Niagara Falls Travel Answers

change location

The Falls in March

by paintngrl Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I plan on going to the Falls next week. Is it really worth the trip during this time of year? It looks like everything is closed and all the tours are off season. I'm flying in from Ca. to CT. and am planning a day trip to the Falls.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Re: The Falls in March

by johngayton Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about missing the commercial side of the falls. The natural spectacle is what they are all about but once you've taken a few pics that's really all there is to them.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM

If you can handle the freezing weather including a good chance of snow you will be fine. Just some of the trails on the New York side of the falls will be impassable. Good news is that the prices of most of the hotels and even restaurants will be less expensive and less crowded.

• Re: The Falls in March

by ramot418 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Some points.....

Are you planning a day trip from Connecticut? I'm curious to know how you are planning on doing this.

Also, the major things to see are on the Canadian side.  If you are planning to go there, I think you need a passport .

I'm quite sure the Maid of the Mist boat to the foot of the Falls is not running at this time of year.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM

The falls are amazing any time of year but I think this is one of the best times to see them as there will be ice in the river going over the falls. We went there early in March 5 years ago and got a very cheap deal at Michael's Inn. And as already mentioned, the commercial side is not all that important for a day trip; and the Canadian side gives the best views of the falls. Enjoy your visit to Niagara Falls. Bruce

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Yes, I'm concerned about the idea of a "day trip" to Niagara Falls from Connecticut. It's a 7-hour drive one-way. You'd have to stay at least one night, if just to rest before driving back.

Getting to the Canadian side requires a passport. Or there's the enhanced drivers licenses... It's best to look at the official site: getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng... (wow, never realized what a horrid site that is)
    You can park on the US side (about $5 for the day) and walk over. Don't try to drive over as the lines getting back in to the US can be bad and the walk over the Rainbow Bridge is really nice. And, you'd have to pay to park up the hill from the falls and walk in anyway.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Good time of year to see the falls as there won't be the usual crowds that you see in the summer. The Maid of the Mist won't be sailing yet, but the Falls will be there in all their glory. Missing the Clifton Hill area (Canadian side), if things are closed won't be hard to take.

I think a day trip is far to short; you'd miss out on the wineries in the area and the pretty little town, Niagara-on-the-Lake.

• by ramot418 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM

"Yes, I'm concerned about the idea of a "day trip" to Niagara Falls from Connecticut. It's a 7-hour drive one-way. "
    Even by flying (to and from Buffalo, NY) it would be near impossible, taking into consideration the time meeded to get to/from airports, as well as airport security.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I always like seeing the falls no mattter what the weather is like. I seen it at least half a dozen times and it has always been a spectatucler sight. I wouldn't miss it and if you stay over the night, check into the embassy Suites and ask them for a room overlooking the falls. it will still be lit up at night and you can have your own relaxing private view from your window.

cheers tommy x

• mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM

The Falls is nice at any time of the year as said before. I like the winter scene with the ice formations, but it's quite chilly. If you are doing a day trip from CT, I wouldn't recommend it. It's just too much. You need time to walk around and enjoy it from different viewpoints, as well as going to other interesting places nearby.

• la-lola's Profile Photo

by la-lola Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

i guess is too late for a comment..i hope you enjoyed your trip.. to niagara falls..

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Niagara Falls