Newcastle Travel Answers

change location
macman2004uk's Profile Photo

Newcastle Motels things To Do/See

by macman2004uk Online Now Nov 4, 2004 at 10:20 PM

Hi: I live here in Newcastle on Tyne UK, I am a Geordie! I am planning my 2006 OZ vacation, my first stop out of sydney after the Blue Mountains is to make my way over to Newcastle NSW. Around January 2006, is this time of year easy to book up Hotel/Motel (Pre book or turn Up)? Is there much to see or do around Newcastle area/ Also looking for good rates Motel, as we are 2 to 3 guys on 6 weeks vacation to OZ and need a bit help. John Mac. Newcastle on Tyne. UK 05/11/2004. 06:20am GMT

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • iandsmith's Profile Photo

Re: Newcastle Motels things To Do/See

by iandsmith Online Now Nov 5, 2004 at 10:57 AM

Mmm, a fellow novocastrian! Well, sort of. At the risk of flaunting my pages, I'm disappointed you found it necessary to ask if there's anything to do. Allow absolute minimum 3 days, ideally 6 plus. The largest salt water lake in the southern hemisphere, best garden in Australia, Nelson Bay (Blue water wonderland), heaps of nightlife and I haven't really started yet! January is the busiest time of year for holiday makers though they tend to be in towns up the north coast more so than Sydney or Newcastle. You will get accommodation any time of year but, if you want a particular motel at that time, it may pay to pre book. I'm planning my October 2005 trip to England as we speak! Don't forget to let me know when the time gets closer so we can meet up while you're over here. Cheers, Ian

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DavynJayne's Profile Photo

Re: Newcastle Motels things To Do/See

by DavynJayne Online Now Nov 11, 2004 at 4:20 AM

A must see is Nelson bay, really beautiful, the mountains meet the see, very natural and not touristy. A very busy time so book, also very hot that time of the year, so use sun creme on that lovely Geordie skin. !! Have a great time Jayne

• majicsilverrose's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Newcastle Motels things To Do/See

by majicsilverrose Online Now Nov 16, 2004 at 8:57 AM

I am an Aussie Geordie, Ive only been here 35 years mind, i think ill stay. I agree totally with the other vters, there is heaps to do in Newcastle area, in fact i was just about to post to ask questions about going to Port Stephens area end of Feb for a few days. Newcastle nsw is beautiful, it never used to be so much when the heavy industry was full on, but now it is, much like the real one back in uk. So many place names are from Newcastle and Northumberland in he area, Morpeth, Wallsend, Jesmond, etc. and so many people have Geordie heritage, because of the coal mines and the ship yards in both places. Hope u have good time, ask me any question u have and ill try to answer for u, I live in Sydney. What part of Geordie land are u from ?

• Re: Newcastle Motels things To Do/See

by dee1011 Online Now Nov 18, 2004 at 3:59 AM

Hi there, I'm from Newcastle Australia and funnily enough I'm heading to Newcastle on Tyne this weekend to check it out. Newcastle in Oz is a wicked place and you're heading there at a great time. It'll be hot, gorgeous weather and it goes without saying that the major drawcard for Newy are it's beaches. Head to Bar Beach/Merewether for a swim or the Cliff for a surf. Red Head and Dudley are fantastic beaches too, but you'll need a bus to get to them. At night Queens Wharf is a great place, you'll be able to get Newcastle Brown at the Brewery and then a Harry's Cafe de Wheels pie, mash, gravy & peas at 5am in the morning as you stumble back to your hotel. Can't be missed. There are heaps of clubs as well, I think more have started up since I left at the beginning of this year. They're all in the city near the train station which is good. With hotels I'd book before, in summer Newy welcomes many tourists for the beach lifestyle, so booking ahead is a smart thing to do. Not sure on the rates but visit: www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au it should give you some tips. There are some great parks as well, King Edward is great as it's right above Newcastle Beach, Civic Park in the CBD and there are many in surrounding suburbs. Head to Darby Street for a feed at any of the fantastic cafes and make sure you have at least one night out at Hotel Delaney, it goes off. Oh and The Beaches Hotel in Merewether on a Sunday afternoon/evening is a tradition. Don't miss it - great bar and million dollar views. If you have time head to Lake Macquarie (it's outside of Newcastle, not far). Anyway, hope I've helped a bit, enjoy your time there! Donna

• macman2004uk's Profile Photo

by macman2004uk Online Now Nov 18, 2004 at 11:34 AM

Hi Donna: And thanks to everyone who gave me some great tips on Newcastle NSW. I am going to stay at Noah's on the Beach & try to enjoy as much as possible. I believe our next ports of call will be Coffs Harbour & Surfers Paradise, I will be putting questions in their forums. John Mac. Thursday 18 November 2004. 19:34hrs GMT.

• Linda_T's Profile Photo

by Linda_T Online Now Nov 21, 2004 at 3:55 AM

Noah's on the Beach is a fantastic place to stay. Walking distance to beaches (obviously) as well as Newcstle city centre and Harbour foreshore. Close to train station and buses as well. If you are at the foreshore take the ferry across to Stockton (only cost a few dollars each way). Enjoy!!

by macman2004uk Online Now Nov 21, 2004 at 4:21 AM

Cheers Linda: Happy we picked Noahs on the Beach. Some good reports from VT friends. Any more info could use? John Mac. Newcastle on Tyne. UK 21/11/2004. 12:21hrs GMT

• RE: RE: Newcastle Motels things To Do/See

by wanderingroo Online Now May 10, 2005 at 7:38 PM

Anyone planning to visit Nelson Bay, might consider this B and B:
    http://www.nelsonbay.com/~paulinep/
    (It's AAA/Four Star)
    Best wishes,
    Craig

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Newcastle Motels things To Do/See

by iandsmith Online Now May 11, 2005 at 12:15 AM

Just revisiting your query and the replies. Don't get too excited about Coffs (I'm actually there right now!). As a regular visitor to the place there are much nicer stops en route to the Gold Coast. If you want any info give me a yell.
    And do try and get to Nelson Bay/Port Stephens. You won't be disappointed.
    Cheers, Ian

RE: RE: Newcastle Motels things To Do/See

by macman2004uk Online Now May 23, 2005 at 11:23 AM

Hi Everyone:
    Thanks Ia & Craig.
    I will surley check things out in Nelson Bay/Port Stephens, also checking out the B & B.
    i have not been on VT for a while, just finished a major project in DIY Garden Makeover.
    the time is passing over fast now within 7 months away now.
    John Mac
    Newcastle on Tyne
    UK
    23 May 2005.
    19:18hrs GMT

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines