New Zealand Travel Answers

change location
runawaymind's Profile Photo

4 days for a taste of a part of NZ

by runawaymind Online Now Jan 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Hi all,
We are going to NZ with a few friends. We are going over the Easter break, so will only have 4 or 5 days. Of course we don't expect to see everything, but will pick a region. We live in Sydney so we will have chances to go again in the future. But the idea of this trip is to have a nice break with friends.

I've been googling, but the problem is you need to know what you're looking for, eg if you want to go to Rotorua, you google that. We havent even decided which area we are going to!! If anyone has any suggestions for a region (or two nearby regions) we could spend a few days in, that would be really appreciated.

The group: all adults, 30-41 yo. 2 couples, maybe another two single guys. Interests: wine tasting, good food, scenery, national parks, a bit of bushwalking (beginner level), possibly kayaking (beginner level)
Accomodation: mid-range, comfortable, eg on a winery, absolutely no camping!! (says one of our friends)
Areas need to be gay friendly (I'm sure thats all fine in NZ)

My husband and I have been to Queenstown and Dunedin and cycled the Otago rail trail so want somewhere new.
Possible places of interest: The classic wine tour from Napier to Blenheim, Martinborough wine region (and also Marlborough wine region) but I am particulrly interested in the Martinborough pinot noir, Milford Sound. Would have to choose between these....

Is there a region that has wineries and some outdoor activities (national parks, bushwalking, lakes you can rent kayaks on)?

Thanks very much!

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular New Zealand Travel Answer Locations