Newcastle Travel Answers

change location

Looking to start new life in Newcastle with 2 sons

by Miriambyrne Online Now Nov 15, 2010 at 2:20 AM

I've read some really positive stuff about Newcastle and would love to start a new life there with my 9 and 8 year old sons. Their dad died a couple if years back and we want to move to a brighter climate as we love the outdoors. We currently live in Dublin, Ireland and the winters are dreary! Any advice on good family oriented areas to initially rent with a view to buying greatly appreciated. Any advice from anyone else who has kids in schools in Newcastle ar
Rea

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • originalribenababy's Profile Photo

Re: Looking to start new life in Newcastle with 2 sons

by originalribenababy Online Now Nov 15, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Hi Miriambyrne,

Do you mean Newcastle in England or Newcastle in Northern Ireland or Newcastle elsewhere?

I used to live near Newcastle England and now live in Northern Ireland....wouldn't say the weather was much of an improvement. We got a LOT of snow where I used to live so the winters seemed quite long, but it was great for us as kids (days off school to go sledging was brilliant!).

Might need to clarify which Newcastle, there are a few of them :)

Laura

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • originalribenababy's Profile Photo

by originalribenababy Online Now Nov 15, 2010 at 3:45 AM

Just seen you are in the NSW forum....now I feel silly lol

Newcastle down under would be much much nicer than Newcastle up north, and if the people are just as good you'll get on fine am sure :)

Laura

• chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now Nov 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Maybe you could also give us some idea of what sort of work you want to do and what interests you have. That will help people suggest areas in and around Newcastle also there may be other places we could recommend.

• stedeb's Profile Photo

by stedeb Online Now Dec 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I dont live in Newcastle or have children attending school however my son and his partner live there and I recently made the trip over to visit so I will tell you my thoughts on Newcastle. I was very impressed they have gorgeous beaches almost as good as we have here in Perth with lots of walking paths along the beach there are plenty of good shopping centres with a new one recently opened lots of nice place to eat and they doing a lovely development along the harbour foreshore lots of apartments shops bars and restaurants. Without a doubt there are still parts of Newcastle that are run down a legacy of when it was a thriving industrial coal mining area but with the new development taking place I was very impressed. Lonely Planet has listed it as one of it's top 10 cities to visit in 2011 that has to be good. it is also a easy drive to Hunter Valley the wine region a lovely place to visit wineries speciality shops that sell delicious cheeses, chocolates, preserves etc. The weather is definitely better than Dublins and if he boys enjoy the outdoors they will enjoy Aus wherever you choose. Good luck

• thegirlfromnewy's Profile Photo

by thegirlfromnewy Online Now Dec 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Hi there

Newy (as we locals refer to it) is a beautiful place. Great beaches and schools. Summers are hot and winters are mild. www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au are good places to start to give you an idea of rent prices. let me know if you have any questions on varies suburbs of newcastle.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines