change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

Accommodation

by taurean_traveller Online Now 14 hours ago

A member of my family is wanting to visit New York for a couple of months. They are on a very limited budget and we have no idea as to cost of renting. Can anyone recommend places to stay,flat share,decent hostels, living with families etc etc. We have surfed and found lots and lots of adverts for apartments but would like to hear from anybody who has actually stayed in shared accommodation,or stayed with a family.or recommend hostels and the like. What would be an acceptable rent to pay per week for a couple of months.
      The preferred situation would be to share or stay with a family rather than a hostel as part of the process of visiting is to get to know people and everyday life.

Many thanks

more
    • Any bars around Citi Field?

by MapleMoose Online Now Mar 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM

...or just the auto body shops I see on Google? Coming by subway so I am looking for something a short distance from the ballpark.

more
    • Taxi price from La Guardia to hotel near Times Square on 8th Avenue?

by BigSnookie Online Now Apr 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM

We will be arriving at 10:30 pm into La Guardia airport, and need a cab to 8th Ave. near Times Square.
      Is there a fixed rate?; or what can we expect to pay?
      Thank you!

more
    • icamarica's Profile Photo

Checked bags on AMTRAK with no checked bags sign

by icamarica Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 6:13 AM

Hi all,

I'm going to go to Paoli, PA from New York, NY with AMTRAK. The sign on the schedule says the train has no checked bags. But I have to bring my big bag because I will continue the trip (also with AMTRAK) to Washington DC then head home to Indonesia. Is it possible to just bring the luggage with me even if it says no checked bag?

more
    • TAXI from JFK to Brooklyn

by jelenajd Online Now Mar 27, 2014 at 7:17 AM

What is the price from JFK to Brooklyn?

more
    • new york itinerary

by jane_135 Online Now Apr 10, 2014 at 4:23 AM

Hi!

I´ve collecting places to see in a eastern seven days trip in New York. May be somebody tell me something about it...

Thursday 17- Abril Barcelona NY 22:35

Flight arrives at 15:50h
      Hotel between Times square and central park
      buy Metro Card (cuesta 31$)
      buy City Pass
      Go to tickets row TKTS to see offers for Opera ghost
      59av, Trump tower, Broadway, etc,
      go to Apple shop

Friday 18- Abril NY

Times Square y Empire State
      Go twice ESB, one early in the morning
      Radio City Music Hall, Cathedral ST Patrick, Bryant Park y biblioteca pública (Impresionante. Tanto el hall de entrada como las salas de lectura, no os la perdais!:
      ), Central Station (una estacion de trenes con un encanto unico. ), New York Library, Edificio Chrysler (aunque solo se pueda ver el hall es precioso), Macys (Tienda ropa),
      Volver por la 5ª avenida

Opcional:
      Metropolitan Life Toser, Museo sexo, Naciones Unidas, Outlet Woodbury

Sat 19- Abril NY

Tour contrastes (4h con Elena)

Zona Financiera y puente Brooklyn (atardecer)
      Wall Street La bolsa (New York Stock Exchange) está justamente en la esquina contraria al Federal Hall , Catedral Trinity, Zona 0, City Hall,Calle Broadway, World Trade Center, St. Paul’s Chapel, City Hall Park
      Cruzar puente de Brooklyn (sobre 17:30-18h. Coger unas pizzas y cenar viendo el anochecer), Dumbo y alrededores y vistas atardecer (Llevar cena).

Opcionales:
      21st Century (Compras dar una vuelta por dentro), Battery Park, Bowling Green, J&R, New York city Museum, Brookylin Heights. Columbus Park, Canal street, Templo Mahayana, Charging Bull, Castle Clinton, Subir a alguna terraza Fifth 230 y echar una cervecita antes de ir a dormir.

Sun 20- Abril NY

Misa Gospel
      Metro hasta Harlem (Harlem, Teatro Apollo, Universidad de Columbia, iglesia de St. John the Divine y brunch en Silvia’s.)
      Misa de góspel (ir a las 08:00 o a las 11:00). misa de antioch baptist

Central Park
      Parte centro-norte del parque, más cercana a Harlem. Comer en el parque. Edificio Dakota. Strawberry fields.
      Visita Museo Nacional de Historia Natural.

TOR
      Subir al TOR para ver el atardecer (Estar sobre las 19h.).

Opcionales:
      Lincoln Center, Columbus Circle, Zabar`s, Riverside Church

Mon 21- Abril NY

Chelsea
      Madison Square Garden, Flatiron, Madison Square Park, Union Square, Whashington Square Park, Gramercy park, Chelsea o Meatpacking, High Line, Chelsea Market.
      High Line y distrito de Chelsea. Es uno de los lugares mas desconocidos de la ciudad y que poco a poco y gracias al boca a boca va haciendose su hueco. No os lo perdais.

Helicóptero las 5pm

Soho
      Zona del Soho, son edificios muy bonitos.
      También lo más importante de Tribeca, Chinatown, Little Italy, Nolita y Lower East Side.
      Chinatown sería muy interesante verlo de noche para verlo de forma distinta a lo habitual con todas las luces.

Opcionales:
      Universidad New York, Judson Memorial Church, West Village, Greenwich Village, Washington Square Park, NOHO y East Village hasta Tompkins Square Park.

Martes 22- Abril NY

Central Park
      Parte sur del parque. bici.

MET

Baseball Entradas para los Mets 19:10

Miércoles 23- Abril NY

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿?????????
      cruise at evening around manhattan. ¿¿¿¿???

Jueves 24- Abril NY

Lo que quede
      Roosevelt Island en el teleférico

Vuelo a España a las 19:30h.

Otras opcionales:
      - Ferry staten island
      - NBC Estudios??
      - Jersey Gardens outlet (por si hace mal tiempo)?
      - MET?? Metropolitan y el Moma??

more
    • looking for activities with teenagers in NYC in July.

by ystrausz Online Now Mar 27, 2014 at 11:37 PM

outdoors, lots of energy requred activities but also intersting museums for example.
      thanks!

more
    • Travel Budget

by Liz.L Online Now Apr 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM

My teenage daughter is traveling to New York with her theatre class in mid April.They will be staying for 5 days and I need to send her with money for meals and light shopping; should i send cash or a pre-paid credit card? and how much money should I send with her?

more
    • acloud's Profile Photo

EWR to NYC

by acloud Online Now Apr 15, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I usually fly into LGA, but will be leaving out of EWR tomorrow night. I'm a cheapskate and prefer public transportation. I've read that bus #62 takes you from Penn station to EWR. Is that right? Any particulars I need to know? Where exactly do I catch it. How long can I reasonably expect it to take? My flight is at 7:45pm. Thanks!

more
    • Turska's Profile Photo

Choosing a hotel

by Turska Online Now Dec 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I have done some research during christmas, and trying to choose a hotel to book for our trip in March. Now I think I have found two almost as good choises, and can´t say witch one should suit us better. If someone wwants to tell why I should choose this or that, feel free to help me choose. Those hotels are at different areas, so I guess the area would be the "key" to choose? The other one is Super 8 Brooklyn, Park Slope and another is Hotel verve at Long Island city. Both have quite similar offers, both have quite similar reviews (around 4/5 at Trip advisor for example) and so on. We have been thinking, that Brooklyn might be nicer, since there is those lovely old red brick houses, and not as modern huge sky scrapers (witch we will of course go and see, but no need to stay by them all the time). And (some of yo might not understand this..) there is quite many micro or/and craft breweries at the area, even close to hotel. Craft beers are the thing we saerch when we search for "nightlife". We don´t like nightclubs, and wouldn´t stay out much later than midnight anyway on our trips (want to wake up early for museums and such) and we are share holders of a local craft brewery, and like to visit those ones also around world. But is there something that would speak for Long island city? With Google maps I found there is pubs with craft beers also, even if not brewerys (or maybe one?). Both had restaurants to eat (we like to eat late, so it´s nice to have places to eat near hotel). I think I won´t search for more hotels anymore, or I will get comfused again. It will be one of these two.
      Is any of these two more safer area to walk at night? Is eating out more expensive at one area?
      My 72 years old mother was little worried about our "walking out at night", since when they were at Miami at 1980´s they were told not to walk out at night, and be very careful..

11 Answers Dec 29, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    • Turska's Profile Photo

Newyorkhotels.org ?

by Turska Online Now Dec 23, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Has anyone used newyorkhotels.org? I found great price for Comfort inn Brooklyn from them and it has good reviews at trip advisor.

2 Answers Dec 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Restaurant suggestions

by Dabs Online Now Dec 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Between the holidays and traveling I haven't had any time to look at restaurants, other than pizza places, for our trip in December. Can anyone give me any suggestions pre theater for a Friday and Sunday night? I think we are going to see a show at The Union Square Theatre on 17th Street between Park Avenue and Irving Place and the other is at Walter Kerr Theatre 219 W 48th St. My niece is a vegetarian but will eat fish so I was thinking Italian, Spanish or Indian. I don't want to have to check a bag on the flight so I'm packing light so looking for a place that nothing fancier than nice black jeans would be required. Thanks a bunch!

17 Answers Jan 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    • Today Show.

by califtraveler Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

What time should I show up to be at Rock. Ctr. to be in the crowd to see the gang from the today show on the Plaza?

2 Answers Dec 18, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    • Staying over christmas

by Thompsond Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Hi, I am arriving Christmas Day and leaving New Years day, looking for a safe but cheap hotel any recommendations?

7 Answers Dec 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    • mcb's Profile Photo

New Year's Eve - not in Times Square -

by mcb Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Can you please help me to find a great New Year's Eve not in Time Square? I already have some information about NYRR Midnight Run in central park. Is there other places? Where should i dinner? I'll stay in Sheraton New York Hotel at Times Square. I'm travelling with 2 teenagers. TIPS please.
      Thank you!

3 Answers Dec 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    • mcb's Profile Photo

New Year's Eve in Time Square

by mcb Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM

How do We spend a great evening of New Year's Eve in Times Square? Should we buy tickets? Can we get in to the square? TIPS? We are going to stay in a hotel near times square.

5 Answers Dec 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    • mnarcelles's Profile Photo

new york city buses

by mnarcelles Online Now Dec 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Hi New yorkers and fellow vters
      My family and I are now in New York city, for a month vacation, my question is,
      is it posible to take a public transport bus to Go around the streets of manhattan
      during the night to see the Xmas lights and decorations .if posible ,
      Where is the bus stop, and what bus number? Thank you so much,

3 Answers Dec 13, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    • AixaB's Profile Photo

Tanzania Safety

by AixaB Online Now Dec 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Hello, good evening. I'm planning to travel to Tanzania next year (aroun March-April) for an anthropological research. My plan is to go to Mwanza and stay at least 4 weeks. But I have some concerns, especially when it comes to safety (I will be travelling by myself and I'm a 24 year-old woman) and accomodation (since I'll be staying for at least a month I can't afford to stay in a 5 star hotel)... Any tips, comments or suggestions? Thank you very much!

2 Answers Dec 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    • Turska's Profile Photo

Sunset at march

by Turska Online Now Dec 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM

I was wondering, if I could book tickets to Empire State building as a Christmas present for my husband. He would like to visit it, I´m a little afraid of it, but it might be something we "must" do when in town. So if I book the tickets, I must go myself.. Anyway. If I do book them, I would like to know witch time would be the best. I love taking photos, and maybe at sunset I would get nice ones. It would be 12th March (we will sstay a week, but this day is a special one for us, so I thought I would choose it).. So witch time would be the best, if I´d love to see the sunset there. At Paris, we went to Eiffel tower too late, and even if the city lights were nice, the photos didn´t look so good.
      If I´m not so scared, that I cant take any photos ;)
      He did also speak about visiting the Statue of Liberty, but I thing that normal building is easier for me. And is there even visits to the top of the statue anymore?
      I checked New York pass, but it is quite expensive for a budget traveller.

25 Answers Dec 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    • TN07Heritage's Profile Photo

First time to New York City

by TN07Heritage Online Now Dec 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Hello. I am interested in traveling to New York City for the first time between 12-25-13/ 1-1-14. I realize this is not a good time because of the holidays but with our schedule this is when we can get away. My question is: Are there any recommendation for vacation rentals that are safe from scams ? Are vacation rentals a good option compared to standard hotel lodging? Price? Any helpful advice for Times Square options will be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Tim

19 Answers Dec 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    • Turska's Profile Photo

Airports, does it matter witch one we use?

by Turska Online Now Nov 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Is there any big difference for us, if the flight lands at Newark instead of JFK?

31 Answers Nov 30, 2013 at 4:19 AM
    • Best shuttle from jfk to manhaten hotel

by califtraveler Online Now Nov 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Have booked trip to NYC in January. Can anyone suggest the best shuttle from JFK to Salisbury Hotel in Manhatten? Thanks. Also, what service provides same day reduced tickets to shows? Thanks again.

9 Answers Nov 28, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    • Has anyone been to Tribeca Grill?

by peepers Online Now Nov 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM

We enjoy wine and are looking for a cozy, charming restaurant with good food and wine. Thank you!

7 Answers Nov 26, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Pizza, is it really better than Chicago?

by Dabs Online Now Nov 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I've got my trip to NYC booked for after Christmas, we're staying at the Residence Inn Times Square (can't change it so don't tell me if I made a mistake!). After watching Jon Stewart's rant about Chicago pizza, it made me want to try some of the New York pizza so I can see if it's true that New York's is superior to our heavenly deep dish pizza. Willing to travel for the best as long as it's safe for 2 women to be going there. Slices or whole pizzas, either will do. Bring it on New York pizza fans!

28 Answers Nov 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    • Radio City Christmas Spectacular

by zooliferus Online Now Nov 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM

This will be my first time attending the Christmas Spectacular and I am so very excited!, but I'm not sure what to wear. Do I dress up like for the Opera or a level down? I know to dress nicely but I don't want to over do it.

Our tickets are for Dec 11 2013 at 5:00 pm

7 Answers Dec 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Christmas decorations, when do they come down?

by Dabs Online Now Nov 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I was thinking about going to NYC for a couple of days to see a show and can either go right after Christmas, Dec 28/29 or right after NY Jan 4/5. The hotel rates, naturally, are about 1/2 the cost for the January dates but will the Christmas decorations still be up (Rockefeller Center, store windows)? I can also daytrip into NYC from the Philadelphia area (family can put me up for a couple of nights) if need be but am not thrilled about taking a train late at night. Thanks :-)

4 Answers Feb 27, 2014 at 1:50 AM
    • Turska's Profile Photo

Hotel prices at resonable areas?

by Turska Online Now Nov 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Oh my.. I won one person flights to New York. I´m planning to change them to two persons flights to some European town (so that I could get two flights free), but just to make sure before I do that: How cheap you could book a hotel (not a hostel!) from reasonable area? Anything under 100e?? It migt be at april or at summer when we could get free from work. I have no ideas about the areas or anything and we have allways thought that it is too long flight, but before I change the tickets..must think first..

62 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    • acloud's Profile Photo

NYC in January

by acloud Online Now Nov 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I've visited NYC dozens of times and go 3 or 4 times a year. However, I've never been January. I have the opportunity to stay in Brooklyn for a week or so and have decided to brave the weather. Other than shows, what else is going on that I could do and not freeze to death? Anything special going on in the winter months that I can't do any other time? Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions.

7 Answers Nov 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    • cherrycola's Profile Photo

Thanksgiving in NYC

by cherrycola Online Now Nov 15, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Hi
      Im going to be in NYC for thanksgiving, we don't have thanksgiving in the uk so was just wondering if anywhere will be open. Will for example macdonalds even be open to get somthing to eat or does everywhere close and we will have to get room service?

We will be in NYC 24th-30th November so any suggestions of thinks to do or what the weather might be like would also be appreciated.

Thank you! Xx

9 Answers Nov 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    • Shopping & restrictions

by LADY_TINKERBELLE Online Now Nov 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM

i am going to New York mid Decwith my 11 & 14 year old kids.
      we are all very excited.
      One thing that is bothering me is the shopping.
      my friends from home (the UK) have been and said you can buy as much as you want of anything & bring it home 7 others saying you are only allowed to bring £390 worth of stuff back & that the suitcases get checked & you will be forced to pay duty/tax/
      Im not interested in tobacco or alcohol, just clothing apple stuff & toys. any info would be greatly appreciated.

xx

13 Answers Nov 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    • New England Road Trip

by 6cathygar Online Now Nov 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

My aunt and I are flying into NYC in June 2014 from California. From NYC we thought we'd take a bus or train to Mystic, Boston, not sure yet. We want to rent a car and travel the east coast up to Maine and then fly back to California. We have about 2 weeks including flight time. We want to see all the tourist sights, do some shopping, etc., no hiking or sports, just sightseeing. Any suggestions on an itinerary? Where should we should start our road trip? Neither of us has been to the east coast and we're really excited but don't know where to begin after we leave NYC.

5 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    • Radio City Music Hall

by villasgirl Online Now Nov 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Are there any suggestions for eating with a 6 year old around Radio City Music Hall?

1 Answer Nov 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    • NYC Walking Tours

by Aviglan Online Now Nov 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

What is a good walking tour to take in NYC?

5 Answers Nov 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    • East Harlem

by Tschiggs Online Now Nov 1, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Hi,

we are going on vacations to New York in early February.

We are looking for an apartment and found a nice one. It's at the corner of Tito Puente Way and 1st Avenue. Is that a safe area?

Thanks for your help!

Jameil

8 Answers Nov 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    • Looking to see NY City on Friday (1st Nov) and Saturday (2nd Nov) Coming from Syracuse

by varun43 Online Now Oct 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Hi Friends,

I am planning to travel to NYC this week to see NY City. I will be with my wife and 3 yrs young kid; Can some suggest me a hotel near NYCity in a budget under 100 ( i am ok with nearby cities also like jersy, queens, brooklyn etc.. ) and also what is best way to roam around city.. like a package with am attraction in once, or get by hoho, or subway or any other mode of transport that is better.. pls suggest I am planning to be there on Friday morning and be there until Saturday evening.. i will be driving my car to city and looking a hotel (may be NJ,Brooklyn etc) where I can park my car and visit NY City and come back

regards
      varun sharma
      varun.y.sharma@gmail.com

1 Answer Nov 1, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    • mickey.p's Profile Photo

New York to Washington?

by mickey.p Online Now Oct 30, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Visit NYC on Facebook mentioned going to Washington for the day from NYC, does anyone have any feedback on this?

We are visiting for 8 days so could spare the time if its a good idea. Would it be best to drive, go by train or on a tour?

Any inside info would be great!

16 Answers Oct 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    • Adrianobr's Profile Photo

Brooklyn Bridge

by Adrianobr Online Now Oct 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

What's the best way to visit Brooklyn Bridge on foot in winter?

9 Answers Oct 30, 2013 at 2:02 AM
    • Long layover at JFK - luggage storing options?

by malsg Online Now Oct 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Hello all,

I'll be in transit through NYC next week, travelling with a 6 year old and a lot of luggage. I have a long 8 hour layover (8 30 am to 5 15 PM) and I wish to use it to catch the fall colors in Central Park. My question is - where do I park my luggage? Is there any cloak room available or do I have an option to check that in to my next (American Airlines) flight? Thanks in advance.

Malini

2 Answers Oct 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    • Group Transportation

by tkstrauss Online Now Oct 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I am taking a group of 8 high school students and myself to NY. We are staying near China Town and we are flying into LGA. What is the best way to get them from airport to hotel?

3 Answers Nov 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM