New Zealand

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Need help for local information

Queenstown Apr 23, 2015 at 5:45 AM

1. where is the best place to buy wine and beer in queenstown, southland, westcoast, around picton?
      2. Are the supermarkets the same pricing for meat (beef, chicken beasts)? Which supermarket chain has the best deals?
      3. Is BBQ in NZ charcoal or electricity ? What do I need to buy if I want to do BBQ at my accomodation? For eg, BBQ utensils, butter? oil? seasoning? etc Do I hv to stock all these items up? What are the basic seasoning provided there?
      4. Is coffee provided at guesthouse, backpackers, hostels in the morning? I would like to hv coffee before I drive to wake up and need to get coffee somewhere if possible!

OR can someone tell me what are the things I hv to stock up at the supermarket before I start my road trip becos these items are not provided at any accomodation in NZ.

5. I intend to rent a car to stock up at a cheaper price for travel. I hv heard of fuel savings programme at supermarket in NZ and wonder what is this about?

6. Where can I buy bluff oysters if I am not intending to drive up to bluff. I would love to try local seafood, and so far I have only heard of bluff oysters. Can someone tell me more on what type of local seafood and fish I should buy and try at local supermarket? I heard NZ has lots of such good food and I am getting hungry reading alone! THANKS.

more
    • What to do in 10 days in South New Zealand?

New Zealand May 16, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Hi all,

We'll be on the South Island of New Zealand for 10 days at the end of July. The country is so beautiful I'm overwhelmed with what to do in so little time. Any suggestions would be incredibly appreciated!

Were planning on seeing:

-Milford sound
      -fiordland national park
      -fox glacier
      -skiing in queenstown - but what mountain??
      -Christchurch
      -Cadbury factory haha

Thanks so much in advance for any ideas!!
      Rachel :)

more
    • Travel Queenstown to Christchurch

Queenstown May 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM

We are planning to travel/drive from Queensland to Christchurch on 3 June 2015, taking the route highways 8, 83 and 1.
      Is this route okay at this time of the year?

more
    • Cruise Port

Fiordland National Park May 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Im going on a cruise from Sydney to Fiordland National Park. When the ship docks are there tours you can take from there?

more
    • GiadaG1's Profile Photo

what can i take back to Italy from New Zealand?

New Zealand May 12, 2015 at 1:28 AM

Hi everybody,
      Right now I'm in New Zealand and I'll be back home in less than three weeks. So i was thinking about what i am going to buy to take back home, especially food. I wanted to take back a kumara, a sweet potato, to try to plant it at home. But the problem is that i don't know if i can take back fresh vegetables. Can you guys help me?

Cheers
      Giada

more
    • Cruise Port

Fiordland National Park May 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Im going on a cruise from Sydney to Fiordland National Park. When the ship docks are there tours you can take from there?

9 Answers May 21, 2015 at 1:21 AM
    • What to do in 10 days in South New Zealand?

New Zealand May 16, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Hi all,

We'll be on the South Island of New Zealand for 10 days at the end of July. The country is so beautiful I'm overwhelmed with what to do in so little time. Any suggestions would be incredibly appreciated!

Were planning on seeing:

-Milford sound
      -fiordland national park
      -fox glacier
      -skiing in queenstown - but what mountain??
      -Christchurch
      -Cadbury factory haha

Thanks so much in advance for any ideas!!
      Rachel :)

4 Answers May 21, 2015 at 1:36 AM

what can i take back to Italy from New Zealand?

New Zealand May 12, 2015 at 1:28 AM

Hi everybody,
      Right now I'm in New Zealand and I'll be back home in less than three weeks. So i was thinking about what i am going to buy to take back home, especially food. I wanted to take back a kumara, a sweet potato, to try to plant it at home. But the problem is that i don't know if i can take back fresh vegetables. Can you guys help me?

Cheers
      Giada

9 Answers May 21, 2015 at 1:28 AM
    • Travel Queenstown to Christchurch

Queenstown May 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM

We are planning to travel/drive from Queensland to Christchurch on 3 June 2015, taking the route highways 8, 83 and 1.
      Is this route okay at this time of the year?

7 Answers May 16, 2015 at 10:08 PM
    • Need help for local information

Queenstown Apr 23, 2015 at 5:45 AM

1. where is the best place to buy wine and beer in queenstown, southland, westcoast, around picton?
      2. Are the supermarkets the same pricing for meat (beef, chicken beasts)? Which supermarket chain has the best deals?
      3. Is BBQ in NZ charcoal or electricity ? What do I need to buy if I want to do BBQ at my accomodation? For eg, BBQ utensils, butter? oil? seasoning? etc Do I hv to stock all these items up? What are the basic seasoning provided there?
      4. Is coffee provided at guesthouse, backpackers, hostels in the morning? I would like to hv coffee before I drive to wake up and need to get coffee somewhere if possible!

OR can someone tell me what are the things I hv to stock up at the supermarket before I start my road trip becos these items are not provided at any accomodation in NZ.

5. I intend to rent a car to stock up at a cheaper price for travel. I hv heard of fuel savings programme at supermarket in NZ and wonder what is this about?

6. Where can I buy bluff oysters if I am not intending to drive up to bluff. I would love to try local seafood, and so far I have only heard of bluff oysters. Can someone tell me more on what type of local seafood and fish I should buy and try at local supermarket? I heard NZ has lots of such good food and I am getting hungry reading alone! THANKS.

3 Answers Apr 23, 2015 at 9:37 PM
    • Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

One night in Auckland.

Auckland Apr 3, 2015 at 2:50 AM

Hi, we will be arriving from Sydney landing at 17.10 on a Friday evening at the end of October. We are picking up a car at the airport at the start of a 32 night tour of the north island staying mainly at rented bach's at various locations. We intend staying one night in the Auckland area before heading up to Whangerei on Saturday morning. Before our journey north we need to stock up on food, wine, beer and a chilly bin etc. Can anyone suggest a mid-range motel / hotel that is within walking distance of bars & restaurants that also has a suitable supermarket / store nearby for us to stock up at. We would prefer not to stay too close to the airport as choices are limited, a suitable suburb of Auckland would be preferable. Any help would be much appreciated.

6 Answers May 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    • travel&tour

Wellington Apr 3, 2015 at 2:31 AM

I need to know must roam places of new zealand and how can I use my bank account there?

5 Answers Apr 6, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    • ChynaW's Profile Photo

Best hostel in Queenstown

Queenstown Apr 2, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Hi, I would like to know if anyone can suggest me a good hostel in Queensland?

7 Answers Apr 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    • zaffaran's Profile Photo

Accommodation in Auckland

Auckland Mar 29, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Dear VTers, can you recommend me a decent accommodation in Auckland? I mean, we'll be travelling quite on a bugdet so no Hilton , please. A small guesthouse will be perfect. Or maybe local company or trustworthy website offering this type of accommodation. Thank you in advance for your advice.

3 Answers Mar 29, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    • Recommendations for mountain sites/scenic locations

New Zealand Mar 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Hi VTs,

I would like to get some recommendations/suggestions for a short side trip to New Zealand for about 4 nights. I have not planned anything yet, but thinking about doing a side trip from Australia this April. I need help to visit mountains where movies are usually filmed (Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, etc). Since my time is very limited, can someone suggest me to any particular location which is quick and easy to cover in 4 days?

Any sort of information will be greatly appreciated!
      Thanks in advance! :)

6 Answers Mar 23, 2015 at 8:57 PM
    • Auckland 4 days

Auckland Mar 20, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Hi,

Will be travelling to Auckland for a wedding at Waiuku in April. The following is a rough itinerary. Would appreciate any suggestions and tips:

Arriving Auckland on Wednesday 2pm. Staying in Auckland city.
      Thursday morning, renting a car from the city and leaving for Waiuku for the wedding. Staying over night in Waiuku.
      Friday morning, booked tour at Spellbound caves. Thereafter, driving to Taupo and staying there for the night.
      Saturday morning, drive to Rotorau and Agrodome. Drive back to Auckland and staying the night in Auckland.
      Sunday morning return rental car. Depart Auckland Sunday night - shuttle to airport.

1) How are the road conditions? Will a normal car do or do I need to rent a 4x4?
      2) Driving from Waiuku to Spellbound Caves, is it easy to find?
      3) What is the weather like in April? Is it quite chilly in Waiuku and Taupo?
      4) Any coffee places along the way?
      5) If i have half a day, with no rental car, would you suggest Devonport or Waiheke?

Many thanks!

10 Answers Mar 28, 2015 at 10:49 AM
    • NEED HELP !!!!!!!

Christchurch Mar 2, 2015 at 5:02 PM

We are from Australia, and traveled to Christchurch last month, unluckily, before leaving we left a lovely jacket in a city backpacker called Dorset House. Wondering if anyone can kindly help us to grab it to post office and send it to Australia because the receptionist could not leave the reception desk, we'll pay the post fee. Anyone interested in giving a favor please send a message to julianqu@yahoo.com. Many many thanks

4 Answers Mar 2, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    • craic's Profile Photo

Tranpsort from airport into the city

Dunedin Feb 27, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Hi - I will be arriving at Dunedin in late April - and find there is no bus into the city - 30 k away. The website recommends I prebook a shuttle. Do you think this is necessary? Or can I just rock up and find plenty waiting for customers? Also, the website makes no mention of cost. It just suggests that the more there are of you the cheaper it is. (It is very unsatisfactory actually.) A taxi costs about $90 apparently, so I don't want to do that.

Has anyone arrived at Dunedin airport recently so knows what the story is?

5 Answers Mar 17, 2015 at 8:52 AM
    • Transport from Airport Auckland to Tepuke

Auckland Feb 25, 2015 at 1:04 AM

would like to know how do i take transport from Auckland airport to tepuke?

10 Answers Mar 29, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    • Florie's Profile Photo

Teacher Traveling with small budget needs help from the forum~please~~

New Zealand Feb 23, 2015 at 10:52 PM

What is the cost of airfare to travel from New Zealand to Sydney? Or New Zealand to a costal Australian town that would be the least expensive? Which airline? I am flying from San Francisco and I am thinking of buying a one-way ticket to New Zealand. Hoping to Australia and from there to Indonesia. I was thinking to flying back from Australia so I would not have to go all the way back to New Zealand. Is it best to arrival/departure from New Zealand? If any of the forum members has completed a trip like I am planning and can share some tips - I will be soooo grateful. What is the best route? What island(s) do you recommend? ~~Thank you for your replays~~~~

21 Answers Feb 25, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    • One night in Auckland

Auckland Feb 22, 2015 at 10:15 PM

We're a group of friends (12 total) will be traveling to Australia and New Zealand (South Island), then on the way back will spend one day (arriving to Auckland airport at 10:30am) and one night in Auckland. Next morning at 9:30am we will depart back to US. Can anyone please recommend whether we should get a hotel in the airport or in a city center for this night, and what we can do/see during this short visit?
      Thank you in advance.

5 Answers Mar 15, 2015 at 5:00 AM
    • Auckland in one day

Auckland Feb 17, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Hello,

As part of our honeymoon in September we will have one day from 6 am to 9 pm in Auckland.

Please let me know what can we do in Auckland in one day - we want to do city tour in Auckland- and maybe a sailing to see the city from the ship. what exactly to see in Auckland in one day?

What kind of New Zealand food specialities to try?any recommendation for restaurant where NZ food can be tried - which is not that expensive?

Many thanks,
      Gabriella

4 Answers Mar 15, 2015 at 5:00 AM

Where to buy a car

New Zealand Feb 15, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Hi everybody!
      I'm Giada from Italy and I'm planing my trip to NZ. I wanted to ask you if you know if I can buy a car in Auckland and sell it again in Christchhurch. Then I would fly again to Auckland. In addition where is the best place where I can buy a car?
      Thanks for any advice!
      Giada

3 Answers Feb 16, 2015 at 1:23 AM
    • 6 days in South Island, 3 nights based in Te Anau, 3 nights based in Queenstown area?

Queenstown Feb 11, 2015 at 2:59 PM

This is our first time to South Island, but won't be the last, that's why we are taking it easy instead of trying to see EVERYTHING. Please comment if this plan makes sense, or, you would advice differently -
      Dec. 20 1:00pm, arrive at Queenstown airport pickup rental car to drive to Te Anau
      Dec. 21-22, taking tours from touring companies from Te Anau to explore surrounding areas including the Sounds
      Dec. 23 drive back to Queenstown area, stay 3nights in Queenstown area,
      Dec. 24-25 explore Queenstown, Arrowtown, Wanaka, Glenorchy
      Dec. 26 Depart 3:40pm from Queentown airport

We would appreciate your response and open to your suggestions.

Thank you.

3 Answers Mar 15, 2015 at 5:00 AM
    • 13 days north Island itinerary

New Zealand Feb 1, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Hoping someone could advise if my planned itinerary is suitable.
      Day 1 - fly into Wellington, hire car and leave for Stratford.
      Day 2 - Mt Egmont/ Dawson Falls, Waitomo Caves en route to Auckland
      Days 3 & 4 - Auckland, Devonport and walks
      Days 5, 6, 7 - Bay of Islands
      Day 8 - Coromandel area
      Day 9 - Rotorua
      Days 10 & 11 - Taupo - Tongarrio National Park
      Day 12?
      Day 13 - Wellington

I realise we don't have a lot of time - we would like to do some short walks with views, waterfalls etc, but nothing that will take more than 3-4 hrs return.
      Any suggestions on the best route back from Taupo to Wellington? Stay?
      Thanks in advance - all suggestions will be taken on board.
      Leigh
      Any advice - do I have too long / not enough time in any areas

3 Answers Mar 15, 2015 at 5:00 AM
    • AnaLuiza's Profile Photo

Fishing Store in Auckland

Auckland Jan 30, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Hello,
      I will be in Auckland just for a day and am looking for a large fishing store for ocean fishing.
      Can somebody recomend one?
      Thanks in advance.

2 Answers Jan 31, 2015 at 3:00 PM
    • jez25's Profile Photo

Data plan carrier

New Zealand Jan 25, 2015 at 12:20 PM

We want to purchase a sim card and data plan in New Zealand for our iPhone 5. We'll be driving thru NZ for three weeks,
      starting in March. Could you recommend the best carrier to deal with? We use AT&T in the United States.
      Thanks very much for your advice.

Jan Zechman

2 Answers Jan 25, 2015 at 1:12 PM
    • thrifty car rental Mt Manganui

New Zealand Jan 20, 2015 at 5:41 AM

Hi need to hire a car for 15 days collecting from Mt Manganui on a Sunday dropping back to Auckland Airport. Has anyone used Thrifty. Are they recommended.
      Many thanks, Denise

6 Answers Mar 15, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    • heydelin's Profile Photo

How to go to Moeraki from Dunedin

Moeraki Jan 17, 2015 at 1:57 AM

Hi,

I'd like to visit the boulders next week for my birthday. Just don't know the best way to go there without driving a car though. Is there a train going all the way to Moeraki boulders? Not quite sure if Dunedin railways only goes to Palmerston and Oumaru without stopping at Moeraki. Or should we get off Palmerston and find a way to go to Moeraki? Or is there any other way, by bus maybe? Appreciate your suggestions!

Thank you!

Haydee

2 Answers Jan 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM
    • Week Dec. 20-27 or Dec. 28- Jan. 2 for Queenstown

Queenstown Jan 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Which week is better in terms of crowd and sites closure during holidays? We are from USA, a couple at 50 & early 60 plan to stop over at Queenstown for 1 week and visit family in Melbourne Australia for another week.

3 Answers Jan 15, 2015 at 1:29 PM
    • Tent camping in March?

New Zealand Jan 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Hi all-- My husband and I will be in New Zealand for most of March-- most of our time on the South Island.  

My question is about transportation.  We're trying to decide how to get around-- trying to balance budget and comfortableness-- and would appreciate any advice. We are leaning towards renting a car, bringing a tent and camping when the weather is nice, staying in a hotel/hostel when the weather is not. But we know that the weather can be fickle, so we've also talked about getting a campervan. However, we like the possible flexibility of staying in a nice hotel when we'd like (its our honeymoon-- so some splurging is allowed)-- we'd have a harder time justifying that in a campervan. Which would you recommend?  Car/tent (hostel/hotel if neccessary) or campervan?   The second concern is whether we need to book in advance for camping or lodging in March, or would we be able to wing it? Thank you in advance for your advice!

3 Answers Jan 12, 2015 at 12:52 AM
    • taxi from airport?

Petone Jan 6, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Hello, could anyone tell me the approximate cost of a taxi from wellington international airport to Brittania Street Petone. thank you.

2 Answers Jan 6, 2015 at 7:37 PM
    • NicolaL8's Profile Photo

Anyone looking for shared travel via car - South Island NZ

New Zealand Jan 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Hi there, I'm a NZ local and still on Christmas holidays. Exploring as many places in the South Island as I can and wondering if there is anyone that wants to share fuel costs / needs a ride from place to place. 33yr female that loves photography and tramping/outdoors.Contact me if you would like to organize something :)

how to travel in Nz

New Zealand Jan 6, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Hi there!
      I have a question for you. Which one, do you think, is the best way to travel around NZ?
      I would like to buy a car, but don't know where and if i can sell it back again.
      Advice are welcome
      Thanks, Giada

6 Answers Jan 6, 2015 at 4:35 PM
    • Mnavarro's Profile Photo

Late flight into Christchurch and Coach Ride to Queenstown

Christchurch Jan 4, 2015 at 7:30 PM

My husband and I are getting into Christchurch from Melbourne at 11:40PM. Should we take a taxi to our hotel in downtown Christchurch and how much do we expect to pay? What hotel with 24-hour reception would you recommend near the bus/coach station to Queenstown.
      Also, we will be taking the Newmans Coach from Christchurch to Queenstown. Has anyone experienced taking the Newmans Coach from Christchurch to Queenstown? How comfortable is the ride and are there restroom stops on the way? What do you recommend we do to have a stressfree time on the coach for 8 hours.
      Thank you so much for your input.
      Marilou

12 Answers Mar 4, 2015 at 4:15 PM