Newcastle Travel Answers

change location

Living in Newcastle, Australia

by PaulAldred Online Now Feb 11, 2005 at 6:03 AM

Hi there Me and the family (1 wife, 4 year daughter) are seriously looking to emigrate to Oz this year and think Newcastle would be a great location to settle and bring up our daughter and enjoy the far better climate than we get in Scotland. Can anyone give me pointers as a good place to stay, ideally near the beach and easily commutable to King Street in the centre of town. Thanks in advance Paul

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • iandsmith's Profile Photo

Re: Living in Newcastle, Australia

by iandsmith Online Now Feb 11, 2005 at 10:28 AM

Now, there's a place I should know something about! Better climate is something we can certainly promise you and Australia's best city to live in according to independent criteria (and much to the chagrin of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane). As for accommodation, what exactly are you talking about? Motel, house, flat? There's usually a fair amount of flats available around December as that's when the uni students leave before the new ones come in and they invariably like to live in reasonable proximity to the beach. I should say beaches. Other than that it depends. If you want a house, you can get reasonably priced stuff within 5-10 kms around and getting into town is easy, there's no traffic hassles like you get in Sydney etc. If you want more details please feel free to contact me. Cheers, Ian P.S. How ironic I'm heading to Scotland in October...........only for a holiday though!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Living in Newcastle, Australia

by nathanjrutherford Online Now Nov 11, 2005 at 9:07 AM

hey pal, im an aussie who has lived in newie for 10 years but is now livin in scotland inverness, and newie is a gr8 place, bit warmer than inverness, i suggest movin to areas of waratah , hamilton south, wickham as these places were considered elderly and industrial but are now rapidly improving and house prices are considerably less than city centre, there are some cool schols around both primary and highschool for your daughter and there are plenty of buses to king st, bout 5 10 minute drive, also near merewether and bar beach, if ya do go you'll love it as its a busy town with good beaches,pubs and things to do, also only 2 hours from sydney.

where are you in scotland? if ya want more info on newie u can contact me at
    nathanjrutherford@hotmail.com. hope this helps as this site has helped me alot in my travels and im tryin to return the favour to others

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines