New York City Travel Answers

change location

NY/NJ rental 3months

by abrowneyesbeauty Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Hello,urgent,important ?2females in US for 3months having been to US last time on coast FL to CA trip now NJ or can stay in NY close to it.Stay with someone close for months time.But for few months cant find economical accomodation in NJ or NY.Its long term need economical rental apartment/house or roomshare with someone looking for roommates or hotel/motel or homestay.Budget rent monthly 150dollars only. Pls only seriously reply if u know of any or lead to it.Do not reply only to say its impossible to find etc.Ty,hope this time too VT to the rescue :-)

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Re: NY/NJ rental 3months

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'm afraid I have no information, but if $150/month is seriously your lodging budget, you need to re-consider visiting New York City. Even government-subsidized housing is not that cheap.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'm afraid I have no information, but if $150/month is seriously your lodging budget, you need to re-consider visiting New York City. Even government-subsidized housing is not that cheap.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Is there an echo in here? ;)

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

$150 a month? Sorry but you couldn't find anything in Minneapolis for that let alone NYC. Better come up with a Plan B.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

i can be your echo mark. this budget for rental is simply not going to work.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Based on your question, I think you knew the replies you were going to get. Obviously you have researched the cost of accommodations in NYC/NJ. I'm curious what the least expensive place you found cost. Because $150 may buy you a couple of nights at a place I'd probably not stay in but $150 a month?! Not happening anywhere in the U.S.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:27 AM

I'll suggest something a little outside the box....have you considered camping? You can pick up a pretty spacious tent and sleeping bag/pad on that budget. Sign up for a membership at Planet Fitness for $10.00 a month where you can take a shower.

Problem solved :-)

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:53 AM

You may be able to buy a cheapo tent and sleeping bag for $150 but you'd have to put it up in a vacant lot somewhere, because even a campsite wll cost you more than $150 for a month. This is really a pretty ridiculous question, I must say. Hell, even if I were the OP's friend and letting her stay on my couch for a month, I'd expect more than $150/month in contributions to household expenses.

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 5:04 AM

Well at first I was joking about the camping but then thought about it and actually it is possible. You can camp in Harriman State Park which has quite a few ways to get there using public transportation from NYC with plenty of information how to do it nynjtc.org/view/hike?field_f.... So, while technically possible, probably not realistic....unless you are really desperate.

• gabesz's Profile Photo

by gabesz Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 5:27 AM

If there are 12 of you then $150 per month per person is possible. Otherwise you are looking at close to $150 per night average as a more realistic number anywhere you are going to travel in the US. If this is your real budget, I would seriously consider canceling the trip

• penpoison's Profile Photo

by penpoison Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:23 AM

sleep in your car/van and then join a gym for the daily shower as recommended by previous poster. you would have to move the car frequently though since parking is a pain in the neck.

$150 is the cost of ONE NIGHT STAY stay in a very reasonably priced hotel.

$!500 a month you can find something.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Just because it's amusing (and for John, if he's ever interested) here's a garden in Manhattan you can camp in.....for $75 a night per person.

campinmygarden.com/campsites...

But the tent is provided!

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Nice work Kate! I've lived in this area my whole life and never heard of this. I guess you can find anything in NYC!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I guess so - except for $150 a month (so far)! :O)

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Wow...I was surprised at the first answers that I read.....but then I re-read the post. I just assumed it said $150/night! $150/month? I hope you know a good friend/family who lives here who can help you out!

I would NOT recommend sleeping in your car in NY for several reasons:

A) Even thinking of bringing/renting a car in NY.

B) 2 women in a car in nYc may invite trouble.

C) Anyone sleeping in a car for an extended period of time may get the police called on them.

• footstool's Profile Photo

by footstool Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I live here, and took a nap in my car, in broad daylight, while wearing my business suit on my way home from work, because I was tired. Within minutes, the police knocked on my window -- they had thought I was dead. After I convinced them I was alive, they left me alone, but I was too shaken up to get back to sleep. The OP MUST have meant either $150 per day, or $1,500 per month. I don't think you could get a room in Haiti for $150 per month. And is the OP talking about 2 women, or Twelve women? Her language is not clear.

• footstool's Profile Photo

by footstool Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Hi Miss Fish!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Hi there, Ottoman! :O)

• Re: NY/NJ rental 3months

by abrowneyesbeauty Online Now Jul 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Ok was visiting each continent going to 1country in that continent(does it qualify for RTW dont know).

By the time got back VT id got cancelled so had to reopen.Next forgot password so excuse delay in replying.

Now my bad meant 150 per each person and

Yes she found rooms in apartments sharing rent for that budget in NY!

Also found farms and volunteer shelters providing accomodation with food but guess she found rental so she is going to share room in apartment.

This is for anyone who is badly in need for a place to stay in NY you can contact will give you contact details of those places if she is not going only.

Thank you for everyone who replied. Have a good weekend :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines