New York City Travel Answers

change location
Anja1216's Profile Photo

From Manhattan to Riverhead, Long Island: how do I get there most conveniently on a Sunday?

by Anja1216 Online Now Aug 24, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Hi, Everyone:

My friend and I will be staying on the Upper West Side for a long weekend, and she has some friends playing a gig in Riverhead, LI Sunday October 19. Checking out the LIRR, it seems the transportation is very limited. So we're wondering if there's an easier way to get there and back. She needs to be back in Manhattan before morning, as our flight takes off from Newark earlier the 20th. So is there a way--other than taxi--she can stay late for the show and still get back to the hotel that night? Buses or subways even?

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,
Anja1216

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • 10028's Profile Photo

Re: From Manhattan to Riverhead, Long Island: how do I get there most conveniently on a Sunday?

by 10028 Online Now Aug 24, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I don't think Hampton Jitney has service to/from the west side, but it would be easy enough for you to taxi/bus over to the east side to connect. The web site is www.hamptonjitney.com. Here's a link to their North Fork schedule. Riverhead is on that line.
    hamptonjitney.com/PDFS/NF_20...

They don't have late service, but they do have early morning buses.

I haven't looked at the LIRR schedule, but my guess is that it's much faster by train.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: From Manhattan to Riverhead, Long Island: how do I get there most conveniently on a Sunday?

by wister48 Online Now Aug 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Hi,
    You can always rent a car and drive straight out to Riverhead on the Long Island Expressway. That would give you the most flexability with times.
    Jean

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo

Re: From Manhattan to Riverhead, Long Island: how do I get there most conveniently on a Sunday?

by VZ-Pam Online Now Aug 24, 2008 at 2:53 PM

I think driving is the best option. I am not sure which part of Riverhead you are going & the chances of catching a bus there is slim . You need to look up if her friends play near any public transportation stop at all. LIRR will be the fastest & no subways in Riverhead.
    Its really a long way from Manhattan. I remember one time my sister drove me from Queens to Riverhead and it was like 50 mins drive. From Manhattan to Riverhead, it can be at least 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour drive.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Aug 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Riverhead is about 70 miles from Manhattan. The LIRR runs only two trains a day on the weekend, four during the week. So your best bet is the Hampton Jitney, which appears to have a Riverhead bus to New York about 9:50PM most days a week. Call the Jitney at 631-283-4600 direct to confirm and check the pickup point.

As implied strongly above, there are times it is best to rent a car. This is one of them.

• Re: From Manhattan to Riverhead, Long Island: how do I get there most conveniently on a Sunday?

by virtual786 Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM

It seems that this is not possible. October is off season for the bus and the LIRR doesn't seem to be of help, either.
    Renting a car in Manhattan, driving it to Riverhead and back might be a good idea; assuming that cost is not a concern Getting back to Manhattan might be a nightmare. Traffic at almost anytime of the day is horrible, except maybe if you leave Riverhead at 4:00 a.m. What time does the car rental office open on Monday morning; probably not early enough? Then you have to get to Newark airport. If you think that renting a car and drive it one wasy and take public transportation the other way, think again. It would probably be cheaper to buy a used car.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Coming back from what we presume to be an evening performance in Riverhead on the LIE is not as bad as it used to be several years ago, with the addition of an HOV lane as far in as the Cross Island Parkway where a lot of vehicles exit. From exit 71-73 Riverhead the only real traffic will probably only be western Nassau County exits 37=31 for 4 or 5 miles and then open up again most of the way in. We frequently drive back from Riverhead on Sunday nights, and up to 37 where we exit the worst we get at 7 or 8 PM is a brake check in the mid50's. Just DON'T SPEED IN SUFFOLK COUNTY ( exits 73 - 47 ).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines