Newport Travel Answers

change location
iam1wthee's Profile Photo

driving from nyc to newport

by iam1wthee Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 1:54 AM

Thinking about driving from nyc to newport rhode island. Mapquest said it takes 3 hours but the time estimate it gives is always a few hours off. Has anyone ever driven from these two places? How long did it really take? What route did you take? Did you take I95 straight up or do you know a shortcut?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: driving from nyc to newport

by zuriga Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 2:54 AM

If you stick to I95, the drive is about 3-4 hours depending on traffic. I did that drive several times and would definitely suggest getting off the highway to see Mystic, CT which is a lovely town with a recreated whaling village.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hellojnewman's Profile Photo

by hellojnewman Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 9:02 AM

3-4 hours is about correct with a minimum amount of traffic. If you get caught in Connecticut traffic it can be signifcantly more. If possible avoid Friday rush hour traffic during the Summer months. You can take Exit 92 in CT. to the Westerly Bypass to get to RT 1 north, follow to 138 towards Jamestown/Newport. Or for a more scenic route you can take RT138(exit 3A in RI)and follow RT 138 into Newport.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Online Now Apr 7, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Just back yesterday from this drive. 3.5 and up is the time estimate.

I recommend doing the exit 3 in RI to 138 all the way into Newport as the best bet. Sadly the train from Kingston is a50 cab ride each way but that would be a good idea if money wasnt as much of an issue.

The drive isnt bad but you will run into traffic all along the way. So just plan some extra time and if it is faster the better for you.

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

by iam1wthee Online Now Apr 20, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Thanks to all that have replied. I am going to try to go during the wee mourning hours to avoid traffic as much as possible.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

by Pawtuxet Online Now May 6, 2008 at 4:15 AM

My son & wife as well as my husband and I have driven it many, many times. son lives in NJ. He always makes great time but drives like a race car driver. He does it in 3 hrs. unless traffic is a problem. Sometimes uses the Tappanzee in order to avoid the GW bridge in traffic. We like the Merritt Pkwy which is more pleasant on the NY end. Driving through Long Island and taking the ferry would ordinarily be slower, but in wee hours... might be more pleasant. Love that ferry into Connecticut. There are many pretty towns along your way...Mystic is only one of them, but the most touristy. If you are driving in early hours w/o holiday and business hours and Friday "getaway" traffic, you should be able to do it in about 3.5 hrs. You'll love Newport when you get there. ck. my Newport page for ideas.
    Have fun!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines