Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Answers

change location

Celebrating ,my birthday with the Ladies

by CherryKai Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hey Fellow Tourists!
I've just moved to the UK (midlands) from Canada, and am looking for a great night out with the ladies. Have heard that New Castle is the place to go. (ages 24-28)
We are planning on spending a weekend in April in New Castle and were hoping for some recommendations of the best pubs, bars and clubs to head to.
Friday night not too heavy and Saturday night planning a full day of partying, and would love some advice.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

Re: Celebrating ,my birthday with the Ladies

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM

You're right to pick Newcastle (all one word by the way) as it's definitely a party city, especially at weekends. Sadly my days of clubbing are behind me, but I still enjoy a night out in the Toon, as locals call it.

From what I've seen lately, the previous high-tempo party areas of the Bigg Market and the Quayside have been somewhat supplanted by the bars in and near the Gate entertainment complex - check out their website, http://www.thegatenewcastle.co.uk/, for ideas.

But the Quayside and especially the area near the bottom of the street called the Side are also popular, and this could be a good place to head for your lower-key Friday night. There are loads of good restaurants as well as pubs and bars. Depending on your numbers you would probably be advised to book if you want to be sure of getting into your chosen restaurant. Have a look here newcastlegateshead.com/food-... for some ideas. If you like Italian I can recommend Caffe Vivo by the way.

During the day on Saturday you might want to try some retail therapy in the centre of town or at the nearby Metro Centre (there's a shuttle bus from Newcastle - see here metrocentre.uk.com/Customer-.... Or if you're in a position to splurge, book your stay at the Malmaison which has a spa! Alternatively, if the weather's good, you could simply take the Metro train to the seaside at Tynemouth or Whitley Bay.

Have fun!

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM

If you want some recommendations for restaurants, pubs etc., I'd check at www.chowhound.com (UK section). The people are there are usually very helpful although they are far more likely to know about London most of the time. I'm sure some live near Newcastle. I remember there being some nice places down near the Quay area.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Celebrating ,my birthday with the Ladies

by vtTom Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM

• geordieontour's Profile Photo

by geordieontour Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 5:17 AM

hi follow the advice from toonsarah above but remember wrap up well today we are in freezing conditions and have known these conditions in April, or do as the locals tee shirts and short dresses, me today first time ever putting gloves on to hit the toon!!! this afternoon

• tourism_student92's Profile Photo

by tourism_student92 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM

First of all its Newcastle, just to give you a heads up!

I like to go to Gothem Town (viewnewcastle.co.uk/pubsandb... because its cheap, Perdu (http://www.perdubar.com/) is good and then Digital (yourfutureisdigital.com/newc... is a huge nightclub and definitely worth a visit.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines