Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Answers

change location

cost of living for a student

by drabhijitkulk Online Now Jan 26, 2007 at 4:45 AM

i will be visiting Newcastle as clinical observer in the NHS hospital and will be staying for about 4 months. Hospital has ensured me accomodation in hospital campus.

if i choose to stay in the city, what would be approximatate living cost per month ( being a student will be eating home made)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • geordieontour's Profile Photo

RE: cost of living for a student

by geordieontour Online Now Jan 27, 2007 at 8:01 AM

depends what you want, you can live very cheaply if sticking to the many low cost supermarkets in the area and use the markets for fresh produce, the cost for students goes up if you start hitting the many varied night life, hospital campus the close to the city centre so you may be drawn to the night life otherwise stick to the student cafes etc. If your accommadation is paid and you are cooking at home budget £10- £15 per day if you want to sample the night life budget £30 to £60 per night depending on what bard you visit

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: cost of living for a student

by nettyfitz Online Now Feb 8, 2007 at 12:22 PM

If you shop in the Grainger Market in Newcastle, it will not cost you very much to cook your own food. There is also a new cheap supermarket in the Newgate Shopping Centre. However, you will probably be entitled to staff rates at the hospital restaurant and the prices are very good. It is expensive to go out at night in Newcastle, especially if you like to have a few drinks.

If you decide to rent a room in Newcastle instead of going into hospital accommodation, expect to pay about £70 + per week for a room in a house with shared kitchen, bathroom, etc. Hospital accommodation will be cheaper.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines