New York City Travel Answers

change location

Any danger or worries about going to NYC?

by Avid_travelbug27 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM

My husband and I have a trip booked to go to wrestle mania at the beginning of April. He was telling his Dad about te upcoming trip and his Dad has now convinced him that due to the recent flooding in NJ that both NJ and NYC are unsafe to be in right now and has convinced him we shouldn't go! Is there any truth in this?? I'm trying to convince him that it's fine but unfortunately he is following his dad and believing its unsafe due to crime as a result of the devastation. Has anyone had any issues whatsoever win traveling there at all?! I would love some advice to convince my husband otherwise so we can still go on the trip! Thanks so much!!

Quote & Answer
25 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Any danger or worries about going to NYC?

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I'm not from New York, but live outside a big city (Chicago). When natural disasters happen there are certainly areas that you don't want to go to, but the main tourist areas are all but up and operational in a very short period of time. Look at the devastation that occurred in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina several years ago. There were certainly areas to stay away from, but I was there several months later in the heart of New Orleans and there were absolutely no problems at all.

I'm sure you will get some direct responses from people who live and work in the New York area and they will tell you there is nothing to worry about.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM

NYC is fine - as always. It's one place that recovers quickly from any disaster or weather-related event. Go have a good time and don't be afraid to travel there!

1 member found this helpful

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Pretty sure you're old enough to decide on the merits of this trip

Either you listen to your dad or listen to reason and get the full and real story of this great city as it stands towering these days

Which ever persuasion you'll end up leaning towards will be a make or break for you about doubtless a possible unforgettable great travel experience

It would be foolish for you not to come

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM

You should not have any problems or else then would have cancel the event due to unsafe devastation. Then tell your dad that common sense will keep you out of danger and you are mature enough to figure this out to keep you and your husband out of harms way. You go girl to that wrestle mania! Stand up and be counted for. You already paid your dues.

cheers tommy x

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

NYC and New Jersey have long since recovered from the floods of last year. I think you will both feel safe touring both NYC and NJ.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I don't live in NYC either but wouldn't have any hesitation going given the chance (I have been there in the past). We have many members who do live there and I'm betting not one of them could give you a reason not to make this trip.

Keep in mind that NYC is a very large city and only certain parts were (sadly) affected by Sandy. Most of the area of Manhattan tourists go to see was largely undamaged, and it had very busy Christmas and New Year's seasons this year.

There is absolutely no more "danger" than in any other very large city in the world. Do what you would do anywhere else as a traveler: don't keep your cash or credit cards in your pocket or purse; store them safely under your clothing. Leave your shiny "bling" at home. Keep your Smartphone/iphone (should you have one) tucked safely away and do not use it in public: Smartphone theft is epidemic everywhere right now. Only carry the cash/cards on you that you need for the day - leave the rest locked up in the safe at your hotel. Don't overindulge in alcohol away from the hotel: drunks are very easy targets for crime.

I walked around Manhattan alone for days while my husband was there on business and never felt unsafe ( I am a 5'2" female) but also took all the usual precautions.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I don't know where your husband's father is getting his (completely incorrect) information, but what he's saying is completely ridiculous. I have been to NY about 20 times since Hurricane Sandy and there is absolutely no issue there. My sister and brother-in-law live in lower Manhattan; they lost power and water in their building during the storm, but since Nov. 2, 2012, they have had all their services back and there are no problems at all. If you plan on going to the most distant reaches of Queens, you will see some devastation, but I highly doubt you will be visiting those neighborhoods. Even if you did, you would not be in any danger. New York is not Haiti.

2 members found this helpful

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM

riorich55 wrote:
    I'm not from New York, but live outside a big city (Chicago). When natural disasters happen there are certainly areas that you don't want to go to, but the main tourist areas are all but up and operational in a very short period of time. Look at the devastation that occurred in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina several years ago. There were certainly areas to stay away from, but I was there several months later in the heart of New Orleans and there were absolutely no problems at all.

I'm sure you will get some direct responses from people who live and work in the New York area and they will tell you there is nothing to worry about.

I'm kind of disappointed that somebody chose to rate this as unhelpful.   

• dino335's Profile Photo

by dino335 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM

NO! In the first place, New York is the safest big city in the USA with the lowest crime rate. As far as flood damage -- the worst damage happened at the ocean coast, no where near the Medowlands in NJ where wrestlemania is this year. FYI I am a NYC resident and I am also a tour guide -- and we have had millions of visitors here since the storm! To put it simply, your husband's dad is full of .... has absoluitely no idea what he is talking about.

2 members found this helpful

• NYCson's Profile Photo

by NYCson Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

NYC is fine, especially all the tourist spots, in fact we encourage you to go to the areas that were hit like the Downtown seaport area and spend money there by eating at the restaurants and shopping at some of the places that are recovering from the Storm.

The areas that were devastated are not in Manhattan, they are in the outer borough's.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Oh yeah, NYC is just fine. However if you decide not to go, - I will get first dibs on your Wrestlemania tickets..........gotta keep the streak going 21 and 0........d:o)

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I'm hoping that all the positive answers given here will reassure you and that you come visit and experience this amazing city...

If however you will in the end give in to your father's baseless argument, then I can tell you that you'll be the loser for sure

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

We live just outside the city in NJ and have been to the city numerous times since the storm. There are absolutely no storm related issues with visiting. We were just at the Meadowlands complex (IZOD arena) last week and had no issues there as well. There was damage to the Jersey shore and many places are in the process of re-building. They are well away from where you will be.

NYC gets a bad rap and is really more safe - and friendly!!! - than it gets credit for. Just as in any big city, take the usual precautions and you will be fine.

Enjoy - it IS the best city in the world!!

• 10028's Profile Photo

by 10028 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Tell your father-in-law to stop watching old crime dramas. I don't know where you live, but it's most likely statistically more dangerous than New York is. New York is a big city with millions of people, so it's obviously always good to be aware of yourself and your belongings, it's not crime-free. Some parts can feel gritty, but most first-time visitors are surprised at how safe they feel.

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM

There was flooding in NYC?

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM

You know "ter", I have dit said that New Jersey is New York's backyard.......

.....it's just that some folks take that statement literally.........d:o)

(oh c'mon that's funny!....d:o)

by ter1413 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Totally agree.
    I was just echoing all of the posts above. Coming to the NY/NJ/CT areas is a no brainer. Things in the GREAT majority of these areas have been back to normal for months.
    Hell....after 9/11, nYc rebounded like no other big city in the world could have. I was back to work that Thurs (9/11 was a Tuesday.)
    Your loss if you stay away. I walked through Grand Central today after a meeting and there are so many tourists around.......

• clareabee's Profile Photo

by clareabee Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I wouldn't let what your father in law says put you off!!! I don't live in NYC but it is my favourite city - Crime in the city is one of the lowest in the world and I felt safe at all times - i saw a bigger police presence than anywhere else in the world! Where has your father in law got his info from?
    I know from coming on here and 'hearing' what locals said that things were well on the way to recovery pretty much straight away in Manhattan - go and enjoy this amazing city!!!!

• QuigleyM's Profile Photo

by QuigleyM Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:34 AM

NYC is one of the safest cities in the world--it's like Disney World!!! With you going to see the event, chances are you won't even go anywhere near downtown, which was most affected by the flooding. But even then, most things are back up and running. Go and have fun!!!

• acloud's Profile Photo

by acloud Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Couldn't agree more with all the posts. As a wannabe resident and a visitor to my favorite city several times a year, it's always safe. I'm a 50+ yo woman and I've traveled there alone, with groups of women, with my family, even my 80 yo mom, and stayed in every borough except Staten Island, usually renting a house, rarely a hotel. I've gone since the hurricane, staying in both Brooklyn and Queens and it felt exactly the same. Same energy, same great people, same excitement. GO, and ignore that worry wart!

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I asm just going to add this for clearer instructions. The Wrestlemania event will be held at the MedLife Stadium in Rutherford, New Jersey. April 7, 2013.

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Odinnthor wrote:
    I asm just going to add this for clearer instructions. The Wrestlemania event will be held at the MedLife Stadium in Rutherford, New Jersey. April 7, 2013.

Actually MetLife Stadium!  Outdoors in April.  It will be chilly.  Dress warm! 

by ter1413 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I had an appt on 44th Street today. Walked through Grand Central from my office. After the apps, walked down 5th Ave to the subway. The City is PACKED with tourists for St Paddy's day. People all over. OP, your father in law is WAY off base.

Geez....the hurricane was in Oct. And like others have said, some parts(especially near to the water) have been devastated. That being said, nYc and the arena is fine....

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Waiting for the response back from the original poster!

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Bowsprit wrote:
    suitcase in the bathtub for all the time you're not using the bathtub, I should have written....

You should have left in your original statement without your last statement. It might have been interesting to see some responses.  LOL 

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines