Newport Travel Answers

change location
KastleKonfusion's Profile Photo

Is The Incredible Deconstructing Clock Demolished?!

by KastleKonfusion Online Now Aug 6, 2006 at 2:10 PM

I'm planning a 2 weeks vacation in UK.

I read with great interest from M0B1US's Newport Travel Guide about the "In the Nick of Time" kinetic clock at John Frost Square and I started looking online for more info about this clock. (members.virtualtourist.com/m...

Along with some interesting write up about the clock, I chanced upon a pdf "Planning Application Schedule" dated 17 May 2006 mentioning the removal of this clock as part of the redevelopment of John Frost Square. (newport.gov.uk/stellent/grou... I couldnt quite believe what I read.

It didnt help when I chanced yet upon Page 5 of "Newport Matters - the official newspaper of Newport City Council" (newport.gov.uk/stellent/grou...

"The iconic new bridge structure is in place, highways
improvements are underway and one of the city centre’s
worst eyesores has reduced to rubble."

So is it true that The Incredible Deconstrucing Clock is removed? I was planning to see this clock after M0B1US's interesting writeup. And from there, I was intending to walk uphill to the St Woolos Cathedral. If there are so much construction going on, I'll give Newport a pass.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

RE: Is The Incredible Deconstructing Clock Demolished?!

by aaaarrgh Online Now Aug 6, 2006 at 5:17 PM

So how much did M0B1US pay you for this praise? *grin*

It will be a shame if the deconstructing clock and the Chartist Mural are destroyed! The internet blurb says work will not start till "early 2007".

Unfortunately, many UK cities prefer to hand over maintainance of their city centres to private shopping centres and developers. These developers do not want to spend money looking after expensive bits of kit (neither do city councils, for that matter).

Maybe you should email Newport City Council to complain about their plans.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • doofus's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Is The Incredible Deconstructing Clock Demolished?!

by doofus Online Now Aug 7, 2006 at 1:28 AM

Newport for me is a complete dump. A city that cannot make up it's mind whether it is in the 60's, 70's 80's etc. AS disgusting bus station smelling of urine. Chewing gum stains everwhere around the town. The railway station is no better either.

Might be OK to get off the train and have a look at the Square etc then a small stroll up to the church and then a quick walk back to the station to get the next train out to Cardiff. Cardiff leaves Newport standing. Newport council certainly need to get their act together.

• KastleKonfusion's Profile Photo

by KastleKonfusion Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 10:19 AM

Hi aaaarrgh, you've some very fantastic travelogues on VT! *grinz* We'll be driving up to visit a friend in Derbyshire. Your Blue John Mine tip has prompted me to look up more info online and added that to our yahoo trip planner! Thanks!

About the kinetic clock, we've sent an email to peterm.williams@newport.gov.uk and info@newport.gov.uk enquiring about the status (07Aug06) and have yet receive a reply. Are we writing to the wrong people?

Karan

Ban chewing gum

by KastleKonfusion Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Hi Doofus,

I think there are places like this everywhere.

In the past, Singapore was very much like this too! Not many understand why our government had to ban chewing gum or impose fines for littering and spitting. Also, the reasons behind the "no food, no drinks" rule on public transport, ie buses, trains, taxis.

Anyhow, thanks for the warning. We won't be taking any public transport as we'd be driving.

Our plan is to visit Newport on the 10th of September for the 14 Locks Canal boat trip. Afterwhich, we will intent to drive to Commercial Street, park at Kingsway Shopping Center to get lunch somewhere and check out the kinetic clock "In the Nick of Time". Afterwhich, a walk up to Stow Hill to visit the St Woolos Cathedral and St Mary's Roman Catholic Church. If there are parking lots at the cathedral, we would prefer to drive up as we will want to visit the Transporter Bridge and the Visitor Center after.

Do we have time to do all these in a day?

Karan

by KastleKonfusion Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM

Hi Gwilym, Thanks for your tips.

I see that you've visited Singapore back in 2003. Planning another trip here? If you are, do visit around the 3rd Sunday of the month so you could join us for a walk with our brisk walking club.

Anyway, I'm starting a new thread about the Transporter Bridge. Hope you can contribute some tips.

Karan :)

• doofus's Profile Photo

by doofus Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Kingsway Shopping Centre is a brillaint example of what I mean about Newport no knowing exactly what decade or century it is in. Basically the shopping centre is a dump. How you are going to find a decent place for lunch is beyond me. Probably the Wetherspoons Pub on the corner is as good as any.

If you use the Kingsway Car Park you'd better hold a handkerchief over your nose. The lifts and starwells smell very strongly of urine. I kid you not.

Whatever you do, DO NOT be in the centre of Newport after dark. It is NOT safe. Drunken yobs who cannot hold their shandies everywhere. Driving then will also be a nightmare as that is when all the idiotic boy racers are about.

Good luck.

RE: Park @ Hill Street; Makan @ Oddverse; Where's St Mary's & St Paul's

by KastleKonfusion Online Now Aug 18, 2006 at 2:41 AM

doofus, I think there are some redevelopments around that area which I've read on the Newport City Council page. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of shopping centers. We prefer to visit something uniquely of that place, ie The Transporter Bridge, The Kinetic Clock, 14 Locks, etc. :)

aaaarrgh Sean, some write up about the cafe @ St Paul! Shame that it's not opened on Sundays as that's when we intend to visit. Which is St Paul on this map? (newport.gov.uk/xpedio/groups...

Gwilym, read your review "Oddverse: Cool Cafes - Chilled out hippyesque space" and checked out the url for the website. I think that page does not exist anymore as I got the index page of South Wales Argus - latest Gwent News - Roof collapses at McDonalds; Murder charges; View of Kingsway shopping centre which collapsed yesterday. :S

Alrighty, another car park then *looks at map* (newport.gov.uk/xpedio/groups... inbetween Hill St. and Park Sq then.

Say, there are quite a few church icons marked on the map. Which is St Mary's Roman Catholic Church and St Paul's?

Karan ~:)

by aaaarrgh Online Now Aug 19, 2006 at 2:26 AM

For some reason St Peters is not marked. It is near the 'P' symbol on Commercial Street, I think. Don't go out of your way to visit it if the cafe is closed.

Your itinerary sounds very 'do-able' for one day. The Transport Bridge and the Cathedral are must-do's, of course! There is some merits to visiting the Museum, next to the Clock, with Newport history and an interesting teapot collection. But if you have a car your spare time might be better spent visiting Caerleon.

What doofus says has some truth. Well, a lot of truth! Newport's dreadful shopping precincts could do with a makeover. And it is divided from the Castle, Arts centre and River Usk by an awful ring-road system. But they would be just plain daft to destroy their unusual clock. Let's hope they replace the Chartist mural with something equally impressive - mosaics are horribly difficult to reconstruct, like a 20,000 piece jigsaw puzzle :-)

by aaaarrgh Online Now Aug 19, 2006 at 2:28 AM

Oooops, i meant to say St Paul's, not St Peter's

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines