New York City Travel Answers

change location

JFK to Montauk - where to stay near JFK for one night?

by TravellingLondoner Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could help me? I am a Londoner, and I am looking to travel from JFK to Montauk in May. However I don't arrive until 8pm at night into JFK (and I will ahev been drinking on teh plane!), so I want to spend a night near the airport, and then get up refreshed and hire a car to drive to Montauk the next day. There is no point going into Manhatten to stay for one night to have to come out again - both financially and geographically!

Can anyone kindly recommend an area near to JFK to book a hotel just for the night which is safe and has some charm to a tourist please? I have read a lot of scary things about Queens so really not sure where to stay!

Many thanks for any advice.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

Re: JFK to Montauk - where to stay near JFK for one night?

by giampiero6 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Hi...not really sure of the details, but a quick suggestion is just that you might be able to find something near rockaway beach or the nature preserve. That might be your best best...

Otherwise, I'd suggest trying to get out towards montauk in the evening and then enjoying it out that way.

Eastern long island is really beautiful and not like Brooklyn or QUeens AT ALL. It's more like Martha's Vineyard out that way.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM

"Near to JFK" and "some charm to a tourist" are pretty much mutually exclusive. Considering you'll be tired after your flight , and also that once you get through immigration and baggage claim you are unlikely to get out of the airport before 9 PM, I wouldn't be planning on doing too much that evening.

If you are planning on renting a car then I would work that out first--car rental rates vary dramatically depending on where you pick up the car. Airport locations and Manhattan are going to be the most expensive, so you'll probably want to pick it up somewhere cheaper--possibly somewhere along the LIRR train line en route to your destination, or another Queens/LI location.

There are plenty of hotels in Queens/LI that are close to LIRR and should be reasonably convenient to car rental offices. For instance, I stayed at a Hampton Inn in Rockville Center two years ago that was pretty well located. Check TripAdvisor and Kayak for possibilities.

• footstool's Profile Photo

by footstool Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 4:25 AM

The area around JFK is a slum, and your room neighbors may very well be people on the dole. Maybe you can take the LIRR to a hotel in Hempstead (or Garden City, better), and pick up your rental car in the morning? Of course, downtown Hempstead is a slum, too!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines