New York City Travel Answers

change location
marinarena's Profile Photo

"Cute" Boutique in NYC?

by marinarena Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Hi especially to all who know NYC! Can anyone recommended an inexpensive (thinking120 or lower rate) boutique hotel in NYC, any borough would be fine, as far as particular location. Any hotel that is unconventionational/kitschy with some sort of theme (Bohemian, Tropical, etc)?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • dino335's Profile Photo

Re: "Cute" Boutique in NYC?

by dino335 Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Try Verve Hotel or Veltier in Long Island City. You may get 120 or lower in off season. The LaQuinta in LIC might be cheaper but it isn't "cute" although in does have a "theme" I suppose.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dino335's Profile Photo

by dino335 Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM

It's Vetiver not Veltier...sorry

• marinarena's Profile Photo

by marinarena Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Thanks Dino. They seem very quaint. I should probably think more like150-$200 for a bettr selection of hotels I have in mind.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 4:05 AM

I haven't stayed here but it gets decent reviews on booking.com; take a look at the ship-themed Jane?

booking.com/hotel/us/the-jan...

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM

we stayed at Ameritania hotel recently Right in downtown NYC walking distance to Times Square and many braodway theaters. The lobby has funky red look. Room is decent. Google for more infos. It cost around200. Still lower than most NYC downtown hotels. Sometimes U have to pay abit more to be better located than stay far away from touristy areas.

• 10028's Profile Photo

by 10028 Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I think it's a mistake to choose a hotel based on its theme. You'll (hopefully!) be spending more time exploring the city than you will at the hotel, except for sleeping, that is! A good strategy is to find a well-reviewed hotel within your budget. As long as you're near a subway, you can easily get around.

When are you traveling? In low season, your budget might do, but hotel prices vary week to week, and at peak times even low-budget tourist hotels charge through the roof.

On a side note to walkietalkie2012 -- in NY, the "downtown" area is in the southernmost part of Manhattan, as opposed to most cities, where the word refers to a central business district. The hotel you mention is in midtown west, not downtown.

• marinarena's Profile Photo

by marinarena Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Thanks Kate...Excellent recommedation, just the kind of place I'm looking for. The lobby there is to die for!

by goodfish Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM

You're welcome, Marie. I saw a few more as I was digging around just out of curiosity but most were quite expensive. This one looked to have rates that might be possible on your budget, and reviews were good. :O)

If you end up staying there, we'd love to get a write-up/photos from you?

• Re: "Cute" Boutique in NYC?

by bigapplelover1 Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

how about the Mave Hotel NYC at 62 Madison Ave ( 27th st)..great location and walking distance to everything ..themavehotel.com also, the jewelny.com or the jewel hotel at 11 west 51st st; also, thegemhotel.com or the gem hotel at 449 west 36th st or at 135 east houston in SOHO; also, the Excelsior Hotel at 45 west 81st st..excelsiorhotelny.com; for the bigbucks, try crosbystreethotel.com at 79 crosby st in SOHO... have a great time and welcome to NYC.

Re:

by goodfish Online Now Jun 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Sorry Louisa, but soliciting your business isn't allowed on Virtual tourist: please reference the guidelines. The staff will remove your post shortly.

Also, the original post is from 16 months ago: the OP's trip is long over.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines