Nicaragua Dec 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I am travelling to Nicaragua mid January, solo female,my flight arrives late so I have arranged hotel with pickup in Managua and I plan on doing the typical gringo trail.My question is this - do I
      -A- stay overnight in Managua,next day take microbus from UCA to Leon (safe?) then make my way to Grenada , Omepete, SJDS .... or
      -B- when I arrive at airport go straight to Grenada to overnight,then do Omepete, SJDS, Leon........also keep in mind I want to hit up Corn islands and wasn't sure when I should do that....right away after arriving or later on in trip?I have 28 days total to burn.
      Thanx Aimee

10 Answers Jan 1, 2015 at 11:05 PM
    • Karlie85's Profile Photo

Finalizing seven-night itin, thoughts please

Nicaragua Dec 30, 2014 at 6:41 PM

My husband and I will be travelling to Nicaragua for one week in March - arriving midday on a Saturday and leaving midday the following Saturday - six full days/seven nights total.

We are trying to come up with an itinerary so that we can book accommodations in advance. We would definitely like to stay in León, hike a nearby volcano and either do a day trip to Las Peñitas or possibly stay there for one night. We are also interested in several sights around Granada, but we are not interested in Granada itself at all. We've done a lot of reading and based on our past travel experience, it doesn't sound like somewhere we need/want to spend any time in.

Here is exactly what we would like to do:

Around Granada

- Kayak around Las Isletas

- Go for a dip and relax in Laguna de Apoyo

- Visit Volcán Mombacho and do one of the hikes

León and Around

- Explore the city, see the cathedral and art gallery

- Relax in the city (cool bars/cafes)

- Hike/day trip to one of the nearby volcanoes

- Get a good amount of beach time at Las Peñitas (try surfing lessons, relax on beach)

- Possibly stay one night at Las Peñitas to be able to fully relax and enjoy the sunset

Given the time that we have (7 nights, 6 full days, and two half days), how would you suggest we split up our time? How long will we need in Granada to see those specific things? Should we use Granada as a base or should we be staying somewhere else, possibly at one of the accommodations at Laguna de Apoyo?

We want this to be more of a mellow trip so don't want to spend all of our time moving between destinations (even knowing that the distances aren't long).

Thank you very much!

3 Answers Jan 1, 2015 at 2:40 AM
    • Travelling Nica alone

Nicaragua Dec 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Hey there,

I'm travelling Nicaragua alone from January to March 2015..
      I'm 26 y/o, female, and pretty new to travelling. I'm laidback, want to hit up Granada, Leon, and Ometepe Island, hike some volcanos and choose the most cost efficient way. Would love to travel with someone around my age for a bit. Any takers..email me at ktlnsymonds@yahoo.ca

1 Answer Dec 28, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    • carloarg02's Profile Photo

Tortugas / Turtles?

San Juan del Sur Dec 23, 2014 at 7:21 AM

I was thinking about going to La Flor Natural Reserve to see turtles. For what I read, the best chances to spot turtles are at night. If I go during the day, will I see turtles too?

Estabamos pensando en ir a la reserva La Flor (cerca de San Juan del Sur) para ver tortugas. Por lo que veo, las mejores oportunidades de ver tortugas son de noche. pero si vamos de dia, veremos tortugas?

4 Answers Dec 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    • By bus to San Carlos from Managua

San Carlos Nov 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Despite the traveler's account above of the trip from San CArlos to Managua by bus, does anyone have more info in the opposite direction? I need to travel to San Carlos on Saturday, January 17, stay overnight in San Carlos and catch a boat across the border the next day - at 10.30am, I believe.

Does anyone have a schedule for the bus trip and the border crossing?

Would so much appreciate it!
      Many thanks!
      Kenny Mann

• jamestravels's Profile Photo

Son traveling to Ometepe Island

Managua Oct 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Is there a hospital and what is its name? Should I be concerned about my son getting sick form water or food. Should he get Malaria pills? or Typhoid vaccination? Nervous mom thanks!

5 Answers Nov 1, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    • Leon to Granada, Nicaragua

Nicaragua Oct 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM

What is the best way to travel from Leon to Granada? I understand that the bus goes via Managua, which seems a long way round. I have asked about a private shuttle, but it is very expensive. We are 2 people and will be travelling in January.
      Also interested in advice about travel from Granada to San Jose, in Costa Rica.

5 Answers Oct 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    • Matthieuskydive's Profile Photo

Car or Foot?

Nicaragua Oct 1, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Hey Guys,

I am traveling to Nicaragua for three weeks (oct 10th to nov 1) but arriving/leaving from Liberia Costa Rica. Do you think it will be a better experience to travel by foot or rent a car? I will be alone for the first week and with a brother for the following two weeks. We plan on surfing a lot, volcano hiking and chilling.

1 Answer Oct 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    • Managua safe?

Managua Aug 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Is it safe to travel to managua for 3 days? I heard there was a war there or something. I will be at Seminole Plaza Hotel.

3 Answers Aug 28, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    • Accomedation

Nicaragua Aug 25, 2014 at 5:40 AM

We, Henriet Richard and Julius 6 years old from The Netherlands are planning our holliday 2015.
      Nicaragua is also on our wichlist.
      We are looking for accomedation all over Nicaragua . we want to do a round trip 28 days.
      A little hut, stay with a family, even a hammock ect ect no problem as long as it is hygienic/clean and safe.
      Also ideas about what ti see and do are welcome.

Thanks.

3 Answers Aug 26, 2014 at 8:22 AM
    • Safety in Nicaragua

Managua Jul 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM

How safe is nicaragua to visit with chilren?

• semiczech's Profile Photo

sports headlamps in managua

Nicaragua Jun 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM

where can I buy a high-lumen sports headlamp in Managua?

• Visitor safety

Nicaragua May 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Are there any travel adviseries due health and wellfare of visiters

5 Answers May 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM
    • allen1f's Profile Photo

1st time visit to Managua for 4 days via Tika Bus

Managua Apr 27, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Arriving in Managua via the TICA BUS in May for 4 days. Need hotel that is convenient, relatively close to bus terminal and downtown, in price range of US$50-80. Any suggestions? Thanks

1 Answer Apr 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    • Traveling in the Fall

Nicaragua Apr 25, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Hi there, new to the community and looking for some insight. I'm planning on visiting Nicaragua in the fall and was wondering if anyone had any advice for things to look for/avoid. Help is much appreciated.

3 Answers Apr 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    • busses from Leon tot Granada

León Apr 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Do I have to make a reservation for the busses or can you just take a bus on the day you want to travel and between wich times I can take a bus?

buitenbeentje2009@hotmail.com

1 Answer Apr 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    • jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

Can I buy a prepaid SIM card in San Carlos?

San Carlos Mar 28, 2014 at 4:45 AM

Or is it even possible to buy a cheapish mobile phone only for SMS and national phone calls. I will arrive from Costa Rica and stay for a week or so in the region before heading north.

• jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

City tours

Managua Mar 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM

When I got to Nicaragua next summer I would like to make a guided city tour. I have been in Nicaragua twice but never in Managua. About 8 years ago I met someone that ran this business: citytoursmanagua.com/rutasgu....
      I don’t remember his name and the e-mail adress isn’t working. The agencies I found in the internet don’t seem to make tours of this kind he made. Shall I instead rent a taxi for a few hours? But I would also like to go to markets and walk the city.

5 Answers Mar 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    • cheap hotel leon

Nicaragua Feb 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM

cheap accomodation

leon nicaragua

3 Answers Feb 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    • Nicaragua airport and SJDS

Managua Feb 8, 2014 at 6:06 AM

My niece went to Nicaragua on mission trip. Going through customs she said was very scary they were going through their luggage and taking stuff. Does this really happen. Im planning to visit SJDS next year. Now im scared of airport and driving around. Should I be.

9 Answers Feb 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    • country hopping

Nicaragua Feb 2, 2014 at 5:59 AM

Does any one know if there is a form of transportation from guanacaste costa Rica to california? Prefer not to fly and am interested in a train. Does anyone have any answered?

4 Answers Feb 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    • nikoskaps's Profile Photo

Backpacking Nicaragua tips– places... Ok for solo trip?

Nicaragua Jan 24, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Hi there!
      I 'm travelling solo to Central America in March, flying to San Hose, and consider for later to enter Nicaragua from there, for a week - ten day trip -I have just started researching via forum and soon guidebooks.
      Could you suggest some nice spots to visit in Nicaragua, mostly half south part of the country, at low budget levels of comfort?
      Resorts and travel companies, are out of the question…
      My interests would be beaches, culture, villages, forest, volcanoes… well, maybe too ambitious for backpacking? We’ll see…
      I 'll move around with public transport, stay at simple hotels/ hostels, walk around cities and villages, have some daytrips to nature from there, possibly on our own with other travelers, or with the help of a local guide .
      Safety is a concern for me also, as a solo traveller. When backpacking you are exposed more openly to the situations of real life around you, and Nicaragua has some discouraging statistics on those....
      Many thanks, happy travels to all!
      Nikolaos

6 Answers Jan 31, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    • Ferry schedule from Altagracia to Granada

Isla de Ometepe Jan 17, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I am interested in taking the ferry from Altagracia to Granada. The schedule indicates that the ferry leaves Friday at 24:00 (midnight). Would this mean Thurs night/Friday morning or Friday night/Saturday morning. I'm slightly confused as 24:00 is not actually used in military time. Thanks for helping!

2 Answers Jan 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    • Anyone who would like to share a taxi in Ometepe to see the petroglyphs?

Nicaragua Dec 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

HI - this is a long shot I guess but I am eager to see as many as I can and most of the usual means of transportation are not possible for me. I don't drive, and physical problems/age make scooters and bicycles out of the question. I am an older American woman, mostly agreeable to have around, an educated and sensitive person. I am currently in Granada and will be around for the next few weeks, so I thought I would give this a try. Thanks, Jean

2 Answers Dec 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    • Pre Columbian ruin sites, museums

Nicaragua Dec 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

HI - I know that there is not a lot of these in Nicaragua. I am currently in Granada, I have visited the San Francisco museum and will visit Mimuseo when it reopens on Tuesday; I am still figuring out how to get to Ometepe without a car. To see the archeological site there is it better to leave from Rivas or Granada? I have seen that there are a few things in Esteli and I read a really interesting but ten years old article - reproduced many times but there is no followup I can find - about this important site near Kurkra Hill (Bluefields) on the coast. After 2003 there does not seem to be any information about continuing research, or visits. It is certainly not on the tourist route! Any information or ideas are appreciated. Thanks, Jean

3 Answers Dec 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    • Bus from El Savador to Managua

Nicaragua Nov 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Hi - I am in trouble with air tickets because of last minute decision making (nothing new) - Flying from the States to Managua in a week or so, the situation is horrible. It would be simpler and cheaper - although still a bit of a struggle - to fly into El Salvador and then take a bus. Any ideas on which company? I do know about the Tica Bus but I dont know if can reserve a seat online, that could be risky. Any advice? thanks, Jean

8 Answers Nov 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    • horseback riding

Las Peñitas Nov 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Hi, we are planning a family trip to Las Penitas in January. -Family with 2 teenagers. We like to get some information on horsebackriding in Las Penitas. I can't seem to find any information on places or prices or any set-ups with horses. - Only says that Hotels will arrange something. Is there any place you can ride that also has rooms to stay in?
      There isn't by any chance a sea-doo (jet-ski) rental?
      Thank you for giving us any kind of information!

1 Answer Nov 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    • interesting places in nicaragua

Nicaragua Nov 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

what are some places in nicaragua to have fun�

2 Answers Nov 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    • Interesting hotels in nicaragua

Nicaragua Nov 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

What has been the best hotel in Nicaragua�

3 Answers Feb 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM