Newport Beach Travel Answers

change location
adamtheenglishman's Profile Photo

Spending In Newport

by adamtheenglishman Online Now Mar 28, 2005 at 2:09 PM

Hi, im coming over from England next year and im staying in Newport Beach for around 3 months. i have guestimated that i will spend around2300 per month (based on cheap food, rented room in house and a few nights out) do you think this is realistic or am i way off?
Thanks
Adam

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • badwhitevette's Profile Photo

RE: Spending In Newport

by badwhitevette Online Now Mar 28, 2005 at 2:29 PM

Welcome to the USA. Your biggest expense will rent of course, but transportation by taxis is very expensive too so stay away from them. Rental cars can be cheap (around25 a day, but insurance will be another20 to25 if you don't have any insurance that would cover you), so if you have to rent a car that can be your whole daily budget. Gas I think is around2.25 a gallon. Food, if you eat fast food (hamburger, fries, and coke) will cost your around5. Chinese or mexican takeout about10 or even less. The mexican food is very good in LA, if you like Mexican. Clubs entrance fees can be from10 to25 depending where you go. I think2300 per month is very do able, but you need to watch you transportation.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Spending In Newport

by RovingWyvern Online Now Mar 28, 2005 at 8:24 PM

If you want CHEAP food, I can guide you to Asian places where you get 3 sandwiches for 3 USD. But Newport Beach is kinda far from Westminster.

• RE: Spending In Newport

by joesorce Online Now Mar 28, 2005 at 10:35 PM

I think your budget is more than enough based on what you list as your routine.

• dznguy's Profile Photo

RE: Spending In Newport

by dznguy Online Now Jun 20, 2006 at 3:30 PM

Might be difficult to find a cheap place that will rent out to you for 3 months. It depends on what time of the year as well. Getting around would be expensive as well since you'll probably need a car (public transportation system is not the best in SoCal). Gas average has jumped up to about3.25/gal. For cheap eats, hit up happy hour. OC has a lot of good affordable places to eat that are affordable ($5-7/entree). If you watch your budget, you can live on15-20/day for food, especially if you do some of the cooking yourself. Anyway, your budget will probably work, you just need to watch what you spend.

orangecounty.craigslist.com/...
    http://www.ocweekly.com/food/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines