Newcastle Travel Answers

change location

MOVING TO NEWCASTLE **** I NEED YOUR ADVICE

by vegvaryvegvary Online Now Aug 16, 2006 at 10:44 PM

I am living in NZ and am moving to Newcastle QLD on 03 December 2006. My aim is to go there by myself and get full-time work. At that stage my aussie hubby and 2 re schoolers will move over. I need work in customer service/call centre work/reception etc. Location is a must for work as initally we wont have transport. The location I would like would be near town and near a day care centre but need to take into account housing. We will be renting so dont want to pay anymore than220 weekly for a 2-3 bedroom house. Any ideas or hints for moving. what area are the best to live and the safest? What's the best way to find work? email me pleassssssssssssseeeeeee on jackiecarey@xtra.co.nz

Thanks heaps guys!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • FleurFox's Profile Photo

RE: MOVING TO NEWCASTLE **** I NEED YOUR ADVICE

by FleurFox Online Now Aug 16, 2006 at 11:16 PM

Hi there.
    My advice is to look at the website whereis.com which has maps of Australia.
    I think you will find that Newcastle is in New South Wales and nowhere near QLD.
    Work wise, the website www.seek.com.au is a great resource for online job hunting.

I think that if you want to move to Queensland, you need to pick another town to move to :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 5:40 AM

Agreed, I only know Newcastle in NSW, I haven't heard of one in Qld. It's not big, but it's Australia's sixth largest city.

Finding a job is the same as anywhere - you can check out the job websites, the newspaper classified ads online, and of course check the papers when you arrive and also go into employment agencies.

For rents you can check www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

by iandsmith Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 2:45 PM

We'll start off by assuming that you mean Newcastle N.S.W., otherwise you could be lost in outback Queensland.
    If that's the case then it's actually the 8th largest town in Australia (we slipped Col, Surfers and, can you believe it, Canberra got us). Transport's not such a major drama as you're never really that far from anywhere else. There's a lot of day care centres so you shouldn't have much trouble there either.
    I would suggest a couple of suburbs as being reasonable for your needs. Adamstown, Highfields, Broadmeadow and Hamilton are all handy suburbs but there are many others (too numerous to list here) that you might consider.
    When you get into town and settled, feel free to contact me for a cuppa, always assuming I'm not away in my motorhome of course.
    Cheers, Ian

• RE: MOVING TO NEWCASTLE **** I NEED YOUR ADVICE

by vegvaryvegvary Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 6:07 PM

Hi guys, soory I did mean NSW. Was in a rush when I was typing it and looking at a map at the time. Love to hear more replies :)

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

RE: RE: MOVING TO NEWCASTLE **** I NEED YOUR ADVICE

by colin_bramso Online Now Aug 18, 2006 at 12:43 AM

I missed that Ian, slipping down the league table! It doesn't vhange the place though does it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines