Newcastle Travel Answers

change location
kumar77's Profile Photo

Driving Directions

by kumar77 Online Now May 16, 2005 at 6:42 AM

Hello People!

I'm planning on a road trip from Newcastle to Sydney. Which is the fastest route? Will there be any scenic spots to stopover for a few minutes along the way? How long does it take to drive down to Sydney? Will the weather cause any hindrance to the drive?

Your valuable information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

RE: Driving Directions

by colin_bramso Online Now May 17, 2005 at 1:12 AM

Hi Kumar. The F3 Freeway is the direct route which goes right to the northern suburb of Wahroonga. Turn off there on to the Pacific Highway and that goes all the way to Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by colin_bramso Online Now May 17, 2005 at 1:18 AM

Sorry, your other questions; it takes about two and a half hours from Newcastle to Sydney, as long as you wait until the peak hour is over - thousands of people commute to work in Sydney every day.
    Weather. Rain is the only problem you may find, apart from idiots who crash their cars on the F3 and block it for hours :-(
    When are you travelling? It's been raining for the last three days but tomorrow it's forecast to clear, then be fine and sunny.
    Why not allow most of the day for the journey, then you can stop off in Terrigal for an early lunch overlooking the beach - we have over thirty cafes & restaurants in a small area. Then stop off at peaceful Brooklyn which is maybe an hour from Sydney.

• australianhelen's Profile Photo

by australianhelen Online Now May 17, 2005 at 2:04 AM

I agree with all the above advice. Another nice place to stop on the way is Hardy's Bay. You can have a cafe lunch, or you could have a picnic lunch and walk to to Maitland Bay in Bouddi National Park or Boxhead and see spectacular views to Sydney. A bushwalk is mandatory on any Australian holiday.
    Helen

• aussirose's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Driving Directions

by aussirose Online Now May 19, 2005 at 3:10 AM

G'day Kumar and welcome to vt. Hope you stick around and share your holiday pix with us. Hiya Colin, howz it going matey. And welcome also to Helen. Well Kumar these guys have pretty much covered your questions. Visiting the Central Coast should certainly be on your list.... and Helen, you brought back happy memories for me :o) Hardy's Bay is certainly gorgeous, we loved to do lunch at the little pub in the scrub. Oh and Maitland Bay.... fabulous!! The bush walk down to the bay is lovely there too :o) I remember..... :o) Hey Kumar, have you got a lady friend? She would love the Lavender Patch at Kincumber (I used to live down the road a couple of blocks from there :o) It has all sorts of lovely sweet smelling gifts :o) Have fun here in Oz and both of you, hang around and enjoy vt!! Cheers Colin & catchya round :o) Ann.

• kumar77's Profile Photo

by kumar77 Online Now May 19, 2005 at 5:02 AM

Thanks a great deal for all the info. I'll be in Newcastle for a week and then I'm gonna drive down to Sydney on a Saturday morning. We'll be staying in Sydney for a further 4 days to sightsee the area. We'll be arriving at Newcastle this Sunday. Hope to see u guys and Australia!

by colin_bramso Online Now May 19, 2005 at 11:53 PM

G'day Ann - I hope the big storm over your way was a long way from you :-)

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now May 20, 2005 at 2:54 AM

Have fun Kumar, I know you will :o) But you won't see me unless you come over to Perth. We were ok Colin. I was bit worried about my office the Bankwest tower falling over though.... but we didn't get the winds in Perth and north of Perth like the southern end got. Perthians arn't used to cyclonic weather ;o) Hope all's well on the central coast. Cheers, Ann :o)

by colin_bramso Online Now May 20, 2005 at 2:56 AM

Yes, apart from cold and wet, the CC is fine Ann :-)

• jamie_picken's Profile Photo

by jamie_picken Online Now Jun 3, 2005 at 10:19 PM

I drive to Sydney from newcastle to work everyday, the quickest way is straight down the pacific Highway (F3).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines