Newcastle upon Tyne

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Transit Visa

Heathrow 3 hours ago

This is in continuation to my earlier question answered by you. My airlines says that I need to check in the baggage again(though I will be having hand baggage only).
      So the facts are that
      1. I am Indian citizen having a valid canada visa
      2. will need to change terminals 2 to 4 for taking the connecting air canada flight. (Air india and air canada flight tickets booked on same ticket with a time gap of 3 hrs)
      3. Airlines say that I need to check in the baggage again (though I will be having hand baggage only).

So what do you suggest should I get the transit visa and which type

more
    • transit visa

Heathrow 3 hours ago

I am an Indian Citizen. I shall be travelling to Canada. My Flight AI115 shall arrive at London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4at 11:55 hours on 30th Aug,2015. Then the flight AI7309 departs at 15:00 hours same day after a gap of just 3 hours from terminal 2.
      I have a valid visa for canada. Please let me know whether I need a transit visa for UK? If yes, then what type? I aso have following queries: while changing the terminals in heathrow ie from terminal 2 to 4 will i be leaving the airport, will i be aiside or landside and will i be crossing uk border.

more
    • Brittany Ferry to St Malo, France/Loire Valley Chateaus

Portsmouth Jul 15, 2015 at 1:05 PM

would like to take ferry from Portsmouth to St. Malo - to see Mont St Michel and chateaus in Loire Valley. Going in October - 3 adults with suitcases, no cars. Arrival is on a Sunday - what is the best way to get around once we arrive in "Bretagne" (St. Malo)?
      thanks

more
    • Kew Explorer

Kew Gardens Jul 8, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Do we have to board the Kew Explorer at Victoria Gate? We will arrive at Elizabeth Gate and would like to board near there first.

more
    • Transit from Heathrow while flying from Dublin to Delhi

Heathrow Jul 3, 2015 at 2:13 AM

Hi, 

I want to travel from Dublin to Delhi by British Airways. I am an Indian passport holder currently in Ireland on Work Permit. I have Irish GNIB card. I need to Change terminal from T5 to T2 for connecting flight. Do I need transit visa in this case?

Thanks !!

Regards, Nitesh

more
    • Transit on a South African Passport

Heathrow Jul 1, 2015 at 3:25 AM

My client is traveling from South African to Canada via Heathrow. They will be changing terminals during this flight. Will they require a transit via or any other type of visa

more
    • Early morning bus or train to Stansted?

London Yesterday

I need a bus or train on early morning (4 am) to go on Stansted and take a flight on 6:30am from Great Dover Street or Waterloo Station.

How difficult can it be? I'm checking all coaches/bus sites and find nothing.

more
    • transit visa

Heathrow Yesterday

I am an Indian Citizen. I shall be travelling to Canada. My Flight AI115 shall arrive at London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4at 11:55 hours on 30th Aug,2015. Then the flight AI7309 departs at 15:00 hours same day after a gap of just 3 hours from terminal 2.
      Please let me know whether I need a transit visa for UK? If yes, then what type?

more
    • Harwich, England to Edinburgh, Scotland

Harwich Jul 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Any information on train that goes from Harwich to
      Cambridge to Peterborough to Edinburgh?

more
    • maryttbloomer's Profile Photo

Finchale Priory

England Jul 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM

i'm visiting Durham next month and have heard about this place
      how do we get from durham to it can i walk to it and is there any facilities there ie cafes bars restaurants

more
    • Astyanax's Profile Photo

Seating at The Globe

London Jul 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM

My wife and I enjoyed our tour last year of The Globe theatre and would like to return for a performance. As I recall the benches in the theatre were uncomfortable. The Shakespeare's Globe web site makes it appear that the only seating is on benches. My wife has a bad back and could not sit there for long. Are there any comfortable seats in the Globe?

more
    • Broadstairs to St Peters walk?

Broadstairs Jul 27, 2015 at 3:27 AM

Hi, I am visiting Broadstairs next week, and intend to alight the train at Ramsgate and walk the costal route to Broadstairs to try a few pubs. Is there a scenic route to the village of St Peters from Broadstairs to visit the Yard of Ale pub in St Peters, which recently won the local CAMRA pub of the year? BW, Nick

more
    • Lowest fares from London to Asia - Which months?

London Jul 25, 2015 at 11:46 PM

This question may have been asked hundreds of times before, but I want to know how to get the lowest priced air tickets to India, Sri Lana and other countries in that part of Asia.

more
    • Time to get thru customs

Heathrow Jul 20, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Does anyone know approximate time it takes to get through customs on a Sun. morning in August in Terminal 2?

more
    • 11 hour layover

Heathrow Jul 4, 2015 at 2:07 AM

Hi , i am traveling from ottawa canada to beirut . i arrive at T2 and my next flight is at T3 , my layover is around 11.5 hours and i wanted to know if i need to check out my bags and recheck them in for my next flight, and are there any lounges where i can sleep at ?

more
    • Transport passes in Edinburgh and London

London Jul 1, 2015 at 2:36 AM

I understand that the oyster card will cover London major transport system such as buses, trains. Can it be used in Edinburgh too and if not any transport passes that can cover both Edinburgh and London? If there isn't, what is the best transport pass to purchase for Edinburgh given i am staying in Edinburgh for 5 days? I think i will travel both train and bus there.

Thank you in advance!! :)

more
    • The Shard restaurants?

London Jul 23, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Going to London in December,planning to go to one of Shard´s restaurants.
      How would you recommend and which,depending on time of the year and day(to see sunset and town in lights),busy days(weekend)-all of that for best chance to get window sitting table.
      Or is it Another Tourist trap?

more
    • Sandemans New London Free Tours

London Jul 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM

I was perusing the London site and came across Sandemans New London free walking tours one of which is the Old City Tour. It meets at the corner of Covent Garden Plazza by the Apple Store Does anyone recommend this tour? If so, can I take the tube from Heathrow Airport to the meeting location? Does anyone suggest buying the oyster pass? Once at the Plazza will there be plenty of points of interest within walking distance or will I need to take public transportation to visit places which if it's the case then I should. consider the pass, correct?

more
    • Travel to dartmoor

Dartmoor National Park Jul 12, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Excited for my first trip to Dartmoor. What is the best route from London to Bovey Tracey

more
    • StephanieW7's Profile Photo

Windsor, Bath and Cotswolds as 2 day trips??

London Jul 6, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Hello all! I have 2 days that I am trying to plan but I am lost on the how to's and if it can be done. Idealy on day one I would like to do Windsor and then go back to the hotel in london. Then on the second day train to bath see the roman baths, the jane austin centre and the circus (we have been to bath once before and are going with newbies - this is all the are interested in) then going out to the cotswolds to see Castle Combe and Bibury and that direction. We only want to see a few towns (2 or 3) before heading back to bath for dinner, then train back to London. I also thought that we could do windsor and cotswolds by rental car on day one. Stay the night someplace in that area and then on to bath the next day spending the day looking/shopping and heading back to london that night. What would be the best option?? I am uneasy about driving on the other side of the road so would option 2 not be a good idea or is it not a big deal? Thanks!! 

**UPDATE** I know this is a lot in the amount of time we have but we just want an overview

more
    • Connection time between Terminals 3 and 5 at LHR.

London Jul 26, 2015 at 4:45 PM

I will be arriving at LHR's Terminal 5 at 1830 from Paris CDG (hopefully on time!). I then depart on QF2 at 2035 from Terminal 3. Is the 2 hours enough time to get to T3?

more
    • Brittany Ferry to Saint Malo, France

Southampton Jul 15, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Has anyone taken the Brittany Ferry from Southhampton to Saint Malo? Planning to take in early Oct to see Mont Saint Michel and also Loire Valley before heading into Paris. Three adults travelling with luggage and no car..

more
    • Plymouth, England

Plymouth Jul 5, 2015 at 4:09 AM

Hi there - 1) pls advise best way to travel from Heathrow airport to Plymouth (near Plymouth uni). 2) my son n I have about 10days to spare, what are the places we can go for shopping n sightseeing not so far off Plymouth 3) should we rent a car to move around? Looking forward to receive suggestions. Thank you in advance, Hellen

more
    • Surprising Boyfriend

Heathrow Jul 27, 2015 at 4:54 AM

Hey everyone,

My boyfriend is flying in from Australia and landing in Heathrow at 6am on Wednesday and then flying to Amsterdam at 3pm that afternoon. I'm flying into Heathrow tomorrow night and sleeping in arrivals so I can surprise him when he lands. I am now worried that he won't need to go through customs and go through arrivals. The second flight to Amsterdam isn't on the same ticket as his original flight so does it count as a connecting flight? Or will he have to go out through customs before he catches his next flight?

Cheers, Monique :-)

more
    • Turska's Profile Photo

Kensington area

London Yesterday

We have booked a hotel near Kensington Olympia, since we are attending a happening at there. Now I have noticed that it might be expensive area to eat out at night, or visit some pubs Is it so? I´m not so pleased to our hotel, that I could easily change it, if I find something at reasonable price and with not too many changes of underground when attending to Olympia. There´s 3 weeks to go, so I´d rather decide soon.

more
    • AGE FOR CLUBS NEWCASTLE

by SarahD54 Online Now May 27, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Hi, i will be traveling to newcastle in a few weeks time, just wondering the age limit of most of the clubs as i have 2 18 yr olds with me

6 Answers May 27, 2015 at 11:20 PM
    • Wheelchair access

by Schmatta Online Now May 17, 2015 at 4:31 AM

Hi, I'm off for a stag weekend in the next few days. Does anyone know which clubs and bars are wheelchair friendly/accessible and that have disabled toilets to hand? Any response is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

4 Answers May 27, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    • g.l.s.h's Profile Photo

UK train low cost tickets London-Newcastle

by g.l.s.h Online Now Sep 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Good day!

During my visit to London this Dec. I intend to travel for 2 days to Newcastle. I've noticed that when booked in advance, train tickets can go as low as 16 pounds one way. The reservation system allows bookings for some 2.5 month in advance, which means that 8-9 Dec. bookings can be booked as for yesterday.

My question is for those whom are familial with these tickets: when I search dates (Mondays, always) in Nov. or even Dec. 1st I can see these 16-28 pounds tickets available, however for Dec. 8-9 ALL tickets go for 120-150 pounds! which is a fortune when having a small family, and in comparison to domestic flights that go for 45-55 pounds (and which I want to avoid). Are these dates have any "special" demand for train tickets to Newcastle, or is it that the system starts publishing the special "book in advance" fares only a bit later?

I would wait a bit for the low cost option, but if be advised that these dates would most likely be stable on the 120-150 pounds tickets, I would just take the flight option.

Thanks!

3 Answers Sep 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    • Im going to Newcastle for my birthday!

by Seans123 Online Now Jul 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Right, i turn 21 in February (a long time away i know!) but im thinking of going to newcastle all the clubs that would of been on 'geordie shore' those kinds of places.. the only problem is, is that i've never been to newcastle before and i havent got a clue where abouts those clubs are or any other good ones OR were abouts to stay!! somewhere cheap! haha ...Help please?! x

4 Answers Jul 29, 2014 at 2:24 AM
    • Packing for Northumberland in May

by nannatravelling Online Now Mar 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Hi, I'm visiting Northumberland in May and would like some advice on what to pack. will be visiting the Farne Islands and doing some bird and wildlife watching as well as walks on the coast. Thanks

12 Answers Apr 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    • ATLC's Profile Photo

Your favourite museum and place to have a (pub) lunch?

by ATLC Online Now Feb 11, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Hello! I am in the Toon for a few hours next week and wondered if any of you can point me to a favourite museum and some good Newcastle grub. What's the speciality?

13 Answers Feb 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    • MatsF3's Profile Photo

Please read.

by MatsF3 Online Now Jan 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Please all of you Newcastle members. We really need your help!!!

-1 Answer Jan 4, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    • over 30's on a thursday

by daz_ford Online Now Nov 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

whats the best bar/club for the over 30's in Newcastle on a Thursday

3 Answers Nov 10, 2013 at 3:30 AM
    • Hello moving to newcastle (:

by lenasof Online Now Sep 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I am thinking in moving to Newcastle in June and I would like to know if is a safe city and if is hard to make friends. I would be working and studying .
      Thank you for your answers .

4 Answers Sep 29, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    • My novice and I are looking for area to live

by dmonera Online Now Sep 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Hello! My novice and I are thinking in move to UK, especifically to Newcastle. We are spanish and we are going to look for a job and a new life. We are looking to share room but we don´t know what could be the best areas to look, because we need this are will be cheap more or less (of course we don´t want to live with yonkis, etc), and it should be near (20 minute walking more or less) to some commercial area because we need to find job and it could be easy in thins kind of area. Someone can help us??? Thank you very much!!!

4 Answers Sep 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM
    • Italian Restaurant

by karenmac Online Now Sep 4, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I am looking for an Italian restaurant near Newcastle University

1 Answer Sep 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM
    • URGENT!

by doganswersnow Online Now Jul 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Hi I am moving to Newcastle upon Tyne and NEED to find a place where I can live with my dog. She's a 40 pound border collie, very well behaved. Any ideas would be SO WONDERFUL! Thanks!

4 Answers Oct 6, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    • old photos jones fried fish shop

by Clemwelsh Online Now Jul 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Heritage magazine which has photos of Jones fried fish shop 1835 - 1934

6 Answers Jul 13, 2013 at 4:25 AM
    • Anyone want to explore Newcastle this weekend 5th - 7th july.

by jazzalova Online Now Jul 3, 2013 at 5:34 AM

I'm visiting and looking for people to explore newcastle the following weekend. perhaps get in touch on email - jazzalova@hotmail.com
      cheers
      sara

1 Answer Jul 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    • Study abroad

by rosdizam Online Now Jun 4, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Hello guys...
      I'm from Malaysia and will do my PHD at Newcastle on April 2014. My problem is that besides paying the tuition fee my scholar will only provide me GBP 800 per month as my monthly allowance. I am married and have 2 sons ( 4 & 2). Is that possible to bring along my family? With only GBP 800, can we live there? Help please...
      Thank you....

10 Answers Jun 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    • Fun place to stay for young female backpacker?

by ajcri Online Now May 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Hi I'm 22 and from Australia. I am looking for a really fun hostel to stay where heaps of backpackers go. Preferably near clubs and the city centre? Thanks guys!!!

4 Answers May 27, 2013 at 4:43 AM
    • hmb10's Profile Photo

SIGHTSEEING OPTIONS 1.5DAYS JULY

by hmb10 Online Now May 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Hi ! We are two active 60 yo..we will be walking Hadrians Wall Path, after spending time in Newcastle,before catching public transport to our start in Whitley Bay. May we have some suggestions for Must See,visit ,explore places...reachable by public transport? Also,is it better to catch train to Whitley Bay, or is the bus service better?We will be staying in the Jesmond park area. Thanks for all suggestions

5 Answers May 22, 2013 at 4:15 AM
    • tourism_student92's Profile Photo

Are you a literary tourist?

by tourism_student92 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Has anybody ever traveled to the North East of England for a literary tour? Or read any Catherine Cookson novels and traveled to or wanted to travel to some of the places set in her work or related to her as an author?

17 Answers Apr 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    • hmb10's Profile Photo

newcastle airport to adelphi bed&breakfast jesmond

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Hi! Would appreciate public transport options to reach The Adephi B&B in Jesmond...or nearest train,bus stop. we will be arriving into Newcastle airport 8.30 am. Would also appreciate an aproximation of time for the trip. Thanks for your advice

3 Answers Mar 25, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    • Celebrating ,my birthday with the Ladies

by CherryKai Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hey Fellow Tourists!
      I've just moved to the UK (midlands) from Canada, and am looking for a great night out with the ladies. Have heard that New Castle is the place to go. (ages 24-28)
      We are planning on spending a weekend in April in New Castle and were hoping for some recommendations of the best pubs, bars and clubs to head to.
      Friday night not too heavy and Saturday night planning a full day of partying, and would love some advice.

5 Answers Mar 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    • Newcastle fan

by Franncis Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Anyone keen in joining me to go to Newcastle from London, and watch the match on 13 Apr?

5 Answers Mar 9, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    • Where to stay?

by lmarinel Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM

What is the best area to stay in? We are arriving by train and it would be great to know the best area to stay within walking distance to some great sites. Thanks!

4 Answers Mar 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    • Where to go in newcastle

by Smoggy74 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Hi we recently moved back to the north east and I'm looking for places to take the wife in Newcastle I'm 38 and she's 37 she's into clubbing and I've never been before please can anyone give me some suggestion ?

1 Answer Feb 9, 2013 at 3:43 AM
    • SpyrosZ's Profile Photo

Most central part of Newcastle

by SpyrosZ Online Now Oct 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Hey guys i was wondering what is the most central part of Newcastle (with the most pubs,live music clubs etc) and how much the rent goes for there? On a side note, is it a nice place to live for a couple of years as a University student?

7 Answers Oct 17, 2012 at 4:15 AM
    • newcastle in the summer

by landcruiser123 Online Now Jul 18, 2012 at 2:54 AM

hi, we are thinking about going to newcastle this august.
      do you guys think this is a good idea or is everybody off town because of the summer break and its gonna be boring?

12 Answers Jul 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    • Moving to Newcastle for school/work

by jen_m78 Online Now Jun 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Hello!

My fiancee and I will be moving to Newcastle Upon Tyne in August. We currently live in the San Jose area of California (silicon valley.) I'm moving to attend Newcastle Uni and he will be joining me and transfering his job. We have never been to the UK before and have so many questions! Here is what we really need to know:

1) City Centre or Quayside? Which is better for the under 25 crowd? Pros? Cons? Pricing isn't a huge factor since we are coming from such an expensive city in Ca.

2) Mobile phones: we have tmobile currently and are considering going with Tmobile UK upon arrival. Good idea?

3) Dog: we are bringing our 4yr old dog with us. Is Newcastle (generally) a pet friendly city?

4) Rental (or letting) policies: what is generally required to let a flat or home in England? We will have a deposit prepared but are there specific documents required?

5) Culture: I am a biracial young woman (Italian/Black American.) Are there many types of people in Newcastle or will we be looked down upon?) We come from such a diverse city, I want to know what to expect!

6) Banks: Which bank(s) are best for temporary accounts? We will be in Newcastle for 1-1.5yrs

7) weather: we know it's cold and rainy usually....right?! Does it ever get hot or snow?

8) Driving: I am terrified of driving on the opposite side of the street! Will I need a new/different drivers license to drive in the UK? Or since I have a valid Ca license, will that work?

Anything else that you would like to share would be so helpful to us! We appreciate your help! Looking forward to our journey!

13 Answers May 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    • Karting or activities to do

by MHA13574 Online Now Jan 26, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Hi, I am currently arranging a stag weekend & have chosen to come to Newcastle. I am aware of the excellent bars & clubs but have no idea what to do during the day...

Can you recommend Karting or quadbiking or anything similiar???? (names of companies please)

Thanks

• US Family Moving from Surrey County to Newcastle upon Tyne

by leebear Online Now Feb 4, 2011 at 9:24 AM

My husband is considering a job in the Newcastle area. We have a 5 year old and need to know good areas to begin our housing search (we will be renting at first) and which schools to look into. Also, is there an US expat group that I can contact there? There is a Women's American group in Surrey, I didn't know if a resource like this meets in Newcastle. Very excited about the possible move. We have heard amazing things about the area.

Thanks for the tips!

38 Answers Aug 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    • Hotels to avoid

by gwyneddman Online Now Jan 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I am considering staying in Newcastle later this year. Are there any hotels in the city centre of Newcastle which should be avoided because they are so bad. I have come across a hotel called Whites which has generally received dreadful reviews. Are there any other really bad hotels around the centre of Newcastle.

7 Answers Jan 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    • Accommodation

by celtic10 Online Now Oct 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Hi Heading to Newcastle upon Tyne early November for a few days, can anyone recommend cheap and clean accommodation, doesn't need to be fancy just a bed as hope to get out and about to see thing, and any ideas on what to make sure to see.
      Cheers

3 Answers Oct 25, 2010 at 1:23 AM