New York City Travel Answers

change location
Andzelika's Profile Photo

Chinese food in Chinatown?

by Andzelika Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Hello. Can anyone suggest a good place to have Chinese food for a reasonable price? Would Chinatown be a good choice to search one? I stay in Financial district and would rather not travel far from here. Thank you!

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

Re: Chinese food in Chinatown?

by TexasDave Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

The better, or 'real' Chinatown is now in Flushing, Queens.
    But not all is not lost. Actually www.menupages.com is a good tool as you can see restaurants in a certain neighborhood, or search for a particular cuisine. There are links to. obviously, their menus, and comments from people who have been there.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Try Hop Kee on 21 Mott Street (between Chatham Square and Mosco Street). Authentic, very cheap and good to very good. It's one of my favorites to where I end up most times when in Chinatown.

Important: Do not confuse with Hop Lee Restaurant also on Mott Street (16 Mott Street) which isn't bad in itself but not better than Hop Kee. But food taste as we know is all a matter of personal likes. So, best to compare menus and maybe ask locals. There are endless places you can select from in Chinatown obviously especially on Mott, Mulberry, Grand, Elizabeth Streets and many others, thus take time to explore and pick.

Hop Kee: 21 Mott Street (between Chatham Square and Mosco Street)

Tel. 212-964-8365.

Have fun.

1 member found this helpful

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I’m sure you will find few Chinese, but while you already in this great city and this area, try Vietnamese for a change :) This is the restaurant: Pho Grand (http://phograndny.com/) at 277c grand Street.
    It is about a km or so from the financial district, at list I could just walk here, the restaurant is reward winner and really great quality of food, excellent service for very little cost, I would surely go there for more in my next visit.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• dino335's Profile Photo

by dino335 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

There are SEVEN "Chinatowns" in NYC. The Chinatown in Lower Mahattan in the oldest and still the largest. To say that the Flushing, Chinatown is the "REAL" or "BETTER" Chinatown is not accurate. It is the second largest, but why anyone would say it's more "real" or "better" escapes me. Other Chinese enclaves are in East Harlem, Sunset Park, Brooklyn, Bensonhusrt, Brookyn, Homecrest, Brookyn Elmhurst, Queens, Corona, Queens.

2 members found this helpful

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Chinese food is always better in any Chinatown. I usually look for the restaurant that is full of Chinese diners, then you know it's good and can't go wrong by eating there.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

dino335 wrote:
    There are SEVEN "Chinatowns" in NYC. The Chinatown in Lower Mahattan in the oldest and still the largest. To say that the Flushing, Chinatown is the "REAL" or "BETTER" Chinatown is not accurate. It is the second largest, but why anyone would say it's more "real" or "better" escapes me.

Maybe because in several "10 Best"  NYC Chinese restaurant lists a third of the restaurants listed are in Flushing? That's not to say Canal St area, and others for that matter, don't have good chinese restaurants, but it is what most tourists know of as Chinatown (just like Little Italy) and there is a much better chance of running into a tourist trap there, In contrast, Flushing is not all touristy and the restaurants there reflect that.

• dino335's Profile Photo

by dino335 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Dave, while "Little Italy" certainly is no longer a "real" Italian neighborhood with maybe a handful of Italians living there, the lower Manhattan Chinatown is still a thriving Chinese neighborhood with over 100,000 Chinese living there - in fact it has expanded into what used to be Little Italy -- so it certainly is "real" and NOT "just like" Little Italy...sure there may be a few tourist traps, but plenty of good Chinese restaurants --the original poster is staying in the the Financial District -- within walking distance of Canal Street AND he said he didn't want to travel to far from there...

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Things change, but when I lived near NYC, we sometimes had dim sum at a place in Chinatown. I think it was called the Golden Unicorn.

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 1:08 AM

We had dim sum at Jing Fong few months back when we were in NYC. Its a huge banquet style restaurant where the waiter or waitresses will go from table to table with a dish on trolleys and u pick up those dishes that u fancy.. can't recall the exact location but it is at level 2 of a building in Chinatown.. perhaps u can google it...

• footstool's Profile Photo

by footstool Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Great New York Noodlehouse, 28 Bowery, corner of Bayard St. This is 1 block south of Canal St and the Manhattan Bridge. Get the salt baked chicken over white rice for around $7. You can order a side of pea pods. One block north, on Bayard & Mott Sts, have some ice cream at Haagen Dazs. Then walk another block north, to Columbus Park, to hear live Chinese music, watch real Chinese kids play basketball, and see vendors sell real Chinese $1 goods from their granny carts. Enjoy my city!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines