New York City Travel Answers

change location

Sun set and sun rise in New York City

by zergada Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 4:15 AM

hi,
I am coming to New York next month, I would like to know the best places to see sun set and sun rise in New York City to take photos. Also, is better to take photos for Broklyn Bridge during sun set or sun rise.
Thanks for your reply,

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Sun set and sun rise in New York City

by ukinsurance Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Well New York is full of places to see like Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island Immigration Museum, American Museum of Natural History,Top of the RockĀ® & Rockefeller Center, Central Park and many other sites.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Sun set and sun rise in New York City

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 5:59 AM

If you want the actual sun in your photograph, then you need to face east at sunrise and west at sunset. Obviously though, you can get some great photos of the shadows created by the two in any place. One of the prettiest sunrises I've seen was at the end of Wall Street along the East River. But that was in the summer. To get a good sunrise shot with the Brooklyn Bridge in the foreground in the spring, I would guess the Manhattan Bridge would be a good place to go. I suggest you check out Google Streetview to find a good spot and then take into account the sun's position for the season you're going versus when the pictures were taken (usually in summer).

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:22 AM

well just go over the river hudson to Hoboken and see the sunset sunrise and iris over the skyscrapers
    cheers

• lucyloveslife's Profile Photo

by lucyloveslife Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 2:03 AM

NYC is a great place for sunrise and sunset photos because of all the skyscrapers. The Brooklyn bridge is great at sunset (and probably sunrise, too, but I never went that early :) ) but the most obvious place to go at sunset is up the Empire State building so you can get a view of the whole city - sometimes it's nice to have the Empire State building in the picture though so, for this reason, you might want to head up to the top of the Rockerfeller or somewhere else.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Have you ever heard about Manhattanhenge? Unluckily you are not on correct time there, but all who are interested in phenomenons take a look to wikipedia about the times you can see sunset/rise in 42nd street direction.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhat...

• dino335's Profile Photo

by dino335 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Weel, you're NOT going to get a shot of the sunrise and the Brooklyn bridge standing on the Manhattan Bridge facing east, as the Brooklyn Bridge is west of the Manhattan Bridge. You will get a shot of sunrise and Manhattan Bridge.standing on the Brooklyn Bridge. I found this question very interesting, as I took some really nice pictures of the sun rising over the 59th Bridge with great reflections of the sun on the east River a while back. But those pictures were taken in Early June. Well, I found this website www.suncalc that allows you to see where the sun rises and sets viewed from a specific location for any day of the year. So looking at that the view from Brooklyn Bridge should be very good. As far as sunset, in March the sun will be setting behind the Statue of Liberty and you should be able to get shots from Battery Park or Battery Park City. You should get good reflections of sun on the upper bay. You will have to scout around for best angles. Also, you could get shots of George Washington Bridge an Hudson River from the Clositers. Another place to Consider is Central Park at sunset -- you can get shots of sunsetting over midtown skyscrapers or the luxury coop towers on Central Park West..

And if you wanted to get tyhe sun rising over Manhattan, you should get great shots of lower mahattan from Jersey City. It looks like if you are in Hoboken the sun rise in March will be in between Midtown and Downtown,where there aren't any skyscrapers.

I attached three of the photos I took...I was standing in the park on east river in Mahattan at East 36th street. the sun will be off to the right of where it is in those photos in March, but you still will get good reflections off the water and there are about six new condo towers that went up since I took those pictures, so that could be a good location also.

Enjoy your trip to NYC!

• footstool's Profile Photo

by footstool Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Try the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights. It's just south of the Brooklyn Bridge, on the "west coast" of Brooklyn. You look west, so it's perfect for the sunset shot. Walk west, from downtown Brooklyn's Court St or Jay St stations, along Montague St, thru Brooklyn Heights, until you can't walk no more.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines